Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Super Retro Advance Adapter indepth Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got mine a couple of days ago, only used it for a couple of minutes on my sony pvm 2950qm and i couldnt get a picture at all with or without the av composite cable. Tried it on my Commodore 1034 monitor but it would only output a black and white image.

Any idea why that would be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My advice would be to buy a model 1 Game Boy Advance, a GBC to GCN link cable, and utilize that as your controller.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-29-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theMot View Post
    Got mine a couple of days ago, only used it for a couple of minutes on my sony pvm 2950qm and i couldnt get a picture at all with or without the av composite cable. Tried it on my Commodore 1034 monitor but it would only output a black and white image.

Because it's a cheaply made product. Most likely it's just defective.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Are you are using a 50HZ PAL SNES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Because it's a cheaply made product. Most likely it's just defective.
    With all due respect, this is definitely wrong. His problem are the tvs he's using, not the device. Given what he's said, there is nothing wrong with the device.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Are you are using a 50HZ PAL SNES?
    That doesn't matter one way or the other. The SNES itself is not what is outputting the video, so any working SNES worldwide can do the task.

There is nothing at all wrong with your Super Retro Advance Adapter.

Your profile says you live in Sydney Australia. That's what the problem is.

Retro-Bit products are NTSC only and will not function correctly on PAL televisions. From the symptoms reported, your PAL Sony tv will not display NTSC resolutions at all, and your PAL Commodore monitor will only display black and white. These are very typical results of ~95% of 50Hz PAL sets that attempt to run 60Hz NTSC.

You need to get buy an NTSC tv, a brand new PAL tv that can also accept NTSC (they make them now) or an expensive NTSC to PAL adapter. Sorry about the bad news, but again...nothing is wrong with the product itself. It simply isn't made for your region.
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 12-25-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    With all due respect, this is definitely wrong. His problem are the tvs he's using, not the device. Given what he's said, there is nothing wrong with the device.

That doesn't matter one way or the other. The SNES itself is not what is outputting the video, so any working SNES worldwide can do the task.

Retro-Bit products are NTSC only and will not function correctly on PAL televisions. From the symptoms reported, your PAL Sony tv will not display NTSC resolutions at all, and your PAL Commodore monitor will only display black and white. These are very typical results of ~95% of 50Hz PAL sets that attempt to run 60Hz NTSC.

You need to get buy an NTSC tv, a brand new PAL tv that can also accept NTSC (they make them now) or an expensive NTSC to PAL adapter. Sorry about the bad news, but again...nothing is wrong with the product itself. It simply isn't made for your region.
    Thanks for the tips, the region doesnt matter because im using a monitor it just auto selects whatever region the device outputs. Regardless i switched it on again this morning and it worked perfect first time. Hurrah!

Shame it doesnt output rgb though. Ive been spoiled with the pvm having all my consoles hooked up rgb. Going back to composite is difficult especially with GBA games that were designed for a small screen. I wonder if there is a bright spark out there that can come up with a way to have it output rgb?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Deleted my Mother 3 save file.

Damnit, you guys. I was so completely stoked out of my mind for this thing - as Satoshi has mentioned in his review, the GBA was for all intents and purposes the second coming of the SNES, so this thing was kind of like a dream come true for me.

And then I put my Mother 3 repro cart into it, fired it up to some highly questionable video quality (granted, I am using a 42" Sony Bravia) and video interference, and then attempted to load my save of my second playthrough (my first playthrough on this excellent repro cart), which it gobbled up immediately. So, first strike: The SRA ate my save file from my all-time favorite GBA game. Luckily I was only 8 hours in on this playthrough and the game is too good not to start again, but yeah. Huge, Huge strike against this thing.

Second strike: I tried loading up ALTTP and all I get is a message that next time I play Four Swords, my sword will shoot beams....followed by a black screen.

I have never been *so* disappointed by a product in my life. Returning this post-haste. Honestly, I don't know why I even bother giving retro-bit the benefit of the doubt anymore.

*TLDR VERSION* don't buy this piece of crap if you value your saved games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Damnit, you guys. I was so completely stoked out of my mind for this thing - as Satoshi has mentioned in his review, the GBA was for all intents and purposes the second coming of the SNES, so this thing was kind of like a dream come true for me.

