Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How popular is the Genesis these days?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    pardon my ignorance here, but i've not seen the R4/5/etc distinctions prior; what is that?
    Those are rarity ratings from 1 to 10 as described from this site's rarity guide, which was pretty useful and relevant about 10 years ago give or take.

that's fine, and i wasn't trying to be snooty - there's a notion in recent years that sonic is about pressing right to win; classic sonic titles had multi-tiered levels with several ways to finish them & lots to explore, if you were so inclined. I was just pointing that out because i think a lotta people missed that until about Sonic 3 (secret stages) or Sonic CD (future/past signs).
    If you play the Sonic Advance games on the GBA, many of the levels are basically press right to win. I've passed at least one whole level just by holding right, and occasionally pressing jump when stuck at a wall or small ledge. There was no real skilled platforming required like in the original Genesis games.

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    "In the late 80's and early 90's ...so many of the games were terrible"

Are you still pretending that the discussion was about launch games?
    He said many, not most. And I'm pretty sure he said early 90's so we'd be including the SNES which came out here in 1991. Most of the good games that everyone remembers on the Genesis or SNES came out in 1992 or later. So any game pre-1992 would be considered for his statement, and plenty were bad, though several also were good. If you're altering the quote, remove "so" as it's out of context. Many of the games were terrible, that's true, or at least mediocre if terrible is too much. That's still not even saying most of the games. I just disagreed with his specific view on Sonic 1.

Half-man, half-amazing Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The NZA 2099
    PSN
    TheIrishNinja
    3DS Friend
    2062-9756-7502
    Steam
    The NZA

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Those are rarity ratings from 1 to 10 as described from this site's rarity guide, which was pretty useful and relevant about 10 years ago give or take.
    ah, a shame it's not current cause something like that'd be pretty useful, at least in determining legit low print runs from weird retro bubble prices.

Insert Coin (Level 0) segafan1989's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad that the Segalicious Genesis is unpopular with a lot of people. It makes it easier and cheaper for me to obtain the games I want for a most beloved system. Model 1 attached to a Model 1 Sega CD owner speakin from the heart.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

ah, a shame it's not current cause something like that'd be pretty useful, at least in determining legit low print runs from weird retro bubble prices.
    As far as print runs go, the numbers on the rarity guide should still be accurate. The number of games printed has not changed. The only thing that really changed are the prices on the guide. If you want to see how high or low the games' print runs were, the rarity guide is still a great place to see the games' relations to each other.

Certain titles bubbled just because more people are adults and collecting now. You'd be surprised how young some of the nostalgic kids are too. Some kids most definitely grew up playing their dad's old Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis in the last decade among other consoles. Now they want their own.

When I have a kid they'll get to play Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Playstation etc. and they will get their own system from me. They're going to want games and in 20 years you other collectors and myself included better watch out. He or she is going to be bidding against us. I'm lucky I don't have the same hobbies as my dad or I'd be competing with him on all those nice looking ebay guitars.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 01-14-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of the nonsense about the Genesis not having as strong of a library as the SNES comes from Square/JRPG fanboys who perpetuate the myth that not only was the Genesis deficient in this genre, it was in a ton of others as well. When it comes to shmups and sports games, the Genesis easily outdoes the SNES. It wasn't until Madden '96 that I played an EA Sports ttitle on the SNES that didn't have piss poor AI compared to its Genesis counterpart. When it comes to fighting games released on both consoles, the Genesis ports almost always ran quicker, and just as with the sports games had more challenging AI. The "lack of JRPGs" myth has a lot to do with misperceptions from people who got into that genre with FFVII. Because Sega still had that early '90s mindset that "gamers in the West never buy RPGs", really good franchises like Langrisser, Phantasy Star etc. that produced some of the best titles on the console never were carried on correctly into the 32 bit era when demand for RPGs on this side of the pond exploded. Every Genesis Phantasy Star title, including 3 imo, surpasses any SNES rpg I've played aside from the Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger and Ogre Battle. Yes, including Earthbound, which is easily the most overrated game in the whole SNES library

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RPG's were never in demand outside of Japan. FF7 just had that good a marketing campaign, and the internet never, EVER, represents a majority in any fashion.

Hell, even the Japan/RPG thing seems a bit questionable. The best Selling SNES RPG was Dragon Quest 6. ~17 million SNES's were sold in Japan, and of that 17 million, 3.2 million copies of DQ6 were sold. A great number of sales for the time to be sure, but if the RPG genre was that massive, what happened there? Each family that bought it had 5 other families they'd eventually lend it to? 14 million casuals?

