Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1502

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That website is apparently run by Hyperkin itself, or some officially licensed company. Taxes are surely one part of the issue, but I'm pretty sure that the retrogaming fad + vídeo games seen as a "premium" product here (remember the R $ 4k PS4) also play a role on that ridiculous price.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    Tanooki, sorry to hear your Retron5 crapped out. After reports of broken firmware on launch, followed by broken systems, followed by stolen emulators, I decided it wasn't for me.

Special shoutout to Tanooki and Satoshi for beta testing the thing so that I don't have too!

In all seriousness, haven't been following much lately. Tanooki, I hope you get yours repaired or whatever. Satoshi, enjoy your system...
    You're late to the show I've got one, oddly enough it morphed into a black retron5, but I do have one and it only took 2 months of stupid screwups and factory broken units. I played some butched SNES Wolfenstein on it today. It's so bad, it's good, like a rubber monster movie from Japan.

Haha HDMI NES, has he decided which decade he'll be releasing that in and what price? That thing has seen more delays than Rare releases on the N64 back in the day.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-03-2014 at 10:12 PM.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You're late to the show I've got one, oddly enough it morphed into a black retron5, but I do have one and it only took 2 months of stupid screwups and factory broken units. I played some butched SNES Wolfenstein on it today. It's so bad, it's good, like a rubber monster movie from Japan.

Haha HDMI NES, has he decided which decade he'll be releasing that in and what price? That thing has seen more delays than Rare releases on the N64 back in the day.
    Glad to hear you finally got one that worked. I believe the HDMI NES will be in the $150-$160 ballpark. And it will work with 100% of NES and Famicom games and peripherals. No CRC checks, stolen EMU cores, or other nonsense.

No hard feelings to the people at NA I hope. Brian also makes some of the best NES stuff on the planet.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    Last but not least I cant play pal copies of Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles.
    What happens on these two?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    What happens on these two?
    Stack them together and you get a game so packed with awesomeness it will blow yer mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have no issue with Brian or various people who were supportive over at that site but the site itself and the mismanagement clique nature of it and key staff I have a problem with and I'm over it too. The only value the site has anymore is looking up technical stuff since the immature politics still seem to stay out of that. It has been pretty nice not having to be told I'm evil for various stuff they uniquely bash, shut down and ban over that rational people wouldn't care about.

You're right he makes solid stuff, I still have his Kid Dracula and Gradius II carts. I just just making the pity laugh there since it seems to be eternally slow to develop or delayed, whatever is going on there.

Yesterday I used the R5 a bit to play around with the so bad it's good mutilated game of Wolfenstein 3D. I get the nazis, but removing the dogs for giant mutant rats? It's so widely different and none of the stages are in the PC, plus thankfully it has a map, so it's actually quite fun despite the bad rap. It's like a good Japanese rubber monster movie, crappy but so bad that it's fun to watch and re-watch.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I just received an R5 as a gift, yesterday. Today, after testing (or attempting to test) some Famicom games after installing the latest update, the Famicom port is refusing to read any games, even ones that booted up successfully the day before. I have noticed that the games have been coming out of the slot very easily now, whereas they weren't before. Think the pins have gotten too loose to run the games? Any idea what can I do about this?

Interestingly enough, I pulled out an old Fami-to-NES converter I had and tested Fami games in the NES slot. Without fail, all of them are loading up perfectly.

Also, it seems that my SNES port is now giving me the same issues as the Famicom port.
    Last edited by Dire 51; 11-04-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Could be one of the minority of first run units with the sloppy pins which is annoyingly supposedly why they're upping the price for better parts.

I'd take a good look in the slot and see if anything looks bent or pressed flatter than it should be. If it is, get a safety pin and try and bend the things back towards center a bit more to add some tightness to it. I've never really heard about looseness only complaining about it being too tight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has there been any word on what the two empty cart slots on the mainboard where going to be used for?

Also lack of any chatter on GBA cheats makes me sad too FoxHack
    zomg I have a sig

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Could be one of the minority of first run units with the sloppy pins which is annoyingly supposedly why they're upping the price for better parts.

I'd take a good look in the slot and see if anything looks bent or pressed flatter than it should be. If it is, get a safety pin and try and bend the things back towards center a bit more to add some tightness to it. I've never really heard about looseness only complaining about it being too tight.
    I checked, and everything looks fine. I contacted Hyperkin's support line and they told me to do a complete factory reset, as shown here. I suppose there's a possibility that installing the update might have caused problems, but has that ever been confirmed to happen before?
    Last edited by Dire 51; 11-04-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe maybe not. The original R5 I had before it went through all the failure fun initially worked with SMB2, but somewhere around the 1.3-1.5 updates the game decided to up and not be read at all by the system when it's in the slot but it did work in the early days. I think if you have a fubar enough bit of code somewhere in there it can make a cart act like it's not in the slot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no issue with Brian or various people who were supportive over at that site but the site itself and the mismanagement clique nature of it and key staff I have a problem with and I'm over it too. The only value the site has anymore is looking up technical stuff since the immature politics still seem to stay out of that. It has been pretty nice not having to be told I'm evil for various stuff they uniquely bash, shut down and ban over that rational people wouldn't care about.
    Just yesterday NA deletd a tread I started concerning a problem I had with the majority of repro makers using the Official Seal of Quality and other official logos like the ESRB inappropriately. Not so much of a warning or explaination at all, just the entire thread vanished.
    http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...-and-ESRB-logo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

