Thread: Do HDMI to Component downscalers exist for using HDMI devices on CRTs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Default Do HDMI to Component downscalers exist for using HDMI devices on CRTs?

I'm curious if anyone knows if what I'm seeking is possible.

For a while now, I've wanted to use my Ouya on my CRT for retro gaming. Problem is the Ouya only has an HDMI port for 720p and 1080p.

My Electrohome CRT has component input for up to 480i, but can also support 240p, the equivalent of RGB SCART.

Does anyone know of a converter that could downscale the digital HDMI output of the Ouya to analog Component 480i? Checking ebay and the like, I do see HDMI to Component cables, but they don't actually do any conversion, they're just unidirectional cables that carry as-is signals, and my tv wouldn't be able to handle 480p, let alone 720p/1080p.

I've seen all kinds of video upscalers, but thats the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Any help is much appreciated.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If you could get it to component you could then run component into another convertor

example http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Takes pretty much any component resolution input and turns it to composite and S-video

I don't know that the end results will be anything worth bothering with, though.

I also realize you actually want component 480i, but just came across this and thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I don't know about HDMI to component (there probably is) but I do know there is HDMI to composite.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Huh?

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE.../dp/B008FO7PQA

Here's a cheaper one and can be USB powered (by your OUYA itself)

http://dx.com/p/playvision-hdv-m610-...52227&u=152345

Though an s-video version would be better if your CRT supports it. I bought one for my NeoGeo X last year hoping that the video would appear a bit better vs. the stock composite out. Got that one on Amazon too. It was about 50 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital...dmi+to+s-video

If you actually want *component* video (not composite/s-video), they have those too. Along with HDMI to VGA, etc...

Last edited by StealthLurker; 01-04-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0) SpiceWare's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I don't know about HDMI to component (there probably is) but I do know there is HDMI to composite.
    There is, I'm using this one to convert HDMI from my Mac mini DVR into component for my HDTV. The TV's a 65" rear projection unit from 2001, which predates HDMI by a couple years.

I cancelled DirecTV a year ago and have the Mac mini record local channels (on my last channel scan there were 113 channels in the Houston area!) and just purchase other shows like The Walking Dead à la cart via iTunes. I've saved over $1400(what I would have paid DirecTV less what I paid for à la cart content) in the past year.

More info in my DVR Project blog entries if anybody's interested.
    Darrell Spice, Jr.
    SpiceWare- We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
    Artistic Overpass - nobody said roadways had to be drab
    Medieval Mayhem - This ain't your father's Warlords

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

StealthLurker, thanks for those links.

My CRT is capable of the following:

RF
    Composite
    S-Video
    RGB 240P (via SCART to component adapter)
    Component 480i

It is not capable of 480p component or anything above.

Since the highest resolution possible for the TV is 480i, I'd ideally like to use that if possible, but it leaves a lot of questions in the air.

The Ouya outputs only HD signals through the HDMI cable, 720p or 1080p It does not output 480p or 480i.

Even if I buy a HDMI to Component adapter wouldn't it still be dependent on the resolution being transmitted? so... if it sends 720p HDMI, wouldn't that be 720p component? That would be useless. I need something that converts that 720p to 480i specifically. Somehow I doubt there's such a converter to that so specifically

So then, what about HDMI to SCART? I have spotted a few on ebay and the like, but all those convert to SCART carrying a simple composite signal, rather than RGB. Does anyone know of an HDMI to SCART adapter that maintains RGB instead of reducing it down to composite?

If that fails, then what of HDMI to S-Video adapters? Can anyone recommend any of those? The last resort is HDMi to Composite, which I don't want to do unless I have no other choice. First preference would be 480i component if at all possible, then RGB SCART, then S-Video, then and only then, composite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    StealthLurker, thanks for those links.

My CRT is capable of the following:

RF
    Composite
    S-Video
    RGB 240P (via SCART to component adapter)
    Component 480i

It is not capable of 480p component or anything above.

Since the highest resolution possible for the TV is 480i, I'd ideally like to use that if possible, but it leaves a lot of questions in the air.

The Ouya outputs only HD signals through the HDMI cable, 720p or 1080p It does not output 480p or 480i.

Even if I buy a HDMI to Component adapter wouldn't it still be dependent on the resolution being transmitted? so... if it sends 720p HDMI, wouldn't that be 720p component? That would be useless. I need something that converts that 720p to 480i specifically. Somehow I doubt there's such a converter to that so specifically

So then, what about HDMI to SCART? I have spotted a few on ebay and the like, but all those convert to SCART carrying a simple composite signal, rather than RGB. Does anyone know of an HDMI to SCART adapter that maintains RGB instead of reducing it down to composite?

If that fails, then what of HDMI to S-Video adapters? Can anyone recommend any of those? The last resort is HDMi to Composite, which I don't want to do unless I have no other choice. First preference would be 480i component if at all possible, then RGB SCART, then S-Video, then and only then, composite.

It'll work. I've done the same thing with the NeoGeo X's hdmi output (1080p). If you're still doubtful, look at this thread on the OUYA forums where others have done it.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...ng-on-a-CRT-TV

Basically the video will get transcoded down to 480i most likely. To get "extract" 240p RGB, you will need a much more elaborate setup with something like an Extron Emotia. However you'd have to convert HDMI to VGA first to feed the Emotia. Then you'd need to take the RGBs BNC outputs from the emotia and hook it up to another device unless your RGB monitor has RGBs BNC inputs.

Note, I've also done similar things with my iPhone/iPad. Their native resolutions are "much higher than a CRT" and things work out.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 01-05-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Alright, help me out here then:

What adapter should I consider buying that would allow me to play my Ouya in 480i component? I don't want HDMI to composite, I want HDMI to Component....480i.

My confusion again rises from not understanding how a HDMI to component adapter would even downscale to 480i in the first place. Wouldn't it just take the 720p signal from HDMi and spit out a component 720p signal?

Also, I'd like to know specifically what adapter you're using there to get on that sweet looking CRT of yours. That looks like an RGB monitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There are HDMI to component (720p) converters out there, but that's not what you want. If you truly have an old school RGB CRT (RGBs not YUV/YPbPr), it won't work.

First off, what kind of RGB monitor do you have? Some won't take component correctly without other gadgets in the conversion chain.

Have you tried connecting a Wii or Xbox 1, etc with component cable outputting 480p to your RGB monitor? If yes did it work? Sometimes even 480p doesn't work (you get a "double image"). However 240p would work, but you would need more "exotic devices" to give you 240p. On the other hand, the OUYA menu may not be usable at that res.

But 480i should work every time. That's why it's safer to just go with something that will *transcode* it down to 480i. All of them should work that.

Bottom line... based your monitor and model number, there will be experimentation and possibly buying things that may not work. So I'm hesitant to do that. However I do know what is guaranteed to work. At this point I would just recommend to go with an HDMI to s-video converter.

Yeah that's a Sony PVM RGB monitor. I love them. I think I've got 7-8 of them now in different sizes. One of them is NOS complete with box. Others come in really neat travel cases. I also got an RGB CRT from Japan that accepts a J21 RGB input (similar to EUR SCART) and some other RGB monitors. Got a closet full of diff converters/processors, home theater grade stand alone video processors and those Micomsoft XRGB processors.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 01-06-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    There are HDMI to component (720p) converters out there, but that's not what you want. If you truly have an old school RGB CRT (RGBs not YUV/YPbPr), it won't work.

First off, what kind of RGB monitor do you have? Some won't take component correctly without other gadgets in the conversion chain.
    I don't have an RGB monitor, I have an NTSC Electrohome flatscreen CRT television. It has RF, Composite, S-Video, and Component video inputs.

