Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: PS2 and the new Gen

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    I think we should go even further and reclassify Ps1/Saturn/N64 games and up as "modern gaming".
    I mentioned this exact thing before, I can't remember exactly when but I did mention it. For me PS1 and Saturn are the cutoff point, everything else is modern. I guess the N64 could be considered the cutoff at 64bit, but only because the Jaguar counts and was promoted as 64bit as well. Heck, for some people the cutoff would be the NES and up as modern.

No computer collector would consider an XP computer a "classic" and that's three generations old by now. Redefining the terms every few years makes little sense to me. DOS would normally be the cutoff, or Win 95/98 as that's still based on DOS. Even that can be late to classify as classic, to a lot of people classic computing died in the 80's.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I mentioned this exact thing before, I can't remember exactly when but I did mention it. For me PS1 and Saturn are the cutoff point, everything else is modern. I guess the N64 could be considered the cutoff at 64bit, but only because the Jaguar counts and was promoted as 64bit as well. Heck, for some people the cutoff would be the NES and up as modern.

No computer collector would consider an XP computer a "classic" and that's three generations old by now. Redefining the terms every few years makes little sense to me. DOS would normally be the cutoff, or Win 95/98 as that's still based on DOS. Even that can be late to classify as classic, to a lot of people classic computing died in the 80's.
    I agree. I consider all of those systems to be part of modern gaming. Heck, I would probably even include any of the exclusively CD-Rom based systems like 3do as they marked a distinct shift in the scope and complexity of games, as well as the introduction of a line of 3D world and character creation that has simply been refined and continued to the present day.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I believe it's time for three classifications, as opposed to two. PS2/GCN/Xbox/Dreamcast is not in the newest category of gaming, but it shouldn't be lumped with Atari either. Even lumping the 5th gen in "classic" with Atari is too much.

So I say "classic gaming" - anything pre-PS1/Saturn/N64. This includes any system on sale before the Saturn. From PONG to 3DO.

"3D era gaming" - 5th and 6th gen. This category could include the 7th gen in a few years, perhaps around 2020. I'm having difficulty coming up with a name for this era. Maybe "older gaming"? I know the 5th gen is what I started out on so it can't be lumped in with today's games.

"Modern gaming" - 7th gen to present.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    I believe it's time for three classifications, as opposed to two. PS2/GCN/Xbox/Dreamcast is not in the newest category of gaming, but it shouldn't be lumped with Atari either. Even lumping the 5th gen in "classic" with Atari is too much.

So I say "classic gaming" - anything pre-PS1/Saturn/N64. This includes any system on sale before the Saturn. From PONG to 3DO.

"3D era gaming" - 5th and 6th gen. This category could include the 7th gen in a few years, perhaps around 2020. I'm having difficulty coming up with a name for this era. Maybe "older gaming"? I know the 5th gen is what I started out on so it can't be lumped in with today's games.

"Modern gaming" - 7th gen to present.
    This has the potential to get argued into various sub-categories as the gaming generations go on.
    Let's stick with the two we've been using for a decade.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    This has the potential to get argued into various sub-categories as the gaming generations go on.
    Let's stick with the two we've been using for a decade.
    Moot point, this three category system can last for at least 10 years. 10 years from now, everyone's going to feel pretty silly calling PS2 "modern". After all, NES is only 15 years older than PS2. Some people call NES "modern", but that doesn't make that viewpoint any less silly. I can stretch my mind to call the PSX/N64 "semi-modern" and set them apart from the classic section.

Point being that the two categories WILL change. It will be infrequent, but will happen over time.
    Last edited by WelcomeToTheNextLevel; 05-22-2014 at 02:04 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I highly doubt you're going to convince anyone to buy into this dubious three category system, but more power to you.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I highly doubt you're going to convince anyone to buy into this dubious three category system, but more power to you.
    I actually like it, but would modify it slightly. Origins until 16-bit aka "Classic gaming", 3D games era, and virtual reality era, of which we are just starting to see the beginning.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    I actually like it, but would modify it slightly. Origins until 16-bit aka "Classic gaming", 3D games era, and virtual reality era, of which we are just starting to see the beginning.
    Good idea.