More of the usual there, if it's not pro-big spender collector, pro-hypocritical support of the warez(repros) and homebrews they like, and the creation of stuff so tacky you can't confuse it for original, it's taboo, erased, or if you're lucky - banned. That's why there's so much love for there on various other gaming sites because if you're not neck deep into that stuff or VGAs ass you're in trouble eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey I just noticed something I feel kind of bad about not realizing it a couple weeks ago.

That black Retron 5 I got, it's the new $20 more expensive new version of the hardware. This thing is solidly built! The top part that used to flex under the slightest pressure is now rigid like the rest of the frame. The system also has rubber caps that go into the ports on both sides of the system to keep those safe in transit and dust out of the things otherwise. The pins on them seem to be of nicer stock too from what I can tell, but I also didn't have bad ones either. It started out firm like a new legit period system, no death grip as people have noted. I know the $20 price hike was a crap stunt to pull, but it appears they've addressed the flimsiness issues with the system design flaws/issues on those aspects.

If you're in the market, buy one locally and pull it out of the box and give the top a push and look for the rubber caps, if it is that way, you got a winner.

By the way is there any trick to loading IPS files? I found a spare SD card I had no idea I had in my wallet of all things so I figured I'd park some fixes (CV2 retranslation w/map) and some Japanese to English patches for my famicom junk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey I just noticed something I feel kind of bad about not realizing it a couple weeks ago.

That black Retron 5 I got, it's the new $20 more expensive new version of the hardware. This thing is solidly built! The top part that used to flex under the slightest pressure is now rigid like the rest of the frame. The system also has rubber caps that go into the ports on both sides of the system to keep those safe in transit and dust out of the things otherwise. The pins on them seem to be of nicer stock too from what I can tell, but I also didn't have bad ones either. It started out firm like a new legit period system, no death grip as people have noted. I know the $20 price hike was a crap stunt to pull, but it appears they've addressed the flimsiness issues with the system design flaws/issues on those aspects.

If you're in the market, buy one locally and pull it out of the box and give the top a push and look for the rubber caps, if it is that way, you got a winner.

By the way is there any trick to loading IPS files? I found a spare SD card I had no idea I had in my wallet of all things so I figured I'd park some fixes (CV2 retranslation w/map) and some Japanese to English patches for my famicom junk.
    My local Game-X-Change has them for $139.99. Ayway to tell if tey are the improved or the old versions without opening the box?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Possibly but don't hold me to the following.

Check the size of the box. The black one I got compared to the launch gray it's slightly less wide and as a result the lettering on the back is changed a bit to fit the smaller area. I still think the best thing if it's in person is to see if someone will let you open the box and put a finger on the glossy top because if it doesn't bend, you're a winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I hope this works.
    https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B...DdQb1p5TTEtM00

There's some images of what is useful, and bad news I don't have the older different box, I must have sent that one back to them. There's 5 images there showing the new bottom label, the back with the pinhole cover, the controller ports with the rubber caps, pushing down really hard on the formerly flimsy top, and the differing paperwork/stickers they included in this box compared to the original one (manual has their hippo mascot on back too, old didn't.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Has anyone gotten the E-Reader levels for Super Mario Bros. 3 going on the Retron 5? Obviously you can't interface an E-Reader, but I'm talking about something like dumping your own cart and save file with the levels already unlocked.

One of you kindly offered to upload them to my own GBA cartridge, an offer I might still take you up on one of these days (Although I suspect a GBA Everdrive will give me access on real hardware), but it would be nice to see a Retron 5 save file of the game being uploaded if that's all it takes.

Not only could you access this material here, but you could upload the data with the E-Reader information back onto your cartridge if you so desired.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-12-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Has anyone gotten the E-Reader levels for Super Mario Bros. 3 going on the Retron 5? Obviously you can't interface an E-Reader, but I'm talking about something like dumping your own cart and save file with the levels already unlocked.

One of you kindly offered to upload them to my own GBA cartridge, an offer I might still take you up on one of these days, but it would be nice to see a Retron 5 save file of the game being uploaded if that's all it takes.

Not only could you access this material here, but you could upload the data back onto your cartridge if you so desired.
    I think Retrode also works as well for copying saves, with correct adapter. I have a Retrode and a SMA4 but unfortunately I don't have an e-Reader.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Anything new with the Retron 5's? Any new updates/issues being worked on?