I mean it really makes you wonder how overstated that genre is across the 'net.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Casuals". Really, this. 3.2 million is quite a lot, but of everyone in Japan, the ones who really want to talk about games on the internet are the ones who are most passionate about it. People who bought SNES's for Mario, Madden (all my brother played), and a few others probably won't go to gaming forums to talk about their love of Mario and Madden. But RPG fans have that extra passion for gaming that makes a good number of them over-represented on the internet.

In my opinion, that's a good thing. I don't give a shit what someone who hasn't touched a Super Nintendo in over a decade thinks about it. It's irrelevant to me.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I have to admit Sega RPGs are not as bad as they look. Even Miracle Warriors for Sega Master System can be addicting and that game is pretty ugly until you get into battle where the backgrounds have far more detail than Dragon Warrior. And this game was released before Dragon Quest was released in Japan! The Phantasy Star games don't really look as visually smooth as the Squaresoft SNES games, but they probably still play very well.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I am seeing locally, just these past few weeks, the Genesis market is pretty hot. Supplies of boxed or better games are a lot harder to find than they used to be when I started collecting casually for the Genesis in the late '99s. This past week I'm having to pay a lot more for nice complete titles than earlier. Some examples for the bored:

I am trying to find a few of the Renovation titles that slipped through my hands over the years: Elemental Master was $37 shipped CIB. I would like a complete copy of Arrow Flash, but the lowest CIB price I found was around $40.

I feel lucky nowadays when I can get a boxed game for the price of a loose cart if the game is rare enough, my Moonwalker in this example. Prices have cooled off a bit for this title.

Obscure shooters: Task Force Harrier was $40 CIB. The only way I could get a CIB Hellfire somewhat within budget was to order a 12 game bundle. On it's own that is fetching...$45. Stupid Seismic and their low print runs.

Just yesterday I found Data East's Atomic Runner locally; it is a hybrid platform shooter that is even better than the original arcade game. Unfortunately my CIB copy has a wrinkled cover and the backside of the paper has major dried up mold. I think for health reasons I'm going to toss the original cover and repro one on my laser printer, (thoughts?). Anyhow, I mention this because online this title is spiking too, well beyond my budget to try and find another original cover/better copy of it.

As a final example (since this is getting rather long winded), look at Vapor Trail. Complete copies of that are very scarce and expensive. It is now another $40-50 game for those that want boxed or better.

Wrapping this up, I feel lucky these days if I can get any complete Genesis games for the $10-$12 range. It's just amazing since the days of Funcoland, thrift stores, and other local huge supplies of Genesis games are fresh in my head. Times have changed and pretty quickly too. Titles I thought back then would explode into very high dollar games (Toe Jam & Earl, PS IV) have stayed about the same prices as back in the early '00s, so there is some good news for new collectors. It's clear someone besides me is buying Genesis and in a big way. I credit sega-16.com and online youtube review sites like Classic Game Room for getting the word out.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    Unfortunately my CIB copy has a wrinkled cover and the backside of the paper has major dried up mold. I think for health reasons I'm going to toss the original cover and repro one on my laser printer, (thoughts?).
    You might be able to clean that up. Take out the paper and wipe it down with a paper towel wet/damp with Windex. It should clean up, I've cleaned some manuals like this before(even just with water instead of Windex to save a bit on costs), going through every single page.

Insert Coin (Level 0) zakthedodo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a huge fanbase for the Genesis/Mega Drive
    The Genesis is as expensive as you make it.
    I liked games CIB and most of the time, I went for the Japanese Mega Drive games because I liked the cart design better and most of the manuals were full color throughout,..just a better presented product in general.
    Some games I needed 4 to 6 weeks to stash enough to pick up something like Pulseman or Battle Mania.
    It's pretty much now an investment.

Imports is where you can get into deep prices, and say RPGs.
    When the Genesis launched in the U.S., advertising was top heavy on sports and arcade titles.
    Early on Phantasy Star II was Segas biggest and maybe only RPG.
    There are a lot of consoles in good shape and I suspect this is due to Sega targeting teenagers and people in their early 20's with the advertising campaign.
    First series of any game console where so many who wanted the system probably used their own cash to buy and didn't feel the need to draw and write all over carts and manuals.
    Last edited by zakthedodo; 01-16-2014 at 08:38 PM.