Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How popular is the Genesis these days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I think a lot of people forget this fact. The Genesis, while a solid system with a great library, was so successful because it was released during the life span of the NES. The graphics bump was enough to put it on the map in terms of sales. The SNES, which came a few years latter would be a technically more impressive machine, and Sega would never again lead in console dominance.

The Genesis's success is almost entirely tied to its timing of release.
    Revisionist history?

Did the Dreamcast not dominate the console race through the year 2000?
    Last edited by sloan; 01-07-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Revisionist history?

Did the Dreamcast not dominate the console race through the year 2000?
    It did not. In fact, it was outsold by the N64 and Playstation One until the price cut just after the PS2 launch and only beat the unit sales on the PS2 initially because of a severe supply shortage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sega does what Nintendon't.....classic that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope we don't have a flame war on here, What's better SNES or the Genesis

I like both system, Sonic on the Genesis and Mario on the SNES

Blame all the damn Nintendo Fanboy's on the Internet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    What games are those? I can think of maybe two or three that command over the $200 range. Battle Mania 2, and Eliminate Down, and maybe Rockman Mega World.
    You forgot one, Snow Bros., last I checked that one was priced insanely.

Genesis will always be in vogue for me, over 160 games strong in my collection, and always looking for more. My SNES on the other hand, thanks to prices, stands a little over 130 or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Sega does what Nintendon't.....classic that

More like Nintendoes what Segan't!

Ok, doesn't really work...
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    This just isn't accurate at all. You don't sell tens of millions of consoles based solely on a graphics bump and timing. The Genesis also had an outstanding library of games with many arcade ports and sports titles early on which is why a lot of us bought one at the time. The NES also didn't sell particularly well in Europe and frankly, the Megadrive outsold the SNES there despite its technical edge. At the end of the day, the SNES ended up with a more impressive overall library IMHO, but the Genesis has a pretty outstanding library as well.
    In the late 80's and early 90's the graphics improvement over the NES was everything. Back then that was essentially the number one selling point; how close the graphics were to "arcade quality". So many of the games were terrible or had about 60 minutes of play value attached (ahem, Altered Beast), but looked so cool, and the fact that one could finish the game in about 20 minutes with about zero reason to play through again didn't matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What games are those? I can think of maybe two or three that command over the $200 range. Battle Mania 2, and Eliminate Down, and maybe Rockman Mega World.
    Gleylancer maybe and verytex

Half-man, half-amazing Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The NZA 2099
    PSN
    TheIrishNinja
    3DS Friend
    2062-9756-7502
    Steam
    The NZA

wow, i totally do not agree with Sega-CD and especially Saturn "lacking quality", there's a lotta greats & classics to be found, especially on Saturn. we can talk all day about the wrong moves they made marketing things, but there's way too many broad/wrong statements here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I think a lot of people forget this fact. The Genesis, while a solid system with a great library, was so successful because it was released during the life span of the NES. The graphics bump was enough to put it on the map in terms of sales. The SNES, which came a few years latter would be a technically more impressive machine, and Sega would never again lead in console dominance.

The Genesis's success is almost entirely tied to its timing of release.
    this is entirely factually incorrect; SNES was out a mere 2 years into the Genesis' cycle (1991) and '92/93 Sega enjoyed a larger marketshare, thanks the popularity of Sonic, sports titles & a host of hardcore entries too (arcade, beat-em-ups, fighters, SHMUPs etc). Sega starting falling off hard around '94 because while Genesis was getting long in the tooth, they were splitting their house too much supporting Game Gear, Sega-CD, 32x and Saturn development (and release in Japan). ports on SNES in later years tended to look/sound better but that's not a given for every title either; you have to define exactly what you mean by "technically more impressive" because the SNES' CPU held it back but not in a way that many who played the most common games noticed (JRPGs, platformers etc). Kalinske, then head of SOA tried telling SOJ that the 16-bit gen had a few more years in it, but when the rushed Saturn bombed over here, SOJ pulled the plug on all the other systems to focus on that one, and SNES basically had the market to itself & proceeded to eat many newcomers' lunch with stuff like DKC, mario RPG etc into the mid-90's.

the SNES was a great system with a fantastic library, but there's no need to revise history for it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    This just isn't accurate at all. You don't sell tens of millions of consoles based solely on a graphics bump and timing. The Genesis also had an outstanding library of games with many arcade ports and sports titles early on which is why a lot of us bought one at the time. The NES also didn't sell particularly well in Europe and frankly, the Megadrive outsold the SNES there despite its technical edge. At the end of the day, the SNES ended up with a more impressive overall library IMHO, but the Genesis has a pretty outstanding library as well.
    also this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I hope we don't have a flame war on here, What's better SNES or the Genesis

I like both system, Sonic on the Genesis and Mario on the SNES

Blame all the damn Nintendo Fanboy's on the Internet
    me too, but agreed; when retrospectives are done i tend to think the history is painted rather one-sided.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    In the late 80's and early 90's the graphics improvement over the NES was everything. Back then that was essentially the number one selling point; how close the graphics were to "arcade quality". So many of the games were terrible or had about 60 minutes of play value attached (ahem, Altered Beast), but looked so cool, and the fact that one could finish the game in about 20 minutes with about zero reason to play through again didn't matter.
    ugh, this is also severely under painting the breadth of titles/genres the Genesis saw. even arcade style stuff like Strider, Streets of Rage, or run-n-gun like Rolling Thunder 2 fit your criteria on length, but make up for it with challenge as they're meant to be replayed/mastered, no idea why that's a negative here but if you want to pretend they were all like a rushed launch title...okay, i guess?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default My 2 Cents

