Thread: PS2 Repair Help

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Repair Help

Hey guys,

Not too long ago I bought a PS2 debugging test kit, model DTL-H30001 to be exact, that has a 120v rating. Me being me (and me being retarded) I just plugged it straight into the wall as soon as I got it, and since I lived in Australia with 240v, it got screwed up pretty fast. A short while afterwards I was forced to move to Japan, so after a long and arduous journey of carefully packing my consoles and games, and then carefully unpacking everything again, I am finally here with this thing staring me in the face once again, reminding me of how stupid I really am.

I haven't really ever attempted to repair a console that has received this amount of damage, aside from my Super Famicom which only needed a 1.5v fuse to be replaced, which was surprisingly simple. I was hoping that someone here could help me to figure out what exactly needs to be done to get this PS2 debug console up and running again, because it set me back quite a bit at the time and I would at least like to use it for playing backups. Before somebody makes a post about the difficulties of running retail games on this particular unit, don't worry, I know exactly what I need to do with the master disc patcher and what not, so I just need help on fixing the actual console.

I really hope that someone here can help me fix this thing, it's been mocking me long enough and I think it's about time that I do something about it. I really would like to post this over on Assemblergames.com as well seeing, as they have more experience with dev hardware, but as I believe I have stated here before (some time ago), I never receive a confirmation email when registering for the site, so I am not able to post in Assembler's forums.

-Snowman

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You could open it up and replace the power supply board, it should be compatible with a power supply from another fat PS2 console.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But where exactly could I obtain the required parts? If there's anything too complicated involved, I have a feeling I won't fair too well. Also, is there a way to open the console and still keep warranty sticker intact? As a collector, I like to preserve things as best I can.

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

The warranty stickers on the PS2 are incredible hard to remove. The only way to cleanly remove one would be to peel it off before you open the console, and even that would leave sticky residue on the console itself. Best way is to make one extremely straight, clean slit in the sticker.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Some people get warranty stickers off clean using hairdriers to heat them up, but I've never bothered trying.