And then I put my Mother 3 repro cart into it, fired it up to some highly questionable video quality (granted, I am using a 42" Sony Bravia) and video interference, and then attempted to load my save of my second playthrough (my first playthrough on this excellent repro cart), which it gobbled up immediately. So, first strike: The SRA ate my save file from my all-time favorite GBA game. Luckily I was only 8 hours in on this playthrough and the game is too good not to start again, but yeah. Huge, Huge strike against this thing.

Second strike: I tried loading up ALTTP and all I get is a message that next time I play Four Swords, my sword will shoot beams....followed by a black screen.

I have never been *so* disappointed by a product in my life. Returning this post-haste. Honestly, I don't know why I even bother giving retro-bit the benefit of the doubt anymore.

*TLDR VERSION* don't buy this piece of crap if you value your saved games.

Nulsilver, I respect you man, but claiming this to be a piece of crap based on two incredibly isolated cases is incredibly shallow.

Let's address your first concern, your reproduction Mother 3 cart. What is that? I wasn't aware GBA games could be repro'd at all. Is that a flash cart with only the single ROM on it? What is the save method? I tested Mother 3's fan translation via my M3 Perfect flashcart on the SRA and the battery save worked perfectly. Maybe your just using a low quality flash cart that has a unreliable save method. That can hardly be blamed on the SRA itself. It sounds like its your flashcart that's the problem.

Explain the second point about LTTP? That works perfectly. Did you try to load the multiplayer thing? I didn't try that. The single player LTTP game works great.

In fact, I tested almost a hundred GBA games on this, and they all work, even obscure stuff like WarioWare Twisted with its gyroscope.

You need to explain your concerns about LTTP, but c'mon, its not fair at all to scream bloody murder because the device erased your save file off of a shady reproduction cart that I suspect is actually just a cheapo GBA flashcart worth hardly anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wasn't aware GBA games could be repro'd at all.
    Ebay is full of counterfeit GBA cartridges. So I don't see why not?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-27-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nulsilver, I respect you man, but claiming this to be a piece of crap based on two incredibly isolated cases is incredibly shallow.

Let's address your first concern, your reproduction Mother 3 cart. What is that? I wasn't aware GBA games could be repro'd at all. Is that a flash cart with only the single ROM on it? What is the save method? I tested Mother 3's fan translation via my M3 Perfect flashcart on the SRA and the battery save worked perfectly. Maybe your just using a low quality flash cart that has a unreliable save method. That can hardly be blamed on the SRA itself. It sounds like its your flashcart that's the problem.

Explain the second point about LTTP? That works perfectly. Did you try to load the multiplayer thing? I didn't try that. The single player LTTP game works great.

In fact, I tested almost a hundred GBA games on this, and they all work, even obscure stuff like WarioWare Twisted with its gyroscope.

You need to explain your concerns about LTTP, but c'mon, its not fair at all to scream bloody murder because the device erased your save file off of a shady reproduction cart that I suspect is actually just a cheapo GBA flashcart worth hardly anything.
    Hey hey, I'm back and a little bit calmed down - mostly just resigned to the fact that I have to start the game over again, but it's okay since I'm working on an in depth analysis of its themes, anyway. (I'd just started my second playthrough this week.) I'm still returning this device, but I can give you answers to your questions. Honestly, though, first impressions are everything, and if you were eager to play your favorite game on your new device only to have it erase your save, wouldn't that skew your impressions toward "negative"?. Also, check out how the SRA handles an official Japanese Mother 3 cart below, too... I'm honestly surprised you got it to run, though I've seen your video so I know you're not making that up Have you tried saving on the SRA and then loading from that save on an SRA?

1) The Mother 3 repro: It's actually a high quality repro sold at store.retroquestgames.com, and, as far as I know, the first of its kind as far as true GBA repros go. I've had zero issues with it on a GB Micro, DS Lite, GB SP, or GB Player. It uses a battery-backed save. It's much, much better than that POS that NintendoAge members were billing as a "limited edition," with no bulky board inside or anything like that. Definitely not a flash cart, and highly recommended if you're a fan of the game.

