Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumpman vs. Wizard on C64

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Jumpman vs. Wizard on C64

These two fine platformer games came out about the same time on the C64 (Jumpman came out for other systems as well), around '83 or '84 i believe? Both have a lot of similarities. Jumpman was the more popular game but Wizard (later re-released as Ultimate Wizard by Electronic Arts) was just as good, maybe even better?

Which do you all like better? I liked Wizard best

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I had Ultimate Wizard and it is excellent. After watching a video of jumpman, I would agree that Wizard is best.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I totally agree with you guys, Wizard & Ultimate Wizard were better games. But it's kinda like choosing which is your favorite child. Jumpman & Jumpman Junior were great games too & very addicting. But in the end Wizard & Ultimate Wizard are far more polished and offer a lot more variety. Plus, if I'm not mistaken Wizard and Ultimate Wizard had an editor so you could actually create your own levels. Where do you guys stand on Lode Runner?

Insert Coin (Level 0) ViciousRumours's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    I totally agree with you guys, Wizard & Ultimate Wizard were better games. But it's kinda like choosing which is your favorite child. Jumpman & Jumpman Junior were great games too & very addicting. But in the end Wizard & Ultimate Wizard are far more polished and offer a lot more variety. Plus, if I'm not mistaken Wizard and Ultimate Wizard had an editor so you could actually create your own levels. Where do you guys stand on Lode Runner?
    I love Lode Runner, I had it for C64 and NES and think its in a class of its own

Never really played Wizard but the funny thing is I had it with multiple games on blanks, but was very young and I had fun playing Jumpman though, so I don't feel like I missed out on much. I used to play games based on the titles, hoped they ran and see what they look like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I Love Jumpman and Jumpman Jr. I have spent many gaming sessions on the C64 with those two.

I have never heard of the Wizard games however. After watching some youtube videos they look quite appealing. They seem similar enough to the Jumpman games, but also look like they do their own thing with the formula. I'm gonna have to hunt a copy down eventually.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousRumours View Post
    I love Lode Runner, I had it for C64 and NES and think its in a class of its own

Never really played Wizard but the funny thing is I had it with multiple games on blanks, but was very young and I had fun playing Jumpman though, so I don't feel like I missed out on much. I used to play games based on the titles, hoped they ran and see what they look like.
    Ah Lode Runner...Kinda gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I think of it. Lode Runner didn't need fancy graphics or sound its gameplay was perfect IMHO and seriously addicting. I never played the NES version if you say it’s that good all probably pick it up on ebay. Is there any difference between the C64 and the NES version of Lode Runner? Also, you really should try Wizard/Ultimate Wizard their gameplay is very similar to Lode Runner and I think you'll really like them. I know I did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    I Love Jumpman and Jumpman Jr. I have spent many gaming sessions on the C64 with those two.

I have never heard of the Wizard games however. After watching some youtube videos they look quite appealing. They seem similar enough to the Jumpman games, but also look like they do their own thing with the formula. I'm gonna have to hunt a copy down eventually.
    You really should try and get a copy of Wizard/Ultimate Wizard. I saw Ultimate Wizards on Ebay today and it was pretty cheap and had free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64...#ht_1051wt_955

I think you'll really like them since you love Jumpman and Jumpman Junior. You might want to try Lode Runner as well. Lode Runner is one of my favorite C64 games and is very very addicting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah Lode Runner...Kinda gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I think of it. Lode Runner didn't need fancy graphics or sound its gameplay was perfect IMHO and seriously addicting. I never played the NES version if you say it’s that good all probably pick it up on ebay. Is there any difference between the C64 and the NES version of Lode Runner? Also, you really should try Wizard/Ultimate Wizard their gameplay is very similar to Lode Runner and I think you'll really like them. I know I did.
    The NES is my fav version but also it is actually a lot different I liked it better than the arcade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The NES is my fav version but also it is actually a lot different I liked it better than the arcade
    Now I'm curious. I gotta try it. If it's different from the C64 version but just as fun and its Lode Runner how can you go wrong? That's really rare for a console/home computer to be better than the arcade but it’s totally possible. Take Wizard of Wor for the C64, it's a perfect port of the arcade version but I actually like it better than the arcade. Double Dragon is another example. I loved the arcade version of Double Dragon but for some reason the Sega Genesis version seemed better to me. Maybe it was the fact that the Sega wasn't shaking me down for quarters like the arcade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never been a big platformer but my favorite games of this type back in the day on my apple II were Monetzuma's Revenge and Lode Runner

