Thread: Skylander? Do your kids enjoy this game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Skylander? Do your kids enjoy this game?

Christmas is fast approaching and I'm thinking about purchasing theSkylander game/toy for my six year old son. Gamestop clerk said it was great, but I'm fairly certain he has a vested interest in pushing sales to keep his job. So here's what I wanna know: Is it easy to play? Fun? Requires little to no hand-holding by daddy? Thanks in advance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

My 5 year old nephew loves Skylanders. My girls 12 and 14 not interested. The game is pretty fun , but a bit of a money pit - buying figures....

overall I say its good for his age.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Well, we have the original Skylanders. Not the Giants nor the swapforce. And it's OK but it gets boring really fast. We never got the Giants because I knew Disney Infinity might be better and man is it ever. The figurines mean more to us since they are the beloved characters from the movies and the toybox mode is kinds like minecraft where you build worlds. Very customizable and that leads to much more replayability than the original skylanders where it is the main story only with a few side missions. The new Swapforce might be better though, I just haven't seen anything about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Research it to know what you might be getting into finacially. Many figurines need to be purchased to unlock all the features of the game.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Both of my kids(8 and 10) love it to death. They have all three of them and tons of the figures that go with the games. That is about all I hear from my oldest is Skylanders, Skylanders, Skylanders. Drives my nuts on some days. To answer your question, should be a good safe buy. Be ready to spend on the figures though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

My kids (7 and 9 now) have the original and Giants. They love it. We bought both at release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I don't know a single thing about Skylanders.
    But today I had my 5 y/o nephew playing Mighty Final Fight, and at some point he started saying "Skylanders!" when he was faced with a challenging enemy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up a used copy with a few figures from DP Store. I found out that is is the Gen2 setup. Swapforce is Gen 3, so they are not compatible. My 10 year old son played it for maybe a month and that was it. Now he wants Disney's Infinity, which looks like the same thing, the stuff is not for us, I'll invest in a tablet so he leaves mine alone.
    I'm just trying to keep from losing my mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 7 year old grandson has the first 2 and is getting the 3rd for Christmas. He actually started getting the figures before he got the games and he probably spends more time just playing with the figures than he does with the game. Don't know if it matters to the discussion, but he has the 3DS version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Christmas is fast approaching and I'm thinking about purchasing theSkylander game/toy for my six year old son. Gamestop clerk said it was great, but I'm fairly certain he has a vested interest in pushing sales to keep his job. So here's what I wanna know: Is it easy to play? Fun? Requires little to no hand-holding by daddy? Thanks in advance?
    So you pretty much have a wide range of answers from the people here; it's a great game for kids and adults as well. It's easy to play, and it is a fun 2 player game. It's like gauntlet legends but with a twist: it can get expensive. For the financial side of things, this is what you're looking at:

1. You can fully complete the games with just the starter packs. You won't be able to unlock every single area and the game itself is harder (since you won't have as many skylanders to swap out), but you can play through the entire game. The more figures you have, the more you can unlock and the more lives you have per level.
    2. Each figure individually is around $15. The triple packs (best deals) range from $19.99 on sale to $24.99 on regular days. The starter packs are around $75.
    3. Each figure from each game is compatible with the next game in the series, but you can't go backwards - 2nd series figures can't be played with the first game, and 3rd series figures can't be played with the 2nd game or 1st game. First series figures can be played with the 2nd and 3rd game.
    4. The number of figures rises with each game. It's like pokemon. The subsequent games re-release the previous games figures in new poses and they get new powers. This is a cool idea, but as you can imagine, if you like to collect the full set (like I did), then you're looking at a substantial amount of $$.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

For you no for your kid yes.

I have a 6 year old girl who loves it. Most of the children in her class also love it. She likes this series better than Infinity.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    So you pretty much have a wide range of answers from the people here; it's a great game for kids and adults as well. It's easy to play, and it is a fun 2 player game. It's like gauntlet legends but with a twist: it can get expensive. For the financial side of things, this is what you're looking at:

1. You can fully complete the games with just the starter packs. You won't be able to unlock every single area and the game itself is harder (since you won't have as many skylanders to swap out), but you can play through the entire game. The more figures you have, the more you can unlock and the more lives you have per level.
    2. Each figure individually is around $15. The triple packs (best deals) range from $19.99 on sale to $24.99 on regular days. The starter packs are around $75.
    3. Each figure from each game is compatible with the next game in the series, but you can't go backwards - 2nd series figures can't be played with the first game, and 3rd series figures can't be played with the 2nd game or 1st game. First series figures can be played with the 2nd and 3rd game.
    4. The number of figures rises with each game. It's like pokemon. The subsequent games re-release the previous games figures in new poses and they get new powers. This is a cool idea, but as you can imagine, if you like to collect the full set (like I did), then you're looking at a substantial amount of $$.

Hope that helps.
    Haha, reminds me of Pokémon except you're collecting the figures in real life instead of in the game. It's like what if you could get Pokémon by having the corresponding Pokémon card and could scan it in. Ah the things Game Boy Advance e-Reader could have done if it had been fully put to use...
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]