Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Super Retro Advance Adapter indepth Review

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i assume something like this will make it into another all in one thing so you'll end up with one console with like 8 cart slots.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

wiggy, you know I'm a big fan of your work so I don't want to be arguing with you. The reason I didn't mention the SNES RetroPort is because it's a controller adapter, not something native. I mean heck, I've got a PS2 to SNES controller adapter, so I could theoretically argue the PS2 makes for the best GBA controller for the Super Retro Adapter. It would be silly to say something like that.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the overview.

How did the Classic NES releases look on your 4:3 tv with their 3:2 aspect ratio with missing scanlines re-expanded to 4:3 proportions? They already look odd on the Game Boy Player at their converted 3:2 AR when played on my tv (Although not half bad on my backlit SP) so I imagine they look even more off rather than being helped by this thing's full screen 4:3 output.

I'm not buying this so don't feel bothered to do it just on my account, but V-Rally 3 and Stuntman's 3D engine would be a good test for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post

The first is the Super GameBoy Commander, a controller designed with the SNES B and A buttons in mind as the primary buttons. This creates a problem of playing some games that require the shoulder triggers as they are moved to the face, but I think it's a great solution.
    A & B are situated the same there as on a normal Super Nintendo controller so I don't see how this would solve his complaint?

For those that want the best button layout possible, a Super Game Boy for non enhanced Game Boy games switched to use Y & B via the SGB menu and a Game Boy Player paired with the GBA to GCN link cable to a model 1 GBA for your controller are the ideal setups in my opinion.

I also like the NES Retroport paired with the Game Boy Player for things like GBC games and other games that don't utilize the shoulder buttons and sometimes use that instead. The SNES Retroport, at least mine, still has me using A & B though instead of Y & B. So it's nice paired with my ASCII SuperNES Fighter Stick playing something like the Konami Arcade Collection cartridge since I don't own a NES arcade stick but it doesn't resolve button mapping issues on a gamepad with platformers and some other genres where simultaneous use of both buttons is important.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-24-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Thanks for the overview.

How did the Classic NES releases look on your 4:3 tv with their 3:2 aspect ratio with missing scanlines re-expanded to 4:3 proportions?
    Squished. I've never been too fond of how the majority of the the Classic NES series games look on the GBA. The only real acceptable game to me is Zelda 1, the rest are always weirdly compressed. PocketNES does a much better job with this.

[regarding the GameBoy Commander]
    The A & B are situated the same there as on a normal Super Nintendo controller so I don't see how this would solve his complaint?
    The SNES controller is rounded at the ends, whereas on the GB Commander there's a lip to rest your thumb on. It might seem small, but it really does make a difference. It won't appeal to everyone, but I find that since I bought one I couldn't imagine using my Super GameBoy without that controller.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Squished. I've never been too fond of how the majority of the the Classic NES series games look on the GBA. The only real acceptable game to me is Zelda 1, the rest are always weirdly compressed. PocketNES does a much better job with this.

The SNES controller is rounded at the ends, whereas on the GB Commander there's a lip to rest your thumb on. It might seem small, but it really does make a difference. It won't appeal to everyone, but I find that since I bought one I couldn't imagine using my Super GameBoy without that controller.
    It's more of the angle of the buttons on the SNES controller that is too steep, not the controller itself. The dogbone controller has nothing wrong with it, just that or an original Game Boy's button angles are the limit to what I would call comfortable. With an SNES pad you have to arc the base of your thumb upwards instead of sideways or downwards and isn't the best position to keep your wrist for an extended period of time. On Nintendo DS it doesn't even matter much just because those tiny buttons are so close together you don't really have to re-orient your whole hand. I guess if your thumbs are wider you might be able to hit the bottom of the A button with the base of your thumb while keeping your thumb completely horizontal, but there is still plenty of room to miss your mark, clipping the edge of the button not quite deep enough for the press to register.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Can anyone compare the video or sound quality to using these things?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^ I've heard mixed reviews :/

wiggy, you know I'm a big fan of your work so I don't want to be arguing with you. The reason I didn't mention the SNES RetroPort is because it's a controller adapter, not something native. I mean heck, I've got a PS2 to SNES controller adapter, so I could theoretically argue the PS2 makes for the best GBA controller for the Super Retro Adapter. It would be silly to say something like that.
    I'm not either, just saying that there are some options. I mean, the Super Retro Advance is an adapter itself, and if the controller is a big part of the issue with the GCN player, then it's good to know that there is at least one really cheap option to resolve the problem

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Does this differ any at all from the AD Adapter that was released a few months ago, or is it the same thing just rebranded?

I ask because I've seen those go for a few bucks less but they've been out a bit longer
    Last edited by Az; 11-25-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Inability to play GB and GBC games on this thing is a fail.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it's a glitchy GBA that plays at the wrong aspect ratio and requires an SNES for no real reason? Sweet, I'll take zero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    So it's a glitchy GBA that plays at the wrong aspect ratio and requires an SNES for no real reason? Sweet, I'll take zero.
    but that's

