Thread: Sega Genesis CDX Does Not Power On

Insert Coin (Level 0) ninjistar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Sega Genesis CDX Does Not Power On

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with a Sega Genesis CDX system not powering on. I picked this system up recently in a local sale. It appears to be complete - has the original A/V cable, power supply, joy stick, and controller. I was (and still am) pretty stoked to have acquired it! When I plug it in and power it on, I get nothing... no lights, no sounds, not even a cry for help. Has anyone experienced a simliar issue with this system? If all else fails, I may buy a new power supply for it. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Power supply, blown fuses, bad caps, blown <insert part name here> could be possible issues. Given there are no lights coming on I'd focus on getting an original CDX purpose power supply (you can use Genesis 2 supplies but the CDX has some unique specs on it's original brick) and if that still doesn't work I'd consider sending it to someone to get looked at. I've worked on multiple CDX consoles and they're a huge PITA due to the sheer amount of hardware stuffed into that tiny package. There are about a dozen ways to break it just taking it apart so I'd caution against doing it yourself unless you're used to taking apart electronics and can find some sort of guide on how to take it apart.

Thankfully the power board is one of the first things you can access by taking the back plate off. Assuming there isn't some sort of total systems failure going on I'd like to hope the voltage regulator is shot or a fuse is blown. Bad caps don't usually result in complete failure to power on but you can never rule it out on 90s SEGA hardware.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega CDs tend to blow their fuses, check that first. Then check the AC Adapter, it works on the xeye game gear nomad genesis 2 and 3 and the sega pico.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As said earlier, If you are not familiar with working with electronics, maybe better to handle the CDX to someone who does.

But you can start by checking that you have the right AC adapter and that it is working. This can be done with looking the specs up and checking the adapter output with a multimeter.
    This is the first thing to do in the troubleshooting chain.