Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wii U pro controller. Any cheaper options? Perhaps a Wii controller?

Insert Coin (Level 0) brainerdrainer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii U pro controller. Any cheaper options? Perhaps a Wii controller?

I just got a Wii U and I love it! I need an extra controller for my wife so we can play the new Mario 3D world together. The Wii U pro controller is pretty pricey. I've seen some off brand controllers that look very similar but I don't want a piece of crap controller. Has any one tried any other controllers? I also read that you can use a pro controller from a Wii for the Wii U?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Besides the standard Wii U gamepad and the Pro Controller, you can use a sideways Wiimote (Standard or Motion Plus), a Wiimote & nunchuk combination, or a Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro for Super Mario 3D World. The upcoming Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart releases do likewise in supporting all logical Wii & Wii U controller options.

Supported controller options are always shown on the back of Wii & Wii U game cases.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-27-2013 at 05:20 PM.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Supported controller options are always shown on the back of Wii & Wii U game cases.
    Sometimes the options on the back are incomplete, though. For instance, New Super Mario Bros U only shows the gamepad and wii remote, but they put out an update that made it support the wii u pro controller as well.

That's the only example I can think of (because I just encountered it this week) but I know I've previously run into Wii games that supported more control methods than the back of the box indicated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Always buy first party controller, even if it's more expensive, at least they will last a long time (I only had a ps2 original die on me on over 30 consoles). Cheaper ones always have crappy buttons and d pad, lag when wireless, and break easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just use your Wii remotes from your Wii. I got a Wii U a few weeks ago for the same exact reason... to play multiplayer New Mario Wii U and Mario 3D World with the wife. Worked perfect for us... though some toad levels in Mario 3D World will force you to use the gamepad.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either use a wii-mote or a wiiu pro controller. Do not buy some knock off. A lot of the knock offs make it seem that they are compatible with the pro controller, when in reality they emulate the wii classic controller. So, technically it works with the wiiu, but not with wiiu pro controller games.

The pro controller is great. It's just a good as a ps3/360 controller, but has an 80 (!) hour battery life. I've been using it extensively with wind waker HD. To hell with the wiiu gamepad, at least until my 8 hour battery comes in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you use the Wii Pro Controller hooked up to the Wii-mote? Or must you use a Wii U Pro Controller?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

White Wii u pro controllers have been going to clearance a lot lately. I saw a few today. Thought about buying them but I didn't know how much I had left in ny bank account. The chapter I saw was 45 plus another 20% still not super cheap but quite a bit off normal price.

I guess they are going off the set because the 8gb isn't being sold any more and it was white. Although there was a recent bundle that was white too so I donno

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Can you use the Wii Pro Controller hooked up to the Wii-mote? Or must you use a Wii U Pro Controller?
    I'm not sure if I understand the question. The Wiiu pro controller doesn't hook up to anything like the old Wii classic controller. It's a free standing controller just like a PS3 or 360 controller.

One thing I hated about the Wii classic controller was that you were always physically attached to a wiimote. Happily this is no longer the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I'm not sure if I understand the question. The Wiiu pro controller doesn't hook up to anything like the old Wii classic controller. It's a free standing controller just like a PS3 or 360 controller.

One thing I hated about the Wii classic controller was that you were always physically attached to a wiimote. Happily this is no longer the case.
    Wii U is comparable with the Wiimote. The Wiimote had the Wii Classic Controller and Pro Controller dongles that hook in.

The Wii U has the wireless Pro Controller.

Does the Wii Classic/Pro Controller work with Wii U games, or only the Wii compatibility mode?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

wii classic controller pro works fine with all the wii u games I have, in fact i prefer the classic than the new pro for COD, but it lacks the 2 clicking thumbsticks buttons (L3 R3) but having it plugged in a wiimote is so f* stupid, ahhh nintendo and their stupid decisions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Sometimes the options on the back are incomplete, though. For instance, New Super Mario Bros U only shows the gamepad and wii remote, but they put out an update that made it support the wii u pro controller as well.

That's the only example I can think of (because I just encountered it this week) but I know I've previously run into Wii games that supported more control methods than the back of the box indicated.
    Like you said though, that was patched in so that information was correct originally.

You can't ever count on details on the back of the case being correct (As I found in multiple instances two generations ago with releases that supported progressive scan without a notation, were Xbox Live enabled without the notation, etc). But generally on the Wii & Wii U, it's a handy guide to controller compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    The Wii controller you're talking about is the Wii Classic Controller Pro (Which is functionally identical to the original Wii Classic Controller). It has to be tethered to the Wii remote on a Wii U just like always. Wii U games can support it and several do including Super Mario 3D World.

Here's a handly ist of Wii U software that supports the Wii U Pro Controller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Pro_Controller

And approximately 50% of those also feature Wii Classic Controller support as denoted by the Classic Controller column.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-02-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'd be nice to know why developers would support the wiiu pro controller but not the wii classic controller. There seems to be very little difference between the two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    It'd be nice to know why developers would support the wiiu pro controller but not the wii classic controller. There seems to be very little difference between the two.
    Yeah, it reminds me of how occasionally some Wii games would support the CC or a GC controller, but not both.

Though regarding the CC and the WUPC, there is one thing the WUPC has that the CC doesn't, a button on the thumbsticks when you push down on them (aka R3 and L3). If a game for some reason needs those, then I could see why they wouldn't support CC.

There is another difference in that L and R are analog on CC and digital on WUPC, but that's not a reason not to support CC.

Oh... does the WUPC support "shake" (like when you shake a remote to spin jump in NSMB)? I know the gamepad does, but can't remember about the WUPC. If so, that might be another reason not to support CC if a game relies on that.
    Last edited by BlastProcessing402; 01-03-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Ok so since we are on this topic,.what's the difference between the classic controller and the classic controller pro?

Mind you wii classic controller pro is not the pro controller for the Wii u, before any one says any thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The classic controller pro has hand grips that extend downwards. The original classic controller does not. Its edges are just round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

That's it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    That's it?
    Yep.

The CC came out first, and was basically intended to invoke the design of the SNES pad, albeit with control sticks and the shoulder buttons being analog. Some people were just too used to handles on modern pads to deal with a semi-oldschool pad like that, so they put out the CCP, with handles. Launched with some Monster Hunter game, I think.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Yep.

The CC came out first, and was basically intended to invoke the design of the SNES pad, albeit with control sticks and the shoulder buttons being analog. Some people were just too used to handles on modern pads to deal with a semi-oldschool pad like that, so they put out the CCP, with handles. Launched with some Monster Hunter game, I think.
    And there was that weird clip thing on the back that they never ended up using.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Clip thing on the back of which one?