Thread: how do you hook 32x to genesis model 1 with av cable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default how do you hook 32x to genesis model 1 with av cable?

I'm running model 1 genesis with model 2 Sega cd. Trying to hook up a 32x via av, not rf. I'm reading the manual but its not helping. I have the connector cable hooked to the conversion cable. conversion cable is in the av input on the genny. and the connector is in the "av in" input on the 32x. The manual seems to leave out the important step of hooking the av to the tv. I am assuming the av goes in the 32x output, and into the tv. But my model 1 genesis av is too large to fit in the back of the 32x.

also while on the subject. my mixing cable is plugged in my model 1 headphone jack, and in the back of the Sega cd unit. I get sound effects only on cd games unless I take out the mixing cable. do I need to hook stereo cables in the back of the Sega cd unit?

finally, can I have the 32x, model 1 Sega, and model 2 cd all hooked up with av and mixing cable? I feel like maybe I need a different av cable to hook in the 32x out to the tv since the model 1 genny av is too large.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    I'm running model 1 genesis with model 2 Sega cd. Trying to hook up a 32x via av, not rf. I'm reading the manual but its not helping. I have the connector cable hooked to the conversion cable. conversion cable is in the av input on the genny. and the connector is in the "av in" input on the 32x. The manual seems to leave out the important step of hooking the av to the tv. I am assuming the av goes in the 32x output, and into the tv. But my model 1 genesis av is too large to fit in the back of the 32x.

also while on the subject. my mixing cable is plugged in my model 1 headphone jack, and in the back of the Sega cd unit. I get sound effects only on cd games unless I take out the mixing cable. do I need to hook stereo cables in the back of the Sega cd unit?

finally, can I have the 32x, model 1 Sega, and model 2 cd all hooked up with av and mixing cable? I feel like maybe I need a different av cable to hook in the 32x out to the tv since the model 1 genny av is too large.
    Yeah you need a Genesis 2 AV cable or RF switch to go from the 32X to your TV. The ones that came with Genesis 1 won't fit or work with the 32X because the 32X doesn't have ports for the larger cable. Sounds like you've got the 32X hooked up correctly to the Genesis though.

I'm not sure as much about the audio issues. I've never actually used the mixing cable. I've always taken the audio either straight from the Genesis headphone jack, or through the Av cable. I can't remember if the headphone jack provides the Sega CD and 32X audio directly but I am assuming it does.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 12-20-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Gametrog

My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Right you need a 3rd party cable for the 32X itself to output stereo on model 1. Regardless of Sega CD or not. Sega didn't release any 32X mixing cable.
    Genesis 2 fixed that. It brings stereo all the way from Sega CD, right to 32X.

The way video works is much simpler. 32X just takes in RGB (why it doesn't work on Wondermega) then uses its own AV encoding if desired.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Found a awesome tutorial on YouTube. The av cable I needed was wrapped in bubble wrap and I didn't see it. For some reason theguy didn't put it in the 32x box. Got it all up and running. The audio is so much better with the mixing cable. I can't believe I've owned a Sega cd and mixing cable since the90's and never used it. Huge improvement.