View Poll Results: Move this forum to the Specialty Forums section of the board?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think it would help.

5 50.00%
  • No, it's fine.

5 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should We Move "Computer Gaming" to the Specialty Forums Section?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, and the PCs tend to run Windows and have mice and keyboards.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm really not sure why we really need a computer gaming forum at all.
    Need a place to talk about classic computer games? We've got a classic gaming board.
    Need a place to talk about modern computer games? We've got a modern gaming board.
    Over specialization is what kills small forums like this.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

This subforum got started because any topic on computer games in the other forums quickly got burried as most people here are console folks and would only reply to console related threads. Of course, instead of getting an easy to see section for all computer games we got this small classic only computer game section shoved into the back corner existing almost entirely out of sight.

This wasn't meant just for PC games, it was for all computer games for all computer platforms which would be pretty large, if people actually wanted to talk about those.

As for dividing classic and modern games, it's not needed at the moment. Plus it would make it easier to discuss new releases, sequels, or remakes to classic games which would technically be modern games, yet be mostly interested in by the classic crowd. If there's talk of a possible sequel to a franchise where the last game came out almost 20 years ago, who would really be interested in this news? The arcade section isn't divided like that for modern or classic games, so it's not really needed for PC games either. Not unless it gets busy with lots of posts. The only way to really know is to move the forum and see if posts pick up.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Well it looks like it finally happened. The other reason I am glad computer gaming still has it's own section is because computers often need discussion about how to run things and more frequent help topics because they're not all simply just plug and play. You have cross compatibility across multiple ages of games and such. You have Windows/Mac hybrid games. And then you have questions about how command line required for running games differs from one system to another. For example how to get a game disk started on a Commodore 64 or how to get it started in DOS.

When I was a kid I had a "large floppy" version of a DOS computer I never got to use because my family and I didn't know the command to boot the games or other programs from floppy. I needed a word processor for school and I wasn't even sure which disk if any that I had in the box had one of those. Nowadays I would have just gone on the internet, asked a question and gotten an answer and enjoy myself with those retro 80s games.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm glad it's been moved, now I'll start adding more topics. I do agree with your point on their being more technical posts towards computer games which is another reason why this separate section should stick around, or for other topics on hardware options in general. Stuff usually too geeky for the main console sections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really happy that this change was made. There's actually people in the forum now when I visit the site.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Happy to oblige.