I think between the 5th and 6th gen is a shitty place to divide "classic" and "modern" in a 2014 world, then again DP set up its two category system at a time when it DID make sense (2000s). 6th gen was an evolutionary rather than revolutionary step over 5th gen. 6th to 7th gen was a much bigger step.

Online gaming was the revolutionary step between 6th and 7th gen. There were the first forays into online gaming during 6th gen but it didn't become widespread until the 7th gen. Also the graphics/sound began to approach lifelike levels ("virtual reality") during 7th gen, casual gaming came to prominence, and motion controls debuted on all three consoles, especialy the Wii.

3D gaming separated 4th and 5th gen. There was 3D on a few games in 4th gen, a very few 3rd gen games, and even a VERY few 2nd gen games (e.g. Tunnel Runner on 2600). 5th gen saw the VAST MAJORITY of games go 3D in just a few years, 1994-1996 or so.

You also could divide 1st/2nd gen from 3rd/4th gen along the video game crash of 1984, but there was no massive paradigm shift in the styles of games like the mid 1990s or mid-late 2000s. There were big differences, but our three category system covers an average of about 13 years per category. A four category system would cover less than 10 years per category, and that's not enough. I think that whenever the next great paradigm shift comes we'll know it, but a full category update should probably be about a once in 10-15 years thing. We're due in 2014 though.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

am I gonna have to just start posting PS2 related stuff in the classic forum?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    am I gonna have to just start posting PS2 related stuff in the classic forum?
    I do!
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

At this point, PS2 (and Xbox, GCN, and DEFINITELY Dreamcast) are firmly in the classic category. Hell, pre-Crash stuff seems like it's not "classic" so much as it is "vintage". Demand for pre-Crash stuff seems to have dropped, it's stuff for the NES and newer systems that are most sought-after now.

The PS2 has been out of production for almost a half-decade. It's as old as the Genesis was when I started collecting in '06 (1989-2006, 2000-2017, about 16.5 years) and the Genesis was definitely classic then. No games have come out on PS2 in over 3 years.

When this thread was first active (2013/14) the successors to the PS2 and its competitors were still around. PS3 and Xbox 360 were late in their lifecycle, but still getting many new games and their successors were just coming out. The Wii was on its last legs.

Now, three years later, the PS3 is on its very last legs, the Xbox 360's been out of production for a year, and the Wii probably ceased production a few years ago (2014-15?). The PS4 and Xbox One are in their prime. The Wii U is dead, replaced by the Switch.

By the time the PS2 was nearly dead (2011-ish) the PS1 was pretty much universally considered "classic", or at least not modern.

If you replace that "2011" with "2017", you can replace that PS2 and PS1 with PS3 and PS2.

So I'd call the PS2 unequivocally classic, and would suggest that any thread about the PS2 that has been started since 2014 be moved to the "classic" section. I'd DEFINITELY say that no one should be posting PS2 as "modern" today. The argument for keeping PS2 modern may have held some water in 2013-14 (although I would have called the PS2 classic around 2012) but by 2017 any valid argument to keep the PS2 in the "modern" category has dried up, and there's really no debate today. And of course, the Xbox and GCN are classic. The GCN has been out of production for 10 years: anyone that still claims it to be modern is out of their mind.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

With the state of this forum as it is and the inactivity of anyone who has the power to change anything, I'd be damn surprised to see even this sub-forum description updated, let alone somebody taking the time to sort through years of topics to shuffle the PS2/Xbox/GameCube threads into the Classic section.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I wouldn't shuffle at all but encourage and move newly made topics

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand I'm years late to the discussion, but certainly things can be modern without being current? Thats what the PS2 is to me.