Here's an image of the cart (repro on the left, original Japanese copy on the right.) I believe the donor cart is Pokémon Emerald (AGB-E05-01). The label is, admittedly, a weak part of the package, but I've replaced it with one from OCD Reproductions since I took this photo months ago. Also attaching a pic of my Mother (mostly Mother 3) collection - this game is very, very dear to me, and my Mother 3 repro is a prized piece of my collection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSjHZ-rCQAAYZdm.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	7263
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BTU6NbSIcAAJhXA.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	7264

As far as the game and the SRA - it's really pretty odd. The first thing that happened was, the game told me my save file was corrupt and it was deleting it. Okay, well, not much I can do at that point, so I restarted it and the game played without problems (other than the video issues... it looks pretty bad on my TV, but much better on my RDP 2). Then I saved, restarted, and when I tried to load that save, the graphics got all garbled and it wouldn't go further. Accessing the save on real GBA hardware works fine.

*I've tested a legit Mother 3 cart (Japanese) in the SRA, too, and while it works half the time, the other half it it won't load past the start screen - it acts like I'm holding up or down on the d-pad and constantly flicks back and forth among New Game, Load and Sound Player, accepting no button inputs. No other game does this!

2) Here's what I've discovered with ALTTP. When you first get the Master Sword, save, and restart, the game tells you you get an upgraded sword in multiplayer. You hit A and continue on to the game. In the SRA, it refuses to advance past that notice about the sword upgrade. I put the cart into my Micro and skipped the message, then loaded it into the SRA and it loaded normally. I wonder if that's an issue that can be fixed with a future firmware update?

And here are a couple of bonus observations to keep this topic on track:

*Games look a lot better outputted directly from the Adapter itself rather than the included RCA cable - I tested quite a few via my RDP2.0 and everything looked pretty nice on that screen. Everything seemed to work okay, though occasionally I'd see wavy lines that a reset would fix.

*The EZ-Flash IV does not work with the SRA, or at least, I couldn't get it to load more than once (where it told me my SD card was missing, which it's not), so I can't test Mother 3 or any other ROM that way, sadly.

*Other games I tested (legit carts): Minish Cap, Advance Wars 1+2, Drill Dozer, Super Mario World, Golden Sun 1+2, Final Fantasy I+II+IV+V+VI, Yoshi's Island, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Super Mario Advance, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Wario Land 4, and Rebelstar Tactical Command. They all ran, but often had to be fiddled with to get them to load. Whenever that's the case with a device, I'm pretty hesitant to put my games with battery-backed saves into them... rapid resetting and all. I'm not testing my Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario Advance...4?...cart because I have eReader levels on it and don't want to have to flash them to it again if something happens.

I guess, overall, what I'd say is: if you have an SDTV, or an HDTV that works well with Retro-bit's products - mine does not, which is one of the reasons I sold my RetroGen adapter - this could be a good alternative to a GB Player. The idea of playing GBA games on an SNES, while kind of nonsensical to some, is incredibly appealing to me - leastways because my SNES is ALWAYS hooked up because it's my favorite console of all time, and I love the controller. The GB Player video output, while soft and bordered, has much better color output, and the sound here is weak and tinny compared to the GB player as well (my SRA outputs about half as loud as my GB Player, with a ton of background noise as well.)

Anyway - those are my thoughts, stream-of-consciousness as they are. Glad to contribute to the thread, SM... keep up the awesome work!
    Last edited by nusilver; 12-27-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just ordered the Japanese version of this adapter from eBay today after reading one of the reviews and learning about some of the modifications that make it better on assemblergames. The links are below for anybody that is interested.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...NES-AD-Adapter
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...arate-AV-cable
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...e-short-review
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...one-tried-them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What makes you think that?

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are the colours correct with this gadget, any image shift like with the crappy GBA Converter; any image bleed?

If the colours are right, no bleeding, and crisp image, then this sounds like a good product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Also, check out how the SRA handles an official Japanese Mother 3 cart below, too... I'm honestly surprised you got it to run, though I've seen your video so I know you're not making that up Have you tried saving on the SRA and then loading from that save on an SRA?
    Yeah, saving Mother 3 works perfectly on my M3 Perfect when using the SRA. I'm sorry to hear that your repro cart has issues with it, but who only knows what the cause of that is. I've tested literally dozens of GBA games with saves, and that hasn't happened on a single one. That's what leads me to think its the repro cart and not the SRA itself. Only an educated theory though.

As for your real Mother 3 cart sometimes acting up, that's a headscratcher. Maybe a dirty cart?