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I've never been a big platformer but my favorite games of this type back in the day on my apple II were Monetzuma's Revenge and Lode Runner
    Monetzuma's Revenge is for lack of a better word: dope. I have liked that game since it was ported on the Atari 2600 which I still play. Never played the Apple II version but how could you go wrong with Monetzuma's Revenge. I'm sure it's as good as the C64 version which was stellar. I recently found out Lode Runner is on the NES. Some folks here on the forum said it was good. I can't wait to try it on my NES.
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 02-03-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I'm curious. I gotta try it. If it's different from the C64 version but just as fun and its Lode Runner how can you go wrong? That's really rare for a console/home computer to be better than the arcade but it’s totally possible. Take Wizard of Wor for the C64, it's a perfect port of the arcade version but I actually like it better than the arcade. Double Dragon is another example. I loved the arcade version of Double Dragon but for some reason the Sega Genesis version seemed better to me. Maybe it was the fact that the Sega wasn't shaking me down for quarters like the arcade.
    Yes it has a plainer maybe childish look to it, but I like the music, the bricks the gold and even the ways you climb the ladder etc sound effects better on the NES version of Lode Runner. I also recall Montezumas Revenge was better on Apple II than the version I had on C64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Monetzuma's Revenge is for lack of a better word: dope. I have liked that game since it was ported on the Atari 2600 which I still play. Never played the Apple II version but how could you go wrong with Monetzuma's Revenge. I'm sure it's as good as the C64 version which was stellar. I recently found out Lode Runner is on the NES. Some folks here on the forum said it was good. I can't wait to try it on my NES.
    Yeah I love Montezuma's Revenge, it's perfect!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I love Montezuma's Revenge, it's perfect!!
    You told me a while back that Lode Runner was really good on the NES. I finally got it on Amazon and fired it up in my Retron. I was really shocked how good it is. It really gives the arcade version a run for its money. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Excellent games, Jumpman and Jumpman Jr. Wizard I only played once on C64, I don't remember it much.
    Lode Runners Rescue is an excellent isometric title on A8, you play Alaexandra and have to rescue Lode Runner.
    Spelunker on A8 is another all time fave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You told me a while back that Lode Runner was really good on the NES. I finally got it on Amazon and fired it up in my Retron. I was really shocked how good it is. It really gives the arcade version a run for its money. Thanks for the recommendation.
    That's great! I remember getting it at a time in childhood where the games you had were seen like the clothes you wore...it wasn't the coolest game but everyone who played it had a great time, and the level creator was fun in a group!

It's remarkable how the slight changes they made from the arcade helped improve the experience of a game already around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dear, sweet Jumpman. I was obsessed with that game once. Easily in my top 10. It would be tempting to say there could never be another game like it these days, but then "N" does come kind of close.

I tried looking at Wizard once and couldn't quite figure out what was going on, which in my regard made it instantly inferior to Jumpman. It seems to me the overall aesthetic isn't quite as pristine.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I always wondered how/if these games were related, but I guess it's just a "coincidence".
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wizard hands down.
    It was so addicting, I don't know how much time I spent on that game.

But it's kinda like choosing which is your favorite child.
    haha...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ultimate Wizard - The sounds as the levels build themselves at the start make it that much more epic.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.