Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What system is that game better on?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What system is that game better on?

Hey all,

Retro fan, but new to this site..and a big fan of the Roundup...

Anyway, didnt see this around and wanted to see if this list could be started...In my searches and reading about various retro games, I have seen and heard people mention "this game is best on the....system". The Roundup the guys did about the Top 100 games really gave me the want to start a list of as many games as possible and have a running list of what retro games are best played on what system? Not sure if this has been done on a large scale or not before...but could be a great reference for anyone going forward looking to play a game in its best format...Take a game like Phantasie or Might and Magic. Might and Magic looks WAY better on the NES but not sure if it plays as well or has as many options...so the goal would be to find hte BEST overall playability for each game.

Any takers in working on this?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure there is an older thread that tried to do the same thing.

I think a better question would be, are there any that, by being the worse, have been crippled to an unplayable state?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this is a topic best opened up to the opinions of various users, rather than tackled by a single person. Mainly because very few people have played the full spectrum of retro platforms thoroughly enough. Then you can take their feedback, average it, and cross-reference it.

And the older similar forum topic is also worth taking a look at.

So on the topic of this thread, I was actually just thinking that Mr. Do on the ColecoVision is the closest experience that I've had to the arcade game. Mainly because it adheres to the rules set out on the coin-op. I noticed that other versions (like the ones on the Apple II and Tandy Color Computer) seem to deviate from the rules of the arcade game (apples breaking after falling only one level, non-Alpha Monster baddies eating apples, etc...).

The Amiga and Atari ST have nice versions of Marble Madness.

NES has an excellent version of Donkey Kong Junior.

Q*Bert is solid on NES and ColecoVision.

Space Harrier is pretty much exact on 32x.

Thexder seems to run best on the Tandy 1000. The Color Computer 3 and MSX versions are not quite as good.

Lode Runner is awesome on the Apple II (and pretty darned good on the PC).

The Killing Game Show, Rodland, Speedball II, Hired Guns, and Pinball Dreams appear to be best on the Amiga.

Impossible Mission is great on the C64.

Moon Patrol, Qix, and Crystal Castles - Tandy Color Computer (under slightly different names. Graphics are fair; gameplay is excellent)

Starblade is quite close to the arcade version on the 3DO

Omega Race runs nicely on the Vic-20

Mr. Do's Castle - so far I'm voting ColecoVision

R-Type - TG16

Scramble - Vectrex (looks different, but plays like a dream)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Highly prone to opinions, and as has been said, for a fair rating, the rater has to have played said game on ALL systems that saw a port. Otherwise, the ratings will be unfairly skewed.

For instance, the third post states, "Q*Bert is solid on NES and ColecoVision", but makes no mention of the VCS, 5200, PSX, or myriad other versions. How do I know that is a fair assessment of Q*Bert if the rater hasn't considered the other versions?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is an older thread that tried to do the same thing.

I think a better question would be, are there any that, by being the worse, have been crippled to an unplayable state?
    Yes, this one: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...-games-is-best

Except that one is primarily for 8 bit games, which makes sense since there was very little crossover in the 16 bit era and anything past PS2 doesn't belong in this thread.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Spider-Man X-Men for SNES, Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear is a catch 22. The portable ones are terrible, but with the console ones you have to choose what is more important to you. Being able to finish the game more easily or having better graphics and sounds.

The SNES version is by far more visually and audibly detailed, but when it comes to Gambit's 2nd boss, that battle is a nightmare that will have you trying over and over again.

The Genesis version is a bit more crippled in the audio and visual department, but it seems that Gambit's 2nd boss fight has its difficulty toned down quite a bit. Those fireballs and lasers that come flying at you follow a more concrete pattern allowing you to avoid the obstacles more easily and defeat the boss. It took me fewer tries to defeat her by a long shot.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

One would have to play ALL versions first to determine, otherwise it would be only guessing.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

WWF Royal Rumble on the Genesis took a bit of a hit on the graphics and sound, but had a number of roster changes from the SNES original, so for wrestling fanatics it was still somewhat worth playing.

Its predecessor Super Wrestlemania was like a totally different game between SNES and Gen, instead of just roster changes, they actually implemented finishing moves for the wrestlers, making it actually worth playing. Of course there were still downgrades in graphics and sound, and since it only supported the 3 button pad controls were less than optimal.

