Thread: Does anyone have a Pandora handheld? How is it for playing SNES games?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does anyone have a Pandora handheld? How is it for playing SNES games?

Thinking of getting a 1ghz model. How's the screen size, image quality, sound? Any weird emulator glitches or sound desyncs? Do you think it's a worthwhile investment?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatse View Post
    Thinking of getting a 1ghz model. How's the screen size, image quality, sound? Any weird emulator glitches or sound desyncs? Do you think it's a worthwhile investment?
    I bought the original Pandora several years ago, I liked it initially as it had a variety of emulators [as well as linux pc capabilities] but I stopped using it as soon as the Xperia Play phone came out. <-- almost 3 years on, I still use the Xperia Play as my primary phone as it is much more convenient to carry around [the Pandora is like a Nintendo DS with about 50% more thickness] and a much better solution for emulation. I never noticed any weird emulator glitches on either [xplay or pandora] for SNES games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As cool of a device as it is, I cannot recommend it unless you're a coder who just wants to play around with it (and if you were, you'd have gotten it already).

If you want a cheap way to play retro on the go, either get an Xperia Play, like mentioned above or a PSP2000 (3000 may be good too, not sure about how homebrew works for it). It is super easy to put custom firmware on and theres tons of emulators for every console. Great battery life, great screen, personally I like the controls.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FTAiii View Post
    I bought the original Pandora several years ago, I liked it initially as it had a variety of emulators [as well as linux pc capabilities] but I stopped using it as soon as the Xperia Play phone came out. <-- almost 3 years on, I still use the Xperia Play as my primary phone as it is much more convenient to carry around [the Pandora is like a Nintendo DS with about 50% more thickness] and a much better solution for emulation. I never noticed any weird emulator glitches on either [xplay or pandora] for SNES games.
    So stuff like Starfox, Yoshis Island, Kirby 3, Mario RPG, there are no problems with any of those games on emulation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

I'm playing through Mario RPG on a modded PSP1000 and it works great. Star fox seemed fine , too.

Way cheaper option, and just as good for the average gamer , IMO. You can pick up a psp2000 for around $50-$75 on craigslist.

Not to mention psp has a good library, and the games are cheap right now.

World Class Internet User Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, if you want simply a very well performing handheld for SNES emulators, you should get a JXD system like the s602 for example.

They perform better than the PSP, especially since they have decent N64 emulators as well (since they run Android). PSP's SNES emulators don't run games like StarFox at full speed, whereas the JXD handhelds' SNES emulator can run Star Fox 2 at full speed.

Willgoo is a good place to look for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwario64 View Post
    Honestly, if you want simply a very well performing handheld for SNES emulators, you should get a JXD system like the s602 for example.

They perform better than the PSP, especially since they have decent N64 emulators as well (since they run Android). PSP's SNES emulators don't run games like StarFox at full speed, whereas the JXD handhelds' SNES emulator can run Star Fox 2 at full speed.

Willgoo is a good place to look for them.

Exactly, modded PSPs are so meh these days. I'd only recommend it so someone now if they already had one and wanted to spend zero dollars. However, if you're willing to spend a few bucks and want an overall better experience (imho)... there are so many choices out there now.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a Pandora the other day in mint condition for £101 , should be getting it in the post today.
    Pretty rare system , I bought it mainly because I collect but its supposed to be fantastic for emulation ,especially computers like the Amiga and C64 as it has a keyboard.