Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 80's game by Imagic?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Favorite 80's game by Imagic?

One of the big American game developers and publishers, similar to Activision. They made games for Atari 2600, Intellivision, C64, TI-99 and more.

They came out with some great and some not so great games, but what was your very favorite?

The two best imo were Wing War and Moonsweeper, and my favorite was Wing War. You were this dragon that explored caverns and could shoot fire at other creatures. I was amazed when i first played it lol. I played it on a TI-99, but it also came out for the Colecovision. Still really love that game!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

My favorite one so far is Demon Attack for Atari 2600. It's like a better, more challenging version of Space Invaders or Phoenix.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Cosmic Ark!

Its one of the few 2600 games I return to every time I sit down with the system. Love that its controls are so simple they work well with the 2600's fiddly CX40.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know, I've always found Demon Attack way overblown. I take Phoenix over Demon Attack any day.

As for my favorite, I'd also say Moon Sweeper. Subterranea is also really good, but a rarer one. Other then that, I'd say Imagic is not really one of my favorite companies for 2600 games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Old School Gamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They made so many great Intellivison games that get overlooked because the system never was as popular as the Atari. I think my favorite is Atlantis on Intellivision. Its plays a bit differently then The Atari version and I like the day and night cycles and the variety of different alien craft you can shoot down. A close second would be Beauty and the Beast, my favorite take on the Donkey Kong style platform game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

White Water! for Intellivision is fun and challenging and the best game they released in my opinion.

Laser Gates and Trick Shot for VCS come in 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never cared for Demon Attack (Or Activision's MegaMania, another beloved base shooter that never grabbed me). I also prefer 2600 Phoenix over that one just like AtariLeaf. I wish the UFO stage was more difficult though.

There was always something about Atlantis that I loved despite the side AAA installations not being of much use. I just focused on using the center gun to my best advantage. I think I'd pick Atlantis.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Cosmic Ark!

Its one of the few 2600 games I return to every time I sit down with the system. Love that its controls are so simple they work well with the 2600's fiddly CX40.
    Many years ago I dived into this one one day and got into the zone and played it for quite a long time. The action eventually got so fast that it just couldn't keep up it seemed. I'd clearly shoot first yet I started to die anyways since my kills didn't seem to register in time to prevent the enemy ships from hitting my space ship.

You can see it here at 4:30. Notice the shot going off to the right of the screen as you're destroyed from an enemy that came in from that very direction. He got a shot off yet he still died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egSVrv1U4D0
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-12-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A tie between Cosmic Ark and Atlantis. Both of them are examples par excellent of break neck speed gaming fun on the 2600 that lost nothing by being on the ancient hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm going to go against everybody else's action game answers and go with Riddle of the Sphinx. True, there was action, but there was also a veneer of role-playing on it that I liked. Questing across the desert finding objects to let you pass certain shrines, and it took me a bit of time to figure out what exactly to offer at the final temple to finish the game. I liked it because it had more brains to it, I had to think a little more than when I played other Atari titles. Plus, it had an ending when most games didn't. I appreciated that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I'm going to go against everybody else's action game answers and go with Riddle of the Sphinx. True, there was action, but there was also a veneer of role-playing on it that I liked. Questing across the desert finding objects to let you pass certain shrines, and it took me a bit of time to figure out what exactly to offer at the final temple to finish the game. I liked it because it had more brains to it, I had to think a little more than when I played other Atari titles.
    Riddle of the Sphinx or, rather, its theme intrigued me deeply as a child. The game play never seized me, but I wanted it to. Attending a private Christian school, you hear about Egypt a bit here and there in Bible class and it always seemed like a magical place to me, so this game was a video game glimpse into that world for me when I got home and played my 2600.

Plus, it had an ending when most games didn't. I appreciated that.
    Did not know that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Dragonfire for the Intellivision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, it had a sort-of ending. As in, the gameplay ceased. There was no message like spending three dozen tries to beat the final boss on Karnov on the NES just to see "Congraturation!" or something equally goofy. Riddle of the Sphinx did end, it just went to the color-shifting like most Atari games do when you'd lose all your lives.

Texas Instruments offered Imagic the TI-99/4A. When TI decided to discontinue their home computer, they looked around for some other company to pick up the ball and run with it, and they really wanted Imagic to take it over. But they weren't doing all that well after the 1983 game crash, and they passed. i wonder what could have been accomplished if the TI-99/4A could have survived and become Imagic's main focus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Moonsweeper is one of my favorite games ever. I used to play that constantly on an old black and white TV. I just loved getting down to that planet and picking up the little guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gandhara View Post
    One of the big American game developers and publishers, similar to Activision. They made games for Atari 2600, Intellivision, C64, TI-99 and more.

They came out with some great and some not so great games, but what was your very favorite?

The two best imo were Wing War and Moonsweeper, and my favorite was Wing War. You were this dragon that explored caverns and could shoot fire at other creatures. I was amazed when i first played it lol. I played it on a TI-99, but it also came out for the Colecovision. Still really love that game!!
    Wing War also on A8 and Atari 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with Atlantis on the Intellivision. I like that version so much better. Feels more like Colony 7 with the ability to scroll your cross hairs around the screen instead of the Atari 2600 version which feels more like an updated version of Air/Sea Battle.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    My favorite one so far is Demon Attack for Atari 2600. It's like a better, more challenging version of Space Invaders or Phoenix.
    LOVE Demon Attack, I played the crap out of that game as a kid. I don't have my 2600 hooked up anywhere atm (need to get/do a composite video mod), but that's one of my go-to games for just sheer fun and mindless blasting action. Loved the "warp" effect for enemies entering the level, was always impressed by that bit of technical wizardry.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, it had a sort-of ending. As in, the gameplay ceased. There was no message like spending three dozen tries to beat the final boss on Karnov on the NES just to see "Congraturation!" or something equally goofy. Riddle of the Sphinx did end, it just went to the color-shifting like most Atari games do when you'd lose all your lives.

Texas Instruments offered Imagic the TI-99/4A. When TI decided to discontinue their home computer, they looked around for some other company to pick up the ball and run with it, and they really wanted Imagic to take it over. But they weren't doing all that well after the 1983 game crash, and they passed. i wonder what could have been accomplished if the TI-99/4A could have survived and become Imagic's main focus.
    yeah i heard about Imagic doing this.
    but you did know Milton Bradley took over the TI-99 instead and made that MBX system add on? The games were pretty good too

Internet Ent Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MadMikeJ83
    Steam
    mad-miker83

Atlantis for the 2600, that was a very well designed, very well balanced, very well programmed game. Most of the Imagic titles I've played (all for the 2600) have been pretty good. But Atlantis sticks out for having a very good balance between gameplay, graphics, sound, and overall "feel" to me considering the 2600's paltry resources.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Riddle of the Sphinx for sure. Atlantis was also fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I really enjoyed Beauty and the beast on intellivision, im surprised nobody mentioned it!