2) Here's what I've discovered with ALTTP. When you first get the Master Sword, save, and restart, the game tells you you get an upgraded sword in multiplayer. You hit A and continue on to the game. In the SRA, it refuses to advance past that notice about the sword upgrade. I put the cart into my Micro and skipped the message, then loaded it into the SRA and it loaded normally. I wonder if that's an issue that can be fixed with a future firmware update?
    I just tried doing that section myself, and did not encounter this issue. I wonder if its a bug present in the game revision? IIRC, LTTP GBA had a couple slight revisions. My copy is the Greatest Hits version, if that makes any difference.

Anyway, I'm sorry you had a few bad experiences, but overall I'm extremely pleased with the Super Retro Advance. I haven't encountered any problems other than the Play-Yan Micro.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby105 View Post
    I just ordered the Japanese version of this adapter from eBay today
    Just so you know, the Japanese, Hong Kong or US versions are all the same internally, just different branding. Thanks for the S-Video mod link though... I might end up doing that. I love the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    [In regards to the Australian bloke with the tv issues]What makes you think that?
    His problem is clearly that he's using PAL tvs. I think this because of the problems he reported. No video or black and white only display are common occurrences when you try to run 60Hz NTSC content on a PAL 50Hz television. Plus, given that his status says he's from Sydney Australia and Australia is a PAL country, I put two and two together and concluded that he's probably suffering from the ills of PAL tvs trying to run NTSC content.

Quote Originally Posted by bacteria View Post
    Are the colours correct with this gadget, any image shift like with the crappy GBA Converter; any image bleed?

If the colours are right, no bleeding, and crisp image, then this sounds like a good product.
    Yes, the colors are perfect and accurate to the real hardware. The video output to a tele is only composite video, so yes, there is some color bleeding, but its much better than any real classic game hardware, especially Sega stuff like the MegaDrive. The image is very crisp and clean. Just go back to page 1 and click on the screenshots I took of my tv playing various GBA games.

It IS a good product. That's kinda what I've been saying all along.

If you have a pile of GBA games and want to play them on a tv with a SNES controller, it's worth buying for sure.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just ordered one of these the other day and I'm really excited. The SNES is probably my favorite console and I missed out on a lot of the good GBA games. I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

EZ Flash doesn't work on it? Another strike.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

My flashcart - the M3 Perfect SD - works perfectly. I don't know what the "EZ Flash" is. Is that a low-end flashcart? perhaps it doesn't work because the 5v VCC pin isn't sufficient to power the device and that flashcart, especially if it uses an additional source like a micro SD card.

So yeah, strike against the EZ Flash, but negated since the M3 Perfect functions...perfectly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My flashcart - the M3 Perfect SD - works perfectly. I don't know what the "EZ Flash" is. Is that a low-end flashcart? perhaps it doesn't work because the 5v VCC pin isn't sufficient to power the device and that flashcart, especially if it uses an additional source like a micro SD card.

So yeah, strike against the EZ Flash, but negated since the M3 Perfect functions...perfectly.

EZ Flash is pretty well respected, to my knowledge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I think I remember that one when I was shopping for a GBA Flashcart a few years ago. I recall they needed to be hooked up to a computer through a USB cable, had some funky firmware and severe limitations. Also they were much much cheaper than the M3 flashcarts. The one I bought outclassed the E-Z offerings in every way. Maybe they progressed over the years, but rather than jumping to conclusions, my assessment is based on what I know when I compared flashcarts and decided which to buy. Also, isn't that a whole range of flashcarts rather than just one? The real jumping to conclusions would be to assume that because whatever cart was tried doesn't work, none of them do.

It seems people want to declare the SRA crap because of highly specialized cases - Mother 3 repro cart, E-Z flashcart, GBC/GB games - stuff that's outside of the GBA library.

I've tested over a hundred GBA games and found none to be problematic. Even weird games like Boktai with its solar sensor or WarioWare Twisted with its gyroscope function properly.

Is it absolutely flawless? no. but like everything, you take the bad with the good and overall it is debatably better than the GameBoy Player, or at the very least equal when all things are considered, such as its superior video and and audio clarity.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The M3 perfect hasn't been available for years so most people have an EZ flash. Without gb/gbc. support, about the only non-novelty use is if you don't have a GameCube gameboy player.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK