Thread: Do you think opting for 3D instead of HD for the 3DS,was ultimately a mistake?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you think opting for 3D instead of HD for the 3DS,was ultimately a mistake?

I do.HD would've made games look clean and without all that blurriness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sales indicate 3DS made the right choice. I don't even notice 'blurriness' when playing 3DS for extended periods, the 3D effect more the makes up for its lower res.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Sales indicate 3DS made the right choice. I don't even notice 'blurriness' when playing 3DS for extended periods, the 3D effect more the makes up for its lower res.
    .....oh,so because it sells that sutomatically means that it looks good?
    Lol.i think you have a vision problem,mate.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Sales indicate it's a Nintendo handheld.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEliteGamer View Post
    No. But it does mean that the majority of consumers don't care about HD quality in their handhelds. There for, in answering the topic title question. No. It was not a mistake. It may in fact have been brilliant, since Nintendo can keep their production costs down and make money hand over fist.

No, my eyes are fine. SINCE I HAVE NO TROUBLE SEEING THE 3DS GRAPHICS.

You must have seriously bad eyes if a little bit of aliasing bothers you. How did you survive in the pre-HD era?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No but you do have an attitude problem buddy if someone doesn't agree with you. The games look very good, they play fine, and the system gives a lot of options you can choose to use or not. Given the strong software sales you're clearly in the wrong. This isn't about highly selling hardware versus crap software sales (Wii) in this case.

The Adventurer good return answers, and you're right. Given the sales and support by third parties of the 3DS versus Vita it's clear more people are into a handheld the isn't HD, but still looks sharp and offers some nice perks at a lower price point because once you cross a certain threshhold you're better off just having an expensive portable or a console. I think he probably didn't see those pre-HD systems perhaps, like maybe his nose was raised up so high the view was just plain blocked. If you didn't know he does posts like this that turn into trolling and arguing if people don't agree with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I have a 3DS XL and would not mind a HD screen on it. I think it looks ok, but it is looking dated. As for the 3D, I myself could care less about it. I play with it off 99% of the time. Thats my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It wouldn't really matter if the 3DS had a higher resolution screen, because the system doesn't really have the horsepower to take advantage of it. It would have had to have a better mobile GPU design than it currently has. That would have raised the price too high, and a higher resolution screen would also raise the price considerably.

Nintendo unfortunately is a wee bit behind the times with their hardware. Lately, they are a full generation behind the competition, so we just have to be patient for current tech to be so far out there, that even with Nintendo a full gen behind, that gen is still strong enough to impress us. I'm guessing their next portable system will have what you're looking for.

I still think games like Mario 3D World look absolutely fantastic on a 3DS XL, so I'm perfectly happy with what they're bringing to the table, but yeah, it would be kinda cool if Nintendo actually put some cutting edge tech in the stuff once in a blue moon. They haven't really cared that much about tech since the "Dream Team" and "Project Reality", back in 1995.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    I have a 3DS XL and would not mind a HD screen on it. I think it looks ok, but it is looking dated. As for the 3D, I myself could care less about it. I play with it off 99% of the time. Thats my opinion.
    A higher res screen wouldn't change anything, because the games and hardware are all optimized for a 400 × 240 screen. The 3DS XL's screen is already physically larger then the 3DS screen (4.8in vs 3.53in) and the resolution is the same between the two. If you doubled the screen resolution to 800 x 480 (or rather 1600 x 480 for the stereoscopic 3D effect) you also have to double its graphical processing needs. Not to mention games designed with 400 x 240 in mind just won't look their best upscaled that much. AND having to deal with HD quality assets in 3DS game carts means less space for more, you know... GAME.

You can't just slap a higher res screen on a 3DS and call it 'HD'. That's not how it works.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

in all honesty the 3d effect on the 3ds is the only one that works for me out of any thing I have watched in 3d.
    I have a hard time with movies and TV's, it enver looks very 3d, the best one that did look some what 3d to me was tron.

now when I turn my new 3ds on and I even look at some of the things it brings up in the menu on the top screen its like wow big difference, haven't been able to play any games yet since the e-shops been down when I am home to play it but I don't think it'll be bad. I tried friends 3ds's and store demos but I guess I couldn't get the angle just right so I always shut it off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I LOVE the stereoscopic 3D effect. I think it adds a lot of charm to the 3DS and adds to the general aesthetic of games. Granted I can see 3D in all its forms, and generally enjoy it when its applied well to movies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a 3DS owner myself, I definitely enjoy the 3D effect. I like seeing a Nintendo preach innovation instead of following the HD crowd.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I bought a 3DS XL a few months back and have been loving it.

I really don't care about the 3D, however. If I get to an area in a game, sometimes i'll switch on the 3D for a bit to see what it looks like, but then I switch it off after a few minutes. I think it looks fantastic and I have no problem with the 3D effect, I usually just don't get much out of it.

I don't think it was a mistake for nintindo to include it. The games look fantastice with 3D on or off and as said above it selling like hot cakes so...
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    I bought a 3DS XL a few months back and have been loving it.

I really don't care about the 3D, however. If I get to an area in a game, sometimes i'll switch on the 3D for a bit to see what it looks like, but then I switch it off after a few minutes. I think it looks fantastic and I have no problem with the 3D effect, I usually just don't get much out of it.

I don't think it was a mistake for nintindo to include it. The games look fantastice with 3D on or off and as said above it selling like hot cakes so...
    Maybe it wasn't a mistake commercially,but it kinda was when it comes to graphics.
    Whatever i guess,it's still good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe it wasn't a mistake commercially,but it kinda was when it comes to graphics.
    You seem to suffer from the common ailment of believing that 'lower resolution = worse graphics'. There is so much more to graphics then resolution. Like. A lot.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You seem to suffer from the common ailment of believing that 'lower resolution = worse graphics'. There is so much more to graphics then resolution. Like. A lot.
    Yes.
    Still looks blurry and all.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Are handhelds even ready for HD? Is the PS Vita HD?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Are handhelds even ready for HD? Is the PS Vita HD?
    It's higher than SD but lower than HD. I think it's only 544p.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's higher than SD but lower than HD. I think it's only 544p.
    I think that would count as ED. HD has to be 720p, 1080i, or higher.

Anyway, my opinion is that there's no point in HD on a screen that small. Even on small TV's, you can get nearly as good a picture on SD as on HD, only issue is text would be less readable, but that's as much the p vs i thing as resolution. On a dedicated system like a 3DS they can always make sure text is readable, regardless.