Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RetroN5: Hands on first look

[content removed by request]
    Last edited by shadowkn55; 01-07-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Can you explain who you are, and how you have access to the RetroN5 already? There have been others who have claimed to have access and badmouthed it, and I'd just like to know who you are, since StoneAgeGamer doesn't even have the beta yet.

Did you take better pictures than those? I hope so, they don't show much we don't already know, like way it looks like out the back.

What are the exact power supply specs? Is it 5v 1A, 12v 2A, what is it?

What are the measurements of the system? The MVS cart is a good size reference, but I'd like to get a feel for how big and how tall the system is.

So it's a rom dumper just as I suspected. You said NES/SNES games dump quickly, but GBA games can take minutes. Is that a one time only thing, or is that every single time? I would hope that GBA games won't take "minutes" to boot up every single time you want to play one.

As for your troubles with SMW played with an NES pad, I can tell you right now that's not the RetroN5's doing. The 4021 is the same in both, and it would be screwy on the real hardware too. It should be able to handle on-the-fly switching of controllers without crashing, but maybe it can't because that's a prototype and the firmware to fix that hasn't been released yet. I'm sure that's not going to be a lingering problem forever.

HDMI only? Are you sure? at PAX Hyperkin showed composite inputs as well.

Please expand upon the audio issues you mentioned. What's wrong?

I just really want you to take better pictures.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by shadowkn55; 01-07-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What are they gaining by dumping each cartridge that's inserted? Would seem as if it's just increasing their workload substantially since they now have to emulate everything like SuperFX chips rather than just letting the onboard cartridge hardware do its own job.

And from our viewpoint, it increases the chances of inaccuracies, adds wait time for games we're used to booting immediately, and breaks the original saving mechanism in cartridges since obviously it won't actively be interacting with the cartridge after dumping its contents [Edit: Now that this is actually out as I edit this post, thankfully that last one has proven to be incorrect thanks to its ability to extract and then optionally later on, its ability to upload a save back to the cartridge.].
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-29-2014 at 05:23 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by shadowkn55; 01-07-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I understand how it works, but I don't understand why it needed to be that way here. Why does the emulator care where the rom data resides that it reads? PC emulators work that way since there isn't a physical interface for it to interact directly with the data on original cartridges. But this thing has those connections.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-07-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Can you explain who you are, and how you have access to the RetroN5 already? There have been others who have claimed to have access and badmouthed it, and I'd just like to know who you are, since StoneAgeGamer doesn't even have the beta yet.
    You keep saying this, but plenty of people have played with the damn thing. It was available for copious use over this past weekend during at least three conventions. Edit: Hell, that controller you said was "only a mock up" or something in other topic was at SacAnime as well. Wish I had gotten a pic of it, but I didn't think to.
    Last edited by JSoup; 01-07-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's all software based, not hardware based. So I don't see what the complexity would be in keeping continuous communication with the cartridge slot going.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Half-man, half-amazing Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The NZA 2099
    PSN
    TheIrishNinja
    3DS Friend
    2062-9756-7502
    Steam
    The NZA

wait, OP made the Omega CVS? damn man, i'm a fan of your handiwork! totally wanna get one of those one day...

great write-up; while there were no genesis specifics, its sounding like my expectations for its audio being in line with the last few models sounds about right, sadly. honestly, now that i have my old hardware over RGB the only pluses i saw here were savestates, controller options & region free but it's only the first one i could've used anyway. sounds like an awesome gift though!

also, i still have the outside hope this thing gets hacked into being an interesting MAMEbox or something, haha.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by shadowkn55; 01-07-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, sounds more like an Ouya than anything at this point. No thanks to waiting for ROMs to dump. Slow startups are something that I've had to learn to live with when using current gen consoles, but I'm not patient enough for that when trying to play classic games.

OP, I don't think they plan on adding texture to the plastic shell. I think they're going for that cliché modern look that apple (unfortunately) started 10 years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Dude unless an admin here or a lawyer said so, don't be spineless, put your posts back. There are people here very interested to learn what we can about this thing that want to throw real money at it if it's a good device.

I'm seeing you think the audio is less than execellent and that the system reads carts then fires up the emulator to play the stuff. Can't say much to the first as I never heard a retron in action before, but to the other it would make sense I suppose if they feel that works best for their save/load states on games, but it still seems weird.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Dude unless an admin here or a lawyer said so, don't be spineless, put your posts back. There are people here very interested to learn what we can about this thing that want to throw real money at it if it's a good device.
    I got an early phone call this morning. One of those two things did happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gotcha, that's a shame. I'd guess lawyers, they're usually full of shit and looking to make a buck any slimy way possible. Sorry you ran into trouble and I wish I had read this thread an hour earlier as it's infuriating they keep delaying and keeping their traps shut. Eventually I just won't care or pay for one if they keep it up.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The system has the potential to be an outstanding product if the development time was put into it. I'd rather see it continually delayed and come out near perfect than come out early as a cash grab. Otherwise, you'll stain your reputation beyond repair with the broken promises of the Neo-Geo X. How Tommo convinced SNKP that it was a good idea is beyond me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, what a way to derail a thread. Craziness. Was looking forward to seeing what was up with this thing, but I guess not now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well going by your feelings about the NGX. I'd guess it's acceptable and your average casual player with memories probably won't notice, but to people posting on this site I think it'll end up being another in the line of retrons they don't want to own. I hope that's not the case, but hey if it is I save a $100. Oh well, we'll see how it goes with the delays.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I came into this thread too late, huh?

Incidentally, i heard from Hyperkin recently that they wouldn't ask their beta testers to test my Mother 3 repro (which they are familiar with) because of the legal grey zone associated with repros, but they did say that whatever incompatibilities the R5 had with any cartridge at all would be fixed with firmware updates.