WWF Raw pretty much the only difference was the typical graphic and sound downgrade, almost no reason to go for the Gen version. However, they did put out a 32x port. It looked/sounded better than the Gen, but I'd still give the SNES one the nod for best. The roster was mostly unchanged, though they gave Lex Luger new music, and added a hidden extra wrestler. Supposedly it was Kwang, but the in game character model didn't look much like the real guy. Some of the timing on 32x is off as well (good luck pinning a guy after giving him a Razor's Edge finisher, he'll be on his feet almost instantly) so overall, I'd go for the SNES.

(there's also a WWF Raw game for Xbox, but it's an entirely different game put out years later, so not something to compare with the 16 bit versions, also it's absolute garbage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    One would have to play ALL versions first to determine, otherwise it would be only guessing.
    Exactly.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, but if each could give their opinion on whatever system they were playing on, a consensus of sorts could be realized.

I think a site that updated itself regularly with new additions or changes in "best system" for already listeed games based on user inpuit / votes whatever (havent figured out the semantics set) would be a great thing for retro fans to look at.

Then, with a form, each could be added for a certain system and the full list kept via a DB...
    Last edited by Smack2k; 11-14-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can speak for home console versions of double dragon.

2600 is unplayable and very unnecessary.

I'm actually a little polarized on the NES vs. Master system

Nes is by far the more solid game in both sound and visuals (although the Master System is a bit more colorful)

However Master system is more tue to the arcade plus actual co-op (at the expense of some sprite flickering)

I've always been interested in which games tend to be better on Genesis than SNES myself, considering i grew up SNES but found out games like Earthworm Jim and and Aladdin.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Spider-Man X-Men for SNES, Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear is a catch 22. The portable ones are terrible, but with the console ones you have to choose what is more important to you. Being able to finish the game more easily or having better graphics and sounds.

The SNES version is by far more visually and audibly detailed, but when it comes to Gambit's 2nd boss, that battle is a nightmare that will have you trying over and over again.

The Genesis version is a bit more crippled in the audio and visual department, but it seems that Gambit's 2nd boss fight has its difficulty toned down quite a bit. Those fireballs and lasers that come flying at you follow a more concrete pattern allowing you to avoid the obstacles more easily and defeat the boss. It took me fewer tries to defeat her by a long shot.
    Interesting, I don't remember having any more difficulty with the second Gambit boss in the SNES version (I've beaten both games).

To me, the music and controls are so much better in the SNES version that it's no contest. The Genesis version is certainly playable, but the soundtrack is kind of embarrassing by comparison (not to mention that several tunes have been cut) and it's got some weird bugs like being able to jump over the rolling ball in Gambit's first stage.

I've played the portable versions a tiny bit, but both of them seemed painfully cut-down.

BTW we had a pretty nice thread of super-systematic SNES vs. Genesis comparisons over on Sega-16, though we only got 10-12 entries before it fizzled out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neb6 View Post
    R-Type - TG16
    I don't think R-type for the TG16 is a definite port of the game,mostly for how bad it suffers from flicker.For it's the time it was the best port of the game.Still i think R-types for the PS1 is closet to the arcade original.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack7 View Post
    I can speak for home console versions of double dragon.

2600 is unplayable and very unnecessary.

I'm actually a little polarized on the NES vs. Master system

Nes is by far the more solid game in both sound and visuals (although the Master System is a bit more colorful)

However Master system is more tue to the arcade plus actual co-op (at the expense of some sprite flickering)

I've always been interested in which games tend to be better on Genesis than SNES myself, considering i grew up SNES but found out games like Earthworm Jim and and Aladdin.
    I took a look at both last night, trying my best not to allow my total BIAS toward the NES Version due to nostalgia to take over...that being said:

Colors / "Look" - Master System - It just looks better on screen and is much more colorful

Gameplay - NES - I know the NES Version has some complete differences from the Arcade but I like it better as a home game. The ability to gain more moves with each heart gained is something I like and gives you something to try and get quickly, especially when punching everyone gets you there quicker, but with the risk of getting hit more. Sure Master System has co-op, but NES has the fight mode...

Arcade Closeness - Master System, the game looks better nad is much more true to the Arcade

There are other categories, but I will start with those.....so in teh end, as much as I LOVED that NES Version growing up and played constantly with my friend and could NEVER beat the Machine Gun guy....I say the MASTER SYSTEM version is the better "game".

