Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Default Nintendo 64 Calculator?...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-64-...p2056016.l4276

Okay, so some guy on eBay thinks he has something super ultra rare, and thinks it's worth $250! Yeah, that's right. If this, for whatever reason, was a real thing made by Nintendo for colleges or something (highly doubtful since it has really basic functions), then maybe it would be worth that. To me, it looks like a cheap Taiwanese calculator with a Nintendo 64 sticker on it. Does anybody know anything about this?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Like it was never made"

Without any insignia on the inside or on the calculator your theory is probably correct.

Plus why the hell would Nintendo make a calculator and just a simple one at that... they have some silly ideas sometimes, but this is a big stretch.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nintendo has made all sorts of goofy merchandise, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if they made a calculator with the N64 logo slapped on it. That said, the packaging does look a little questionable, although it does have the full copyright info on the box (and no misspellings like "Nimtendo"). This guy is bonkers if he thinks a lack of info online means big bucks, though. Game-related merchandise isn't remotely as well-documented as the games themselves. There is TONS of merchandise that you'll find basically no information about online. Even within my own collection, I have many, many items that I've never seen nor heard about online, which includes a bunch of Nintendo of America merchandise. The items sold in Nintendo Power's Super Power Supplies catalog in particular seem to have been largely forgotten by time (and for all I know, that's where that calculator may have come from).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

This is probably legitimate. There are many N64 branded items out there. Cameras, radios, and even PC controllers. Most of these are officially licensed by Nintendo, while things like the controller were somehow given the legal right to use the N64 logo.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

This kind of subject reminds me of this N64 radio /clock I have,..When I first got it I could find nothing on the net about it..

SUPER MARIO NINTENDO 64 SHOWER ALARM CLOCK N64 RADIO
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=291018683699
    NOT MY AUCTION..I USED MINE..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Nintendo has made all sorts of goofy merchandise, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if they made a calculator with the N64 logo slapped on it.
    There was a Mario 64 Nintendo 110 format film camera on eBay not too long ago. I wanted to buy it except for the problem of 110 film being obsolete.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

That little case it's in is sorta neat. The calculator itself is garbage. I wouldn't pay 250 cents for it, let alone 250 dollars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the borderline retarded description. Really puts me at ease when bidding on something that may or may not be legitimate and is very likely overpriced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    I love the borderline retarded description. Really puts me at ease when bidding on something that may or may not be legitimate and is very likely overpriced.
    "I've looked on the net and can't find nothing on it. Like it was never made."

Indeed.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    This kind of subject reminds me of this N64 radio /clock I have,..When I first got it I could find nothing on the net about it..

SUPER MARIO NINTENDO 64 SHOWER ALARM CLOCK N64 RADIO
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=291018683699
    NOT MY AUCTION..I USED MINE..
    I had the same clock radio a few years ago(used), I ended up selling it for $5 and it still took me awhile. I've seen plenty of N64 branded crap over the years and most of it is near worthless.

Right now I actually have an N64 fanny pack, I'm still trying to get $5 for it. I sold another one a few years ago for $5, now it seems a bit harder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    There was a Mario 64 Nintendo 110 format film camera on eBay not too long ago. I wanted to buy it except for the problem of 110 film being obsolete.
    You can still buy it new, just not at the corner store. http://shop.lomography.com/us/films/110-film
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    You can still buy it new, just not at the corner store. http://shop.lomography.com/us/films/110-film
    Wow B&W even!
    Thanks for that link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

He's an idiot. I've seen a couple different (not this one) N64 calculators before, they were more multi colored for a non-adult type group. I've held a few N64 film cameras as well at a goodwill before. Nintendo in the US did a lot of merchandising of that N logo onto a lot of unrelated weird junk in the 90s.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol. promo junk. companies put their name on all kinds of stupid junk for years. I've had mousepads, pens, pads, calculator, erasers, stress balls, beer cozies... you name it. That crap used to go all over the place at E3 (before it exploded to what it is today), CES, hell even gamestop used to get promo stuff like this. And thats just the free promo crap. Nintendo was huge into this stuff, actually Sony was too, in the 90s. I am pretty sure I have a sega branded magnifying glass (wtf?) somewhere.

As for cameras, alarm clocks, shower curtains etc, that was the good ol late 80s and early 90s when kids were still the target audience of games. Merchandising was critical in making money. It was like cartoons, you create toys and merchandise around it then market the show to kids and watch the money roll it.

Both trends have really seemed to die down in the last decade or so. I remember lots of promo Gamecube junk but that was the last of it. Same goes for retail merchandising. Guess the industry just grew up.

as for that calculator, Rare? Definitely. Valuable? Not by a long shot.
    Last edited by postulio; 11-20-2013 at 12:49 AM.