If you bothered to read, it is not glitchy. It plays 99% of all GBA games flawlessly, and those it doesn't have very minor issues. It does not display the wrong aspect ratio. It scales to fit to a 4:3 crt. 4:3 and 3:2 are virtually identical to begin with. If you use a 16:9 tv, the 3:2 aspect ratio is maintained. Also, so sorry it requires an SNES to run. Retro-Bit hasn't found a way to make it run on magic yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Does this differ any at all from the AD Adapter that was released a few months ago, or is it the same thing just rebranded?
    The AD Adapter is the Hong Kong branding. I can't be certain, but it likely is the same internally. Retro-Bit does not market their products in Asia themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

but that's

If you bothered to read, it is not glitchy. It plays 99% of all GBA games flawlessly, and those it doesn't have very minor issues. It does not display the wrong aspect ratio. It scales to fit to a 4:3 crt. 4:3 and 3:2 are virtually identical to begin with. If you use a 16:9 tv, the 3:2 aspect ratio is maintained. Also, so sorry it requires an SNES to run. Retro-Bit hasn't found a way to make it run on magic yet.
    It's already got its own A/V output. Might as well add SNES controller ports and a power input instead of wasting money/effort getting it to piggyback that stuff off an SNES. Plus it can't play GB/GBC games. I'll stick with an SP. I don't see a whole lot of point to this; it's not like a GC plus GB Player would be very expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    It's already got its own A/V output. Might as well add SNES controller ports and a power input instead of wasting money/effort getting it to piggyback that stuff off an SNES. Plus it can't play GB/GBC games. I'll stick with an SP. I don't see a whole lot of point to this; it's not like a GC plus GB Player would be very expensive.
    I agree that it is sort of weird that it isn't a standalone clone with its own controllers, but its done to save on costs. A standalone clone would be at least $20-30 more expensive than this to do what this already does. As I explained to Wiggy, Retro-Bit heavily promotes there RetroDuo brand which are NES/SNES combined systems. The RetroPort, RetroGen, and Super Retro Advance are essentially accessories for the RetroDuo line that also happen to work with the original hardware. I suspect that Retro-Bit may eventually add the Super Retro Advance into their multisystem hardware. This is version 1.0.

According to the Retro-Bit sales rep, GB/GBC support will be added in the future as bugs are kinked out. As is this does not have the hardware to render them, just like the GameBoy Micro and DS line.

I too, loooove my GBA SP. As for the GB Player arguement, see my post to wiggy on page 1. Other than GB/GBC support, this clone outclasses it in every aspect from video and audio output to control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

$20-$25 more just for their a single SNES clone controller, a single controller port, a AC adapter, and little else? We're not talking about high quality expensive electrical components here. This stuff is built very cheaply that they're utilizing and doesn't cost very much. It's why two included controllers for instance are nearly universal with these clone systems. If it added $10 to their production cost per controller, I guarantee you that it would be far less common.

I'm sure they'd have to charge a bit more than they're charging here since you're getting more, but I don't think their extra expenses would be of that level and there's also some savings as well since not everything in this adapter would be carried over if it were made a standalone Game Boy clone. I bet $10 over the price of this adapter would cover it and maintain their profit margin or very possibly even grow it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-26-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

$20-$25 more just for their a single SNES clone controller, a single controller port, a AC adapter, and little else? We're not talking about high quality expensive electrical components here. This stuff is built very cheaply that they're utilizing and doesn't cost very much. It's why two included controllers for instance are nearly universal with these clone systems. If it added $10 to the price, I guarantee you that it would be far less common.

I'm sure they'd have to charge a bit more than they're charging here since you're getting more, but I don't think their extra expenses would be of that level and there's also some savings as well since not everything in this adapter would be carried over if it were made a standalone Game Boy clone. I bet $10 over the price of this adapter would cover it and maintain their profit margin or very possibly even grow it.
    Personally I think it's intentional, I feel they're trying to get the people who just want to play GBA games on a TV to buy their NES/SNES systems as well. They're like car salesmen forcing you to buy a bundle just to get one of the options. They can get away with it because they can point to the original Super Gameboy needing the SNES console as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But then there are people like me who might be interested in this if it were stand alone, but aren't at all interested in yet another adapter. I think that they may have narrowed their market too much by trying to generate more sales of their clone consoles. My experience with GBA players (which has become significant as a result of my business) has taught me that many aren't really that into retro, but really just love the GBA, and I can only imagine that a stand alone would interest many of them a lot more than an adapter

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GBA TV Converter sucks, even if you hardwire it to a GBA the video quality isn't good because the image flickers as it constantly tries to adjust the pixels for accuracy, so the edges of the image wobble. I tried it.

The Retro Advance Adaptor looks interesting - where can I get one, I live in the UK ? Looked on ebay, didn't see any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by bacteria View Post
    GBA TV Converter sucks, even if you hardwire it to a GBA the video quality isn't good because the image flickers as it constantly tries to adjust the pixels for accuracy, so the edges of the image wobble. I tried it.

The Retro Advance Adaptor looks interesting - where can I get one, I live in the UK ? Looked on ebay, didn't see any.
    Keep in mind, it generates NTSC video output, but for someone of your modding skill that shouldn't be any real concern.

Here's what RetroBit provided.

http://www.lukiegames.com/Super-Retr...e_p_17907.html

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/super-retro-advance.html

http://www.dascheap.com/gba-adapter-...retro-bit.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the controller debate, I've always found it maddening that the X and Y buttons were essentially "dead" when playing GBA games on the DS. I was pretty disappointed to see that this was still the case here. Why not have them mirror A and B, but reversed? If X mirrored the A button, then all this consternation regarding controller layout would be allayed. You'd have A and B in their original position, as well as the SNES convention of Y/B, just moved over one row. It's a perfect compromise that nobody does; I just don't understand it.