Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I very well might take you up on it.
    And by the way, all I'm really talking about is you paying shipping both ways to get your cart to/from me. It shouldn't be hard to do, once I track down the necessary files, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    They did not, it's speculation that it's Android based and remains to be confirmed.
    I might be mistaken, and I apologize if I am, but I seem to recall they announced it would be android based way, way back when a lot of the first details broke early last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OcNy7t17LA
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I scanned that but got bored halfway through. Does it mention that it's Android based?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah, that's where I recall it was announced with a lot of other things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Scanned it all the way through and still missed it. When does he say that it's Android based?

That boring presentation is hard to pay attention to. Felt like I was back in college listening to one dull student presentation after another with PowerPoint slides.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    You can't play light gun games on an HDTV. That's not a big issue for most consoles, but for some, like the Master System, NES, PS1, and PS2 you block off a chunk of the library. Most of those games are good!
    This is the issue for me, I own two Guncon2's and pretty much every PS2 shooting game and I love them much more than the million and a half FPS shooters of today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Sure, but the Ouya removes a lot of the hassle. No PC interface to deal with, no lengthy boot times, no mouse based navigation, just boot and go directly to the game on your big screen tv and sit on your sofa, as opposed to sitting at your desk on your computer screen.
    I've got a PC connected to a 42 inch HDTV right next to my bed, and on the other side is my 32 inch CRT, are you getting paid by the Ouya devs to promote that thing?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryshadow09 View Post
    I've got a PC connected to a 42 inch HDTV right next to my bed, and on the other side is my 32 inch CRT, are you getting paid by the Ouya devs to promote that thing?
    I see him on about the Retron5 more often than the Ouya, so I'd say the opposite.
    Unless he's being paid to promote both at odds. That's marketing that creates itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What would Hyperkin gain by allowing you to do that? It's not like they have any reason to do so, other than it would be nice.
    More customers? More money? More features means more interest!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I see him on about the Retron5 more often than the Ouya, so I'd say the opposite.
    Unless he's being paid to promote both at odds. That's marketing that creates itself.
    This is my first thread on DP, I found it trying to Google info on the RetroN5, he has mentioned the Ouya in just about every post after the first page!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

This is the issue for me, I own two Guncon2's and pretty much every PS2 shooting game and I love them much more than the million and a half FPS shooters of today!
    Then you are in the smallest minority of minorities. Companies like Hyperkin do not consider light gun support to be of a significent concern as to potentially address the issue as they could in theory, release a bluetooth based HDTV ready lightgun for the RetroN5. Since they've said nothing, I doubt that will ever happen, at least not officially. So for light gun games, simply keep your old systems and CRTs set up for that. For everything else though...

First, doesn't that mean you still have to sit at your computer desk? I've thought about ways to merge pc use with the convenience of consoles in the living room and I can't sort out how you could do that without either playing games via your computer desk or setting up a wireless mouse and keyboard by the sofa. Either way seems absurd to me.

And no of course I'm not being paid by Ouya. I simply am directly comparing it as an emulation powerhouse compared to using the RetroN5 for much the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I'm not promoting either. If I was, I wouldn't be so forthcoming with admitting to their shortcomings. The Ouya has some issues, and the Retron5 probably will too when it gets released. I'm merely discussing the RetroN5, and the Ouya naturally comes up as it's an extremely similar product. I mean, think about it. They're both Android based, $99 units that come with bluetooth controllers and play retro games though HDMI. There are differences of course, but they share a heck of a lot in commmon.

More customers? More money? More features means more interest!
    You...don't understand. Businesses have to judge what be popular and sell vs what the hardest of their hardcore fan base may want. I'm sorry, but the answer to the question "what would Hyperkin have to gain by allowing users to dump their games to rom and then transfer them elsewhere" is simply not "more customers/money". That's just not how it works.

Consider that Hyperkin doesn't make any flashcarts, doesn't make other clone devices or handhelds that directly work with roms, and that technically speaking backing up of copywritten materials beyond 72 hours is illegal, even if you don't distribute it. They have nothing to gain by allowing users to dump their own carts to roms. Of course I'm only speculating, but I don't think that will be a feature the RetroN5 offers. Them doing so would not increase sales/demand in any meaningful way whatsoever.

Remember, the vast majority of people who will buy this thing are casual gamers who don't even know what a rom is in the first place.

This is my first thread on DP, I found it trying to Google info on the RetroN5, he has mentioned the Ouya in just about every post after the first page!

Then I would like to point you to the much larger 17 page thread that has been home to the Retron5 discussion for many many months. The only reason this thread exists is because someone claiming to have early access leaked some info, and then retracted all their statements, and since then the discussion has spilled over here.

please read through the entire other thread to gain an understanding of who I am, what I'm saying, and why. thank you kindly.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ing-apparently

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then you are in the smallest minority of minorities. Companies like Hyperkin do not consider light gun support to be of a significent concern as to potentially address the issue as they could in theory, release a bluetooth based HDTV ready lightgun for the RetroN5. Since they've said nothing, I doubt that will ever happen, at least not officially. So for light gun games, simply keep your old systems and CRTs set up for that. For everything else though...

I'm not suggesting they add support for the 12 or so people that want it, I was just trying to participate in the thread!

First, doesn't that mean you still have to sit at your computer desk? I've thought about ways to merge pc use with the convenience of consoles in the living room and I can't sort out how you could do that without either playing games via your computer desk or setting up a wireless mouse and keyboard by the sofa. Either way seems absurd to me.

I don't own a computer desk, I have wireless mouse, keyboard and controller, I can lay in my bed and go to town, I am laying under the covers in my PJ's right now as I post this! It actually started out as a media center PC until I got an actual media player!

And no of course I'm not being paid by Ouya. I simply am directly comparing it as an emulation powerhouse compared to using the RetroN5 for much the same reason.

Makes no difference, I was commenting as somebody who's never been to this site before and saw that you mentioned the Ouya in almost every post! Whether you see the humor or not, as the new guy it was funny as hell!

I'm not promoting either. If I was, I wouldn't be so forthcoming with admitting to their shortcomings. The Ouya has some issues, and the Retron5 probably will too when it gets released. I'm merely discussing the RetroN5, and the Ouya naturally comes up as it's an extremely similar product. I mean, think about it. They're both Android based, $99 units that come with bluetooth controllers and play retro games though HDMI. There are differences of course, but they share a heck of a lot in commmon.

You...don't understand. Businesses have to judge what be popular and sell vs what the hardest of their hardcore fan base may want. I'm sorry, but the answer to the question "what would Hyperkin have to gain by allowing users to dump their games to rom and then transfer them elsewhere" is simply not "more customers/money". That's just not how it works.

Yes, I do understand, I'm one of those people who went with the Xbox over the PS2 because you could play your own music, you see where Microshaft made money because they added a feature? I'm not the only one who bought one because of that, features sell son! You got money but you're not going to get the power package in your new car? Do you see the err in what you are saying?

please read through the entire other thread to gain an understanding of who I am, what I'm saying, and why. thank you kindly.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ing-apparently
    If this isn't a requirement I would like to gladly decline!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well if you decline, don't blindly assume stuff when the answers are there. :P He's an armchair reviewer that covers stuff in print and video so that's why you get all the commentary and discussion as he keeps up with stuff and will review things as he gets them.

As far as zapper support, I'd love to have it too, but there is a point in business where you hit a zero return level, and light guns would definitely be that because they'd never get their money back on making a bluetooth gun and coding it so it can detect the different ways various systems detect the signal from a pistol to register a hit or a miss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Well if you decline, don't blindly assume stuff when the answers are there. :P He's an armchair reviewer that covers stuff in print and video so that's why you get all the commentary and discussion as he keeps up with stuff and will review things as he gets them.
    I assumed nothing, I simply pointed out the humor in his posts, is there something you don't like about me pointing out the humor in his posts, are you getting hostile? Go drink a cup of tea, take a dump and relax man, no need to go jumping on somebody for a simple post, I'm just here to enjoy my hobby like you and him, I'm not here to fight and make enemies!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

mercuryshadow09, please don't take my comments as personal attacks or paid advertisements. They are nothing of the sort.