As for the 2600 version...I think its a pretty cool version of the game for the capabiliites of that system

Its the 7800 version that is flat out BAD.
    Last edited by Smack2k; 11-15-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Neb6 View Post
    Mr. Do's Castle - so far I'm voting ColecoVision
    Surely the C64 version is superior, with the larger playfield and multicolored sprites?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smack2k View Post
    trying my best not to allow my total BIAS toward the NES Version due to nostalgia to take over...
    That's rough because for many of us, the NES practically was our childhood. Meanwhile Sega (very)quietly released the Master System into a market the NES owned. I personally didn't even know the Master System existed until emulation existed.

This guy has his opinion on some:
    http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/Comparisons%20Main.html

A quote from Barone at Sega-16:
    "Cross platform games which show Genesis/Mega Drive strengths over the SNES* (it doesn't mean the Genesis versions are superior in every way)
    Aero the Acro-bat and Zero: The Kamikaze Squirrel games - SNES versions have the gameplay hurt by the cropped/narrower view due to the lower resolution.
    Battletoads & Double Dragon - Bio screens simplified and cut scenes using smaller/recycle sprites on the SNES; more background animation on the Genesis; same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Link 1: http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/conten...sis-comparison
    Link 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOjViZaaLrQ
    Cool Spot - Wrong aspect ratio in the SNES version graphics due to the lack of 320x224 screen res support, some animation cuts, missing a few music tracks and some smaller background objects when compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Link: http://retro-sanctuary.com/Comparisons-Cool-Spot.html
    Demolition Man - Cropped view due to lower resolution, with more slowdown and noticeably inferior sfx quality on the SNES.
    Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSwEprjE0E
    Earthworm Jim - Wrong aspect ratio in the SNES version graphics due to the lack of 320x224 screen res support, a whole level is missing, missing/recycling sfx and some animation cuts when compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version using the very same cartridge size (24 Mbit).
    Link: http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/compa...orm%20jim.html
    Flashback - Plagued with slowdown and loading pauses on the SNES; also lack some sfx and music tracks while using a bigger cart (16 Mbit) than the Genesis/Mega Drive version (12 Mbit). Link: http://youtu.be/2B-F59VNbrw?t=28m
    International Superstar Soccer - A lot of slowdown on the SNES in the most intense moments while trying to score a goal (when there's a lot of players appearing on the screen at the same time).
    James Pond II: Robocod - Tons of slowdown on the SNES.
    Joe & Mac - Tons of content missing (moves, enemies, levels, animation frames) on the SNES using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Link: http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/compa...and%20Mac.html
    Kawasaki Superbike Challenge - Only the Genesis/Mega Drive version is polygonal (with very good frame rate for the time and hardware) and a lot better looking than the SNES version.
    Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j5HinyVHgM
    Mickey Mania - More levels and no loading pauses prior to the stages like on the SNES while using the very same cartridge size (16 Mbit).
    Micro Machines 2 - Reduced sprites for the cars in the selection screens and a few animation frames missing on the SNES when compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Link: http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/Compa...achines-2.html
    Mortal Kombat II - SNES version runs in permanent slowdown, lower resolution and has far worse characters' idle animation.
    Mortal Kombat 3 - SNES version runs in permanent slowdown, lower resolution (with background art being changed/reduced to fit the screen and thus looking a bit different from the original arcade game) always noticeably slower than the Genesis version - which slowdowns only during combos.
    Mr. Nutz - No loading pauses prior to the stages like on the SNES while using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    NHL series from EA - Far better frame rate on the Genesis/Mega Drive.
    Out Of This World - Plagued with slowdown and loading pauses on the SNES.
    Outlander - Far less slowdown on the Genesis/Mega Drive during the driving segments.
    PGA Tour series - Far shorter loading times on the Genesis/Mega Drive.
    Phantom 2040 - Animated clouds and no in game loading pauses like on the SNES using the very same cartridge size (16 Mbit).
    Populous - Far better frame rate on the Genesis/Mega Drive.
    Race Drivin' - A lot more slowdown on the SNES.
    Raiden Trad - The number of enemies' bullets was reduced on the SNES version and it still has a lot more slowdown than the Genesis/Mega Drive version.
    Samurai Shodown - Far bigger sprites on the Genesis/Mega Drive version, with far better sfx quality. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ENYmSzxZY
    Side Pocket - Slowdowns on the SNES with none of its music tracks matching the quality of the jazz stylized drums of the Genesis/Mega Drive version.
    Link 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3p3-...DEC3FE4AD32257
    Link 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnVYE...D0F0172E1E3BF1
    Strike series - Far better frame rate on the Genesis/Mega Drive with higher screen resolution.
    The Chaos Engine - A lot less slowdown on the Genesis/Mega Drive with higher screen resolution.
    The Lion King - Cropped screen in the SNES version due to the lack of 320x224 screen res support and some animation cuts when compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version using the very same cartridge size (24 Mbit).
    The Lost Vikings - Higher resolution and five extra levels on the Genesis/Mega Drive using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Thunder Force III - A lot of slowdown on the SNES.
    Toy Story - Lower resolution with cropped image view on the SNES, animation cuts, a whole level missing and Pizza Planet level with bad frame rate and only drawing a small portion of the screen, while on the Genesis/Mega Drive it's faster and fullscreen using the very same cartridge size (32 Mbit).
    Link 1: http://youtu.be/p5L-YtrQg5k?t=11m8s
    Link 2: http://youtu.be/p5L-YtrQg5k?t=19m39s
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - SNES version runs in permanent slowdown, lower resolution (with background art being changed/reduced to fit the screen and thus looking a bit different from the original arcade game) always noticeably slower than the Genesis version - which slowdowns only during combos.
    WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game - SNES version has far worse frame rate and allows only three wrestlers on screen against four on the Genesis/Mega Drive. SNES version also can't play different voice/commentary samples as quick as the Genesis/Mega Drive version which is far closer to the arcade.

