Thread: Gamecube crashes trying to play Biohazard 0

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Gamecube crashes trying to play Biohazard 0

This is a strange problem. I'm using an orange NTSC-J Gamecube and Biohazard 0. I can play any of my GC games and never have issues.

Biohazard 0 always crashes. Anywhere from 5-70 minutes I would say, it will crash. I just got a SECOND copy of this game from a friend and five minutes into the game it crashed. I seriously doubt I have TWO copies of the game with fucked up game discs, especially with my original copy being basically mint condition. And I doubt my console is defective only because I can play any other game and I've never seen my console crash.

When it crashes the screen goes black and displays a message:

エラーが発生しました。

本体のパワーボタンを押して電源をOFFにし、本体の取扱説明書の指示に従ってください。

In English this roughly means:

An error has occurred.

Press the system power button and shut off the power, then follow the instructions of the system manual.

Is there a known software glitch in Biohazard 0 or what? How can it be only one game crashes on this system and nothing else? Do I have no choice but to get a new Japanese Gamecube? This makes no sense. :-(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

That isn't necessarily a crash, that is the exact same message you can get with a disk read error when you're using burnt games on a console without the laser being turned up enough. Very possible the scratches on the discs are giving the laser a hard time and it kicks out an error instead of continuing. I'd try cleaning the laser to start with (qtip and rubbing alcohol, be VERY gentle) and then move onto adjusting the POT ever so slightly.

If you can test the games on a second cube before you play with the POT on the laser PCB. Given it's the only game that does this it shouldn't be a bad laser. You also won't need a Japanese GameCube but you could get a copy of Freeloader or a region switch installed.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

That isn't necessarily a crash, that is the exact same message you can get with a disk read error when you're using burnt games on a console without the laser being turned up enough. Very possible the scratches on the discs are giving the laser a hard time and it kicks out an error instead of continuing. I'd try cleaning the laser to start with (qtip and rubbing alcohol, be VERY gentle) and then move onto adjusting the POT ever so slightly.

If you can test the games on a second cube before you play with the POT on the laser PCB. Given it's the only game that does this it shouldn't be a bad laser. You also won't need a Japanese GameCube but you could get a copy of Freeloader or a region switch installed on an American cube.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?