I am pro Ouya but only because I legitimately and honestly believe it to be an awesome option to go with. Your PC set up isn't something that I would want to do, so for me, the Ouya is the perfect little solution.

You keep saying that you think it's funny that I have mentioned the Ouya so frequently as of late, but you're the only person who seems to think that. Once again the Ouya is simply my current preferred method of playing retro games on my HDTV. The reason is as simple as the set up. All there is to it is to turn it on, grab a controller and play its emulators that are all flawless. As such, when I buy a RetroN5, my review will carry a heavy comparison with the Ouya, especially in terms of emulator performance.

As for "features sell" argument, with all due respect, I'm a journalist with a background in marketing.

"Exclusive features sell" as a marketing campaign only works when you can directly compare one product against another. You bought an Xbox over the PS2. The Xbox's custom soundtracks was a selling feature one had that the other did not, and that's why you bought the Xbox.

In this case though, Hyperkin is smartly creating a market all to themselves, just as Nintendo did with the Wii. Sure, on paper, the Wii was competing against the Sony PS3 and Microsoft Xbox 360, but they crafted their marketing plan to segment themselves apart from a three way race that ultimately became a two way race and then Nintendo by themselves. This is how Nintendo was able to reach such success with what was largely inferior hardware compared to the compition, and why they are struggling now with the WiiU as it's in the same boat as the competition now.

When companies create their own market, they create a monopoly dominance in their niche, and that's what Hyperkin is doing with the RetroN5. It's not competing directly against Retro-Bit and their Super Retro Trio hardware clone, and it's not committing against existing microconsoles either. Instead, the RetroN5 will be a market all of it's own.

As such, Hyperkin is in a position to offer whatever features they want and dictate terms of the consumer as opposed to being trapped in fierce marketing and trying every little trick to win over customers, like Sony and Microsoft did in the PS2 vs Xbox marketing you spoke of. They could offer rom dumping, but they don't have to because that's not a system selling feature nor is it something that anyone else could even potentially offer.

With that said, do you see the err in what you are saying?

If this isn't a requirement I would like to gladly decline!
    If you don't wish to understand where I'm coming from and the long history of this topic, then you cannot hide behind ignorance as an excuse for your attacks against me. I'm not here to defend Hyperkin. All I'm after is objective truths. As you say you're a newbie, it would do you well to read the RetroN5 is a thing apparently thread to get an understanding of how the digitalpress community has reached its feelings towards the RetroN5, and also how many of the less vocal members feel about it. Mine is a repeating voice, but it's just one of many.

Thanks. "armchair reviewer" huh? haha maybe I should use that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay man I'm over it, is it customary to beat dead horses here? Like I said, I'm the new guy, I've never been to this site before yesterday, the humor factor from the eyes of somebody who's never been here obviously went right over ever-bodies head, good day!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I assumed nothing, I simply pointed out the humor in his posts, is there something you don't like about me pointing out the humor in his posts, are you getting hostile? Go drink a cup of tea, take a dump and relax man, no need to go jumping on somebody for a simple post, I'm just here to enjoy my hobby like you and him, I'm not here to fight and make enemies!
    Funny you should mention that. I do have a cup of tea and just got back from the other. Your humor isn't coming off as humor but more just snark or rude and I'm sure it wasn't intended, but the internet sucks as you just see a response in text and no visual (face or other) intent behind it.

Satoshi, go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny you should mention that. I do have a cup of tea and just got back from the other. Your humor isn't coming off as humor but more just snark or rude and I'm sure it wasn't intended, but the internet sucks as you just see a response in text and no visual (face or other) intent behind it.

Satoshi, go for it.
    Like I said man I'm here for the same reason as you, to enjoy my hobby and hopefully make friends, not enemies, I did my time in the military and suffer enough from that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't wish to understand where I'm coming from and the long history of this topic, then you cannot hide behind ignorance as an excuse for your attacks against me.
    So now I attacked you? Guy, you are delusional if you think I attacked you, like I said, I SIMPLY THOUGHT IT WAS HUMOROUS! Are you not comprehending this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it looks like you will be able to save to the RetroN5 or the cartridge!

Here is a link to the video I got the screen cap from, Hyperkin posted it on their Facebook page today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0-N...&feature=share

https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames