Thread: Burgertime..A classic. What is your first memory of playing this classic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default Burgertime..A classic. What is your first memory of playing this classic?

My first memory is a 5 year old at Toys R Us getting a Intellivision 2 with Burgertime and Sewer Sam for my birthday. I recall hooking up the system and playing this great classic, and being hooked ever since. How about you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Truth be told, I only recall playing it once. Some time in the late 90s while my family was up in the Adirondack mountains vacationing. For some reason a butcher shop had a Burger Time machine in the entrance way.

It sure was Burgertime.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was little, my older brother was dominant over the NES on the real TVs, so I was often relegated to playing Atari 2600 on an old black and white set. Burgertime was one of the games that I'd play. I had no clue what was going on, and to this day, I've never had a positive experience with it. Mostly because I've never tried.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think I watched the arcade machine on Attract mode for a while. I remember thinking it was cool that peppered enemies knocked onto the hambugers actually stayed there – which is something I'm probably misremembering utterly.

When it came to actually playing, it must have been the somewhat primitive C64 version.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

My brother had one of these:
    http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Mattel...Burgertime.jpg

When he tired of it, I got a shot with it and played for hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I never had an interest in it at first. My brother by this time had his own NES and bought it and played the hell out of it for awhile. I never really bothered until later when he turned coat and got a Genesis not waiting for the SNES we knew was coming (NP mag) and when he got that, the NES was put up, and I bitched and moaned for awhile and eventually I got him to cave and bought his small set of like 10-12 games and his system off him since it was left to rot. I've put a good many hours, but not a heap (not like 50-100+) either and I found it pretty enjoyable eventually but it up front had to compete with Tetris, Dr Mario, Silver Surfer, Battletoads, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Rampage and a few others. I think what got me was it was just screwball really having to walk over giant hamburger bits that it captured me doing that while avoiding rank monster food and having to put it down by salting and squishing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember Burgertime in arcades first, and wanted to like it. The trouble was that the difficulty always seemed to ramp up quickly, making it mostly unenjoyable for me. I have VCS, INTV, Colecovision, and NES home ports of the game, but still have difficulty getting past the 2nd or 3rd boards. Maybe Beef Drop for 5200 doesn't get crazy difficult so fast?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Surprisingly I don't have any distinct memories of Burger Time in the arcade - I know I played it but I think the difficultly made it a waste of a quarter, so it wasn't my first pick of games.
    Intellivision and the handheld LCD games are the ones I remember playing for untold hours.

I was really excited to revisit Burger Time when it was ported as one of the Oretachi Geasen series games for JPN PS2. I was disappointed to rediscover how slow the game character actually moves in the arcade original. The PS2 version does allow a number of screen resolutions, as well as vertical monitor orientation so you can truly get the arcade feel at home.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Since I wasn't born until 1989, I never had a chance to play it in the arcades. My first exposure to it was from the Arcade's Greatest Hits series on Playstation. I have since gotten it for MAME as well. I always found it fun, but I was never very good at it. Can't really get past Level 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Around 1988, I played Burger Time at a childhood sweetheart's house on her NES. We also played Bubble Bobble, Jaws, and Tetris. Her little sister caught us kissing and threatened to tell her mom. We laughed. Good times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Early 80's during the summer when i was a kid my family would go all ways to,chincoteague va for a vacation.If i remember right at the time it was a (miniature golf course) that had a arcade.That's when i played burger time for the first time,it's bright colors and quirky gameplay caught my attention and it became one of my favorites.I even use to have a burger time lcd handheld to,but i sold it years ago.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I first played this one at an arcade right near a food court. So the game actually worked as a compliment to the fast food (pretty sure I was craving a burger after doing miserably at the game).

Yes, it's a tough game. I didn't really play it for years after because it was too tough.

Then I started to do the 'walk across a bun and wait for the baddies to step onto it' thing -- in order to drop the ingredients into place faster. That and trying to hover near where the pepper-bonus items appear. Essentially, I started to use similar strategies to what I use when playing Mr. Do's Castle. That seemed to help my gameplay a lot.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I honestly never played it as a kid. I saw some Retroware TV thing hosted by Darek Alexander discussing some remake, and that got me interested, so I bought the NES cart at a game store and played for hours.

I like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Great to hear so many different memories. Keep them coming.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

First played it at the house of a friend of my mothers when I was seven. I had seen the game before but never actually played it. The entire family was sick of the game, never got really far in it. After an hour or two playing, I was surprised to find myself with an audience. "Look, he got to stage four!"

Not one of my favorite games, but still fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Just coincidentally found the Unofficial Burgertime Homepage

I'd forgotten about Super Burgertime. We did have that in one of our local arcade growing up, but haven't seen or heard of it since!

edit: after looking at images of Super Burger Time, and listening to some of the OST, I'm not so sure. Thought I remembered playing a simultaneous two-player Burgertime...
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 12-05-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    matt_average

Wow, I didn't know about Super Burgertime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The arcade version, at a Chucky Cheeses', early to mid 1980s.