Have you tried connecting a Wii or Xbox 1, etc with component cable outputting 480p to your RGB monitor?
    Yes, and I get absolutely nothing if I try to run 480p. Just a black screen. on those, I can go to the options menus and switch the video output to 480i and then they work. However, this isn't possible on Ouya. It auto-switches between 720p and 1080p depending on what the tv is capable of. Since my CRT is capable of neither, this is what worries me.

Bottom line... based your monitor and model number, there will be experimentation and possibly buying things that may not work. So I'm hesitant to do that. However I do know what is guaranteed to work. At this point I would just recommend to go with an HDMI to s-video converter.
    That's my thoughts. I live in Canada, so sending things back to probably the US when they don't work is going to cost a lot of time and money, and I'd just rather avoid the hassle unless I'm assured the converter will work, which is why I'm so antsy about buying an HDMI to Component adapter for a CRT that can only display interlaced 480i (and 240p via my SCART to component adapter).

Alternatively (and better if at all possible), since I know for certain the CRT is capable of 240p RGB via my RGB SCART to Component adapter, do you know of any HDMI to SCART adapter that carries RGB? I looked around, and every single one I saw merely transforms the signal into composite and carries it through the SCART lead. The ones I were looking at don't maintain RGB. If you can point me to one of these, this is what I would most prefer.

If not, then can you specifically recommend me some HDMI to S-Video adapters? I've looked, but the ones I see are all composite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Don't know offhand about a version of HDMI to s-video or SCART that will definitely get what you want (no funny composite trickery).

But if you're interested in the "best" ... this chain is ideal:

HDMI -> HD Fury (HDMI to VGA) -> Scan converter (which downscales progressive VGA to 15khz SD)

Where a "Scan converter" (convert 31khz to 15khz) example is below. You'll also need a cable to take the output from the scan converter to your monitor.

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/vga...b-gbs8100.html

An HD Fury runs about 150 if I recall. You'll also need an HDMI to DVI cable to feed the HDFury.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/15110..._Displays.html

... though sounds ridiculous because the components below cost more than an OUYA! Would be cheaper to get an old PC, slap in an ArcadeVGA card, VGA to RGBHV breakout BNC cable and a BNC T junction to combine H/V sync.

If you think this chain is ridiculous... it's not. You should see the setups over at the shmups forum. My setup is pretty crazy too with all sorts of devices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

OUYA... on a CRT! Excuse the crappy cellphone pics. Got an Extron Super Emotia on the way too. Plan to go HDMI to VGA, then feed to the Emotia for 15khz 240p output via RGBs BNCs. Should look even better then.

The native HD games look pretty good too. Unfortunately my cell shows a moire-like pattern, can't see it in person though.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 01-22-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'll work. I've done the same thing with the NeoGeo X's hdmi output (1080p). If you're still doubtful, look at this thread on the OUYA forums where others have done it.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...ng-on-a-CRT-TV

Basically the video will get transcoded down to 480i most likely. To get "extract" 240p RGB, you will need a much more elaborate setup with something like an Extron Emotia. However you'd have to convert HDMI to VGA first to feed the Emotia. Then you'd need to take the RGBs BNC outputs from the emotia and hook it up to another device unless your RGB monitor has RGBs BNC inputs.

Note, I've also done similar things with my iPhone/iPad. Their native resolutions are "much higher than a CRT" and things work out.

You can get BNC to RCA adapters for about .50 a pop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    You can get BNC to RCA adapters for about .50 a pop

Yeah. I've got a couple bags of them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi All.

I have just purchased a B&O MX7000 (European Model) in rather perfect condition for the price of 50€ , i'm however planning on using it with the Ouya i noticed it has 2 Scart/RGB inputs its rather hard to find a decent converter for it.

Name:  bg21.jpg
Views: 4903
Size:  4.6 KB

This one (Adapter/Converter) has HDMI input , but the Output is not RGB but Component.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1095853_LB_00_FB.EPS.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	7673

(RGB/Scart=Component Compatible?)

If anyone could help me out on how to connect the Ouya to my Mx7000 that would be very much appreciated ! , for now i'm using my Wii with a RGB cable.

Thanks in advance

Best and kind of regards.