*All gameplay videos linked were recorded from real hardware AFAIK."

Again, as his note at the beginning states, that doesn't necessarily mean the Genesis version is better, but that is what those versions do better than their SNES counterpart. If someone does want to take a good look at them, there's something to be on the lookout for.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

That's rough because for many of us, the NES practically was our childhood. Meanwhile Sega (very)quietly released the Master System into a market the NES owned. I personally didn't even know the Master System existed until emulation existed.

This guy has his opinion on some:
    http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/Comparisons%20Main.html

"Cross platform games which show Genesis/Mega Drive strengths over the SNES* (it doesn't mean the Genesis versions are superior in every way)
    Aero the Acro-bat and Zero: The Kamikaze Squirrel games - SNES versions have the gameplay hurt by the cropped/narrower view due to the lower resolution.
    Battletoads & Double Dragon - Bio screens simplified and cut scenes using smaller/recycle sprites on the SNES; more background animation on the Genesis; same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Link 1: http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/conten...sis-comparison
    Link 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOjViZaaLrQ
    Cool Spot - Wrong aspect ratio in the SNES version graphics due to the lack of 320x224 screen res support, some animation cuts, missing a few music tracks and some smaller background objects when compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Link: http://retro-sanctuary.com/Comparisons-Cool-Spot.html
    Demolition Man - Cropped view due to lower resolution, with more slowdown and noticeably inferior sfx quality on the SNES.
    Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSwEprjE0E
    Earthworm Jim - Wrong aspect ratio in the SNES version graphics due to the lack of 320x224 screen res support, a whole level is missing, missing/recycling sfx and some animation cuts when compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version using the very same cartridge size (24 Mbit).
    Link: http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/compa...orm%20jim.html
    Flashback - Plagued with slowdown and loading pauses on the SNES; also lack some sfx and music tracks while using a bigger cart (16 Mbit) than the Genesis/Mega Drive version (12 Mbit). Link: http://youtu.be/2B-F59VNbrw?t=28m
    International Superstar Soccer - A lot of slowdown on the SNES in the most intense moments while trying to score a goal (when there's a lot of players appearing on the screen at the same time).
    James Pond II: Robocod - Tons of slowdown on the SNES.
    Joe & Mac - Tons of content missing (moves, enemies, levels, animation frames) on the SNES using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Link: http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/compa...and%20Mac.html
    Kawasaki Superbike Challenge - Only the Genesis/Mega Drive version is polygonal (with very good frame rate for the time and hardware) and a lot better looking than the SNES version.
    Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j5HinyVHgM
    Mickey Mania - More levels and no loading pauses prior to the stages like on the SNES while using the very same cartridge size (16 Mbit).
    Micro Machines 2 - Reduced sprites for the cars in the selection screens and a few animation frames missing on the SNES when compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Link: http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/Compa...achines-2.html
    Mortal Kombat II - SNES version runs in permanent slowdown, lower resolution and has far worse characters' idle animation.
    Mortal Kombat 3 - SNES version runs in permanent slowdown, lower resolution (with background art being changed/reduced to fit the screen and thus looking a bit different from the original arcade game) always noticeably slower than the Genesis version - which slowdowns only during combos.
    Mr. Nutz - No loading pauses prior to the stages like on the SNES while using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    NHL series from EA - Far better frame rate on the Genesis/Mega Drive.
    Out Of This World - Plagued with slowdown and loading pauses on the SNES.
    Outlander - Far less slowdown on the Genesis/Mega Drive during the driving segments.
    PGA Tour series - Far shorter loading times on the Genesis/Mega Drive.
    Phantom 2040 - Animated clouds and no in game loading pauses like on the SNES using the very same cartridge size (16 Mbit).
    Populous - Far better frame rate on the Genesis/Mega Drive.
    Race Drivin' - A lot more slowdown on the SNES.
    Raiden Trad - The number of enemies' bullets was reduced on the SNES version and it still has a lot more slowdown than the Genesis/Mega Drive version.
    Samurai Shodown - Far bigger sprites on the Genesis/Mega Drive version, with far better sfx quality. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ENYmSzxZY
    Side Pocket - Slowdowns on the SNES with none of its music tracks matching the quality of the jazz stylized drums of the Genesis/Mega Drive version.
    Link 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3p3-...DEC3FE4AD32257
    Link 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnVYE...D0F0172E1E3BF1
    Strike series - Far better frame rate on the Genesis/Mega Drive with higher screen resolution.
    The Chaos Engine - A lot less slowdown on the Genesis/Mega Drive with higher screen resolution.
    The Lion King - Cropped screen in the SNES version due to the lack of 320x224 screen res support and some animation cuts when compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive version using the very same cartridge size (24 Mbit).
    The Lost Vikings - Higher resolution and five extra levels on the Genesis/Mega Drive using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Thunder Force III - A lot of slowdown on the SNES.
    Toy Story - Lower resolution with cropped image view on the SNES, animation cuts, a whole level missing and Pizza Planet level with bad frame rate and only drawing a small portion of the screen, while on the Genesis/Mega Drive it's faster and fullscreen using the very same cartridge size (32 Mbit).
    Link 1: http://youtu.be/p5L-YtrQg5k?t=11m8s
    Link 2: http://youtu.be/p5L-YtrQg5k?t=19m39s
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - SNES version runs in permanent slowdown, lower resolution (with background art being changed/reduced to fit the screen and thus looking a bit different from the original arcade game) always noticeably slower than the Genesis version - which slowdowns only during combos.
    WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game - SNES version has far worse frame rate and allows only three wrestlers on screen against four on the Genesis/Mega Drive. SNES version also can't play different voice/commentary samples as quick as the Genesis/Mega Drive version which is far closer to the arcade.

