Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default PS2 and the new Gen

so I have to ask...forum related.

the new generation is coming out and I cant help notice that Modern gaming says:

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Press Modern
    From PlayStation 2 to present! Discuss the latest classics, the hottest new gaming technology, the latest direction of your favorite developer, or your thoughts on the latest adventure titles! As we always say: it doesn't have to be OLD to be CLASSIC.
    with PS3 currently out and PS4 coming out Nov 15th is there going to be a shift...
    say PS2 not being modern any more to being classic and the new modern forum sub text with one minor change to say

Quote Originally Posted by NikuSama
    From PlayStation 3 to present! Discuss the latest classics, the hottest new gaming technology, the latest direction of your favorite developer, or your thoughts on the latest adventure titles! As we always say: it doesn't have to be OLD to be CLASSIC.
    around Nov 15th?
    what do the users here think...

is it time for PS2 to be classic?

no poll just want to hear yays or nays and possibly why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I think it's time to put PS2 in the "classic" category now that the new generation is coming. The final game for the system is also coming out soon(PES 2014), though it doesn't have an exact release date yet as far as I know. But I read that the PS2 version of it would come out a bit later than the versions for other systems.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yep, PS2 cannot be considered modern gaming anymore. Either send it to the classic section, or create a new category that's "in between."

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

I guess it all depends on how you want to define "modern." I would set the line at around 10 years, in terms of a console's inception. PS2 hit the shelves in 2000, whereas PS3 debuted in 2006. So I would agree that perhaps it's time to hang the PS2 jersey up in the rafters and move it to the classic section.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Honestly, who still considers the PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox, and GameCube "current" consoles? Even the Wii and DS aren't selling new anymore. The conception of "current gen" hasn't changed in the whole time I've had my account here.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah to kids these days if anything has a wired controller as the only pack-in option with a system it is generally considered classic by them. The Gamecube has already become a grandfather and kind of already is classic as is the Game Boy Advance.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    Yeah, I think it's time to put PS2 in the "classic" category now that the new generation is coming. The final game for the system is also coming out soon(PES 2014), though it doesn't have an exact release date yet as far as I know. But I read that the PS2 version of it would come out a bit later than the versions for other systems.
    I completely agree with you. It is now time for PS2 to be in the classic category.

The next gen is fully here in the western world. Xbox One and PS4 are quickly becoming the new current gen.

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

It's just laughable that a website that declares itself as "The Video Game Database" refuses to categorize the 13 year old best selling video game console of all time as classic. It even says in the huge description for the forum that it doesn't have to be old to be CLASSIC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You make it sound as if classifying it as modern gaming is somehow an insult.

It's just an arbitrary divide to separate discussion, a hold over from the days when the forum was booming and the forum needed organization to best handle the various needs of the community which led to the creation of several sub-forums. It's not as if they're somehow cheating it of its birthright by having discussion assigned to this particular area of the forum.

Some of you are giving this way too much thought.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-22-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

It's not a big deal to me at all, whether PS2 remains in Modern Gaming, or gets moved to Classic Gaming.

That said, I will start to no longer refer to PS4 and Xbox One as 'next-gen' anymore. They are (along with Wii U) now what I consider to be the new current-gen.

The Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 are now, last-gen.
    After all, why would I, or anyone, still refer to last gen as being Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox and GameCube?

As we move into 2014 and past the time PS4 launches in Japan, NEXT-gen will start more & more to mean the future generation that refers to consoles that are now being planned, that will be going into the first stages of R&D (or already have) meaning Sony PS5, Microsoft's successor to Xbox One and Nintendo's 7th home console, which Iwata already stated back in January this year was being R&D'ed as of 2012 along with their next handheld which will be two separate pieces of hardware sharing the same hardware & OS software architecture, regardless of the actual performance/power/speed of each system. It is not as if they're making a single hybrid machine, as some might think--Be sure to read the last two paragraphs in the link very carefully.

Am I saying these future consoles will come out in 2-3 years? No. I am not saying that, at all. They most likely won't arrive until sometime during the 2018-2019 timeframe. Both Sony and EA have said they believe this new console cycle might not be quite as long as the last one (which was 7-8 years from the time Xbox 360 launched in 2005 and PS3 in 2006) but perhaps more like 5-6 years, which would be a more normal amount of time given this past cycle was an unusually long one.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 12-08-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    Yeah, definitely. The PS2 after all did come in Japan during Spring 2000 and later that year to North America. The year 2000 was more than a decade ago obviously and it's about time the PS2 is labeled a classic.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The system is 14 years old. In 2000, I owned a PS1, and got a PS2 not too long after it was released. I remember getting the Playstation magazine, and being stunned by the gameplay shots of the PS2. Metal Gear Solid 2 being the clincher.

Anyway, the system came out in 2000, and at this point the NES was 15 years old. I still had mine, along with my Genesis, and to me, the NES was an ol' school-retro thing. And I kept it around for that reason. So the PS2 being 14 years old now, it's as old as the NES was when it was first released, and the NES was retro then. So there ya go.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS2 is classic. there is no more games being released for it in America so therefore it's classic.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think we should go even further and reclassify Ps1/Saturn/N64 games and up as "modern gaming".

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I'm with Leo. Ps2 to me is a modern system because the bulk of the games for it are just low-res versions of today's cutting-edge console games with shitty camera controls. It's similar in concept to how snes games are just nes games with a higher color palette and wavetable sounds. Gaming hasn't really changed all that much since the ps2 was king, if you really think about it, other than distribution methods. No new genres really came about since then, just refinement of the old ones.

That's just my opinion, though. It's irrelevant to whether or not ps2 goes tothe classic gaming section. I'm fine with that. It's just such an arbitrary designation, that's all.
    Last edited by Graham Mitchell; 11-04-2013 at 07:40 PM.