I think the Genesis is still popular. Just this last year for Christmas, I noticed an 80s games SOC unit at a local store. I think this verifies that the Genesis still has a lot of fans out there. The issue I see with Sega is there brand doesn't mean anything anymore. Back in the day Sega was king for Arcade and people would get excited about having a piece of that at home. In today's world Sega means new Sonic game every two years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    ugh, this is also severely under painting the breadth of titles/genres the Genesis saw. even arcade style stuff like Strider, Streets of Rage, or run-n-gun like Rolling Thunder 2 fit your criteria on length, but make up for it with challenge as they're meant to be replayed/mastered, no idea why that's a negative here but if you want to pretend they were all like a rushed launch title...okay, i guess?
    Yeah his referencing Altered Beast, which was a "free" pack-in game, is entirely narrow sighted.
    My early library consisted on Herzog Zwei, Populous, Thunder Force III, Phantasy Star II, Revenge of Shinobi, Ghouls And Ghosts, and a few others like Mystic Defender, Castle of Illusion....
    tell me you're beating them in 20 minutes and there's no replay value...
    So many of the games were terrible or had about 60 minutes of play value attached (ahem, Altered Beast), but looked so cool, and the fact that one could finish the game in about 20 minutes with about zero reason to play through again didn't matter.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Gleylancer maybe and verytex
    and Slap Fight, and Crusader of Centy, and Snow Bros, and Panorama Cotton.
    The original comment suggested there are "lots of" Mega Drive games "consistently selling" in the $400-500 range.
    That isn't happening.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 01-08-2014 at 04:10 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What?
    C'mon, Altered Beast does suck, though that doesn't take away from the awesomeness of many other titles that came out for it, even in the early days. The SNES might have beat it in the end, back when it failed to get a Saturn launch and late-gen games were making a splash on the SNES, but the Genesis was highly loved in my neighborhood for most of my childhood.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    It was a selling point, but it certainly wasn't the only selling point. If it was, the TG-16 should have been a major success against the NES in the US and the 3do should have outsold the Genesis and SNES. There were tons of PC and Amiga games ported in some fashion to the Genesis. Those games included complex ones like Star Control, Starflight, Populous, Powermonger, the Immortal, etc...as well as tons of Psygnosis games. Both the SNES and the Genesis had their share of throw away garbage games, but the Genesis had a library that was just as strong as the SNES for most of that particular console generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    C'mon, Altered Beast does suck
    I didnt dispute that nor sugest otherwise.
    Wiggy said " So many of the games were terrible or had about 60 minutes of play value attached"
    That's just bullshit. Sure, if you want to be ignorant of all the other games I guess you can say that.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

For lacking in third party support because of reasons everyone knows and I don't really have to explain, the Genesis was an amazing system and had a ton of great exclusives.

They really screwed up with their multiple add ons for the Genesis though and then after they launched the Saturn, the Playstation was the hot item and got a large amount of third party support. Dreamcast was the final nail in the coffin with how easy it was to pirate games and everyone wanted the PS2 after the PSX.

Maybe if the Sega CD and 32X weren't Genesis add ons and either one or the other was their own console that released in 1992, then they would have got more support and things would have turned out different. The Sega CD was great for its time, it was just ignored by gamers and developers alike because it was an add on. If it was its own console in 1992, then it would probably have had the graphics quality of the 32X did as an add on in 1994. With atleast three years, Sega would have had a good run until they Playstation came out and they could have released the Saturn after the Playstation and possibly get more support because of the quality of the prior console.

Maybe in an alternate universe, Sega has better management and made smarter decisions.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's alot of good games for the Genesis

Sonic Series
    Streets of Rage Trilogy
    Vectorman & Vectorman 2
    Gaiares
    TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
    Truxton
    Virtua Racing
    Mega Bomberman
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Ms. Pac-Man
    OutRun

That's mosty in my collection

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are awesome!
    And it's a pity that MD isn't that popular,but i love it's library.
    Yeah,ok,it wasn't as good as the SNES',but still.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love the Genesis, definitely my favorite of 16-bit generation.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I don't think it's a hipster thing at all. More to do with the fact that Nintendo was massive before the SNES and afterwards, with franchises continuing to this day. SEGA is basically dead as of 2001, in terms of new content. Everything since is derivative. SEGA's CD, 32x, Saturn, and Dreamcast were retail failures. But it's really all about the system you grew up with. By 1994, most kids were getting a SNES not a Genesis, so those who are now grown up are going to want the SNES. In terms of demand, the SNES franchises are more well known because many saw subsequent titles. The SNES has a stronger library, of both highly-acclaimed and collector-sought after games. There are SEGA fanboys for sure, but they're all old enough to have dived back into collecting already. There won't be anyone new, just the die-hards who collect most anything. Like me, I never had a Colecovision, though I played it back in the day a couple times. Yet I have one and many games and accessories.

Thats pretty spot on. Dont forget that the AAA series Sega used to have, have been stomped into the mud countless times now with bad games. Sonic as a series cant hold a candle to Mario these days, let alone Zelda or Metroid. A new Sonic game will probably suck whereas Mario [almost always] will be a great product, so the chances of a new gamer playing a new Sonic title and wanting to play the old titles is pretty nil [imo].

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe when Nintendo stuff gets so outrageously expensive, people will turn to old Sega stuff and find out that it is just an awesome as the Nintendo side of things.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!