*All gameplay videos linked were recorded from real hardware AFAIK."

Again, as his note at the beginning states, that doesn't necessarily mean the Genesis version is better, but that is what those versions do better than their SNES counterpart. If someone does want to take a good look at them, there's something to be on the lookout for.
    Yeah with a lot of Genesis games the gameplay can be a lot better, but they often don't have as much color detail or as advanced instrument sounds. It's like for slightly better graphics and sound you have to trade off good aspect ratio or speed sometimes. You have to pick between what matters more to you. Some people even picked the NES version of Battletoads/Double Dragon for some reason (it was released earlier than the Genesis version, then finally the SNES version) so sound and graphics aren't always the thing that grabs them.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I remember thinking that the NES version of Battletoads and Double Dragon had better music, but I could be mistaken.

I have to agree about Aero the Acro-Bat too. Sure, the SNES version had that one mode 7 bonus stage, but it had worse music and I felt it didn't play as well.

As for others, from personal experience:

Bubsy - I remember this being better on the SNES, but the only difference I noticed was that the music would change slightly if you went underground or whatever.

Might and Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum - PC versus NES: I dislike the PC version, but the NES one is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Note that there's a TurboGrafx version in Japan, but I've never played it.

Might and Magic: Gates to Another World - I've played the PC, Genesis, SNES Euro and SNES Japanese (not the same game) versions, although admittedly I didn't play the SNES versions extensively. Just from what I noticed though: The Genesis version doesn't implement "range" in the battle system, the SNES Euro version has ugly graphics and dungeons aren't dark, rendering the light spells useless, and the Japanese one plays nothing like the original game and so would be worth checking out if someone would translate it. My personal preference is the Genesis version, because I like its soundtrack, but its really only slightly better than the (mostly silent) PC original.

Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra - I sampled all the 16-bit console ports (Except the Turbografx one) and honestly, I feel like they all suck. The game has a cursor-driven interface which works great with a mouse but not a controller. I remember one of the 16-bit ports changing the originally-catchy music to something lame, and one or maybe all of them having almost permanent slowdown. The SNES version also has censorship (Castle Bloodreign is now called Castle Freereign) due to Nintendo being pussies.

While I'm here, I want to say it's always bothered me that some websites erroneously call it "Isles of Terror." It's Terra. That's the name of Sheltem's homeworld. Terra. Like the esper. Sorry, I'll calm down now.

Pool of Radiance - I've played the PC and NES versions and I much prefer the PC version. The NES version has music, but the graphics are mostly gray walls and squat characters, your party isn't as big (you can only have five members, and that includes hirelings) and since you don't have keyboard shortcuts things like healing when you rest are made more of a hassle. That said, I'm pretty sure you don't have to look up journal entries in the NES version so it may be better for some people. Also, the PC version allows you to port your characters over to its sequel, Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Ultima III: Exodus - Comparing the PC to the NES version. I found the NES version superior. While I like the CGA graphics (yes I'm nutty like that) and that the PC version makes gameplay quick and convenient due to keyboard hotkeys, in the NES version you have better graphics, decent music, townspeople who actually have interesting things to say, there's more of a quest since you can't dig up the Exotics (called Mystics here) right off the bat, and the ending is actually worth it (whereas in the original it was just a congratulations message).

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar - PC versus NES: Unlike the last game, here I prefer the PC version. A part of the problem is that this time, the NES version makes the enemies invisible (so battles are random now) except the game still treats them as if they're wandering the map, so you can get into a battle even if you're standing still. On top of that, I felt the NES version was just too sluggish (not in terms of frame rate, but just... you moved faster on the PC, and battles went by faster, and stuff). The graphics were good and some of the music was decent, but overall the NES version didn't do anything to mitigate the annoyance of playing with a menu-driven interface instead of keyboard hotkeys, unlike Ultima III. By the way, there's a Sega Master System version, which I remember having exactly the same graphics as the PC version. I saw no reason to prefer that port.

Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny - It's been awhile since I played the NES version but I remember it having a completely different game engine (the PC version's gameplay was like Ultima IV with refinements. If I remember right, the NES version played like Ultima VI, which used a completely different interface and combat system). It's been awhile tho, so you may want to check for yourself.

Wizardry 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 - Just to make this clear: the only console port of Wizardry 4 was for the PC Engine in Japan. I've never played any of the PC Engine ports. I have, however, played the NES ports and the SNES compilation "Story of Llygamyn" and Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom. And overall, the main differences are graphics (though the NES version actually lets you set the graphics to be like the original PC game), the presence of music (which is quite decent) and in some games, the maps are redesigned (specifically Wizardry 2--the original PC game required you to port characters from the first and the game was designed around this. The NES version fixed that, and the SNES version is based on the NES version). Basically, what it comes down to is what's more important to you: Do you like the speed and convenience of keyboard hotkeys, or do you prefer a game with music and whose graphics consist of more than just line art? The SNES version also conveniently puts a symbol next to a character's name whenever they're able to level up.

I need to note something: The "Story of Llygamyn" collection mistakenly places Knight of Diamonds as Wizardry 3. It's actually Wizardry 2.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 11-15-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

"Joe & Mac - Tons of content missing (moves, enemies, levels, animation frames) on the SNES using the very same cartridge size (8 Mbit).
    Considering the level differences, I'd consider SNES Joe & Mac its own game (just watching an arcade playthrough, I'd say the SNES definitely has more of a platforming emphasis). From what I've seen, the other versions (NES, Game Boy and Genesis) look to be trying to closer to the arcade game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smack2k View Post
    I took a look at both last night, trying my best not to allow my total BIAS toward the NES Version due to nostalgia to take over...that being said:

Colors / "Look" - Master System - It just looks better on screen and is much more colorful

Gameplay - NES - I know the NES Version has some complete differences from the Arcade but I like it better as a home game. The ability to gain more moves with each heart gained is something I like and gives you something to try and get quickly, especially when punching everyone gets you there quicker, but with the risk of getting hit more. Sure Master System has co-op, but NES has the fight mode...

Arcade Closeness - Master System, the game looks better nad is much more true to the Arcade

There are other categories, but I will start with those.....so in teh end, as much as I LOVED that NES Version growing up and played constantly with my friend and could NEVER beat the Machine Gun guy....I say the MASTER SYSTEM version is the better "game".

As for the 2600 version...I think its a pretty cool version of the game for the capabiliites of that system

Its the 7800 version that is flat out BAD.
    not very familliar with the 7800 version that's a system that for some reason seems to elude me