Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow that doesn't sound so bad after all Satoshi.

I guess I'd have to plug my nexus 7 into the computer, find where the games I paid for APK files are on there, and grab those, dump to the PC, pop the Ouya on there and copy back to a specific directory for files and if it works (controller issues) it works. I don't have a lot of games, but about 1/2 of them or more support the Moga or HID bluetooth controllers so that's why I asked.

I don't think your bold prediction is too far off the mark, they need to find a way to catch back up with Amazon and the others butting in on their territory.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryshadow09 View Post
    CoinOps has awesome light gun support on Xbox for one can you use a light gun on the Ouya?
    Lightguns are dead in the HDTV era. If you want, Wiimotes can emulate a lightgun on Wii brew emulators (point at the screen and shoot; your cursor needs to line up with the target; hard to aim without one), but it's not the same as using a real light gun and real CRT screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Einzelherz View Post
    It's easier to use original controllers on the Retron, which is important for some.
    Easier yes, but the difference is very slight. The Ouya's got a single USB port, so if you don't have external storage, you can just plug in pretty much any USB controller or controller adapter. As I've said many times, I very often use a SNES to USB adapter and then use an authentic SNES controller to play most of the emulators on the Ouya and some of the Ouya games too. The emulators let you map the SNES controller however you want, and create custom controller profiles. An SNES controller works especially well for:

GameBoy
    GameBoy Color
    GameBoy Advance
    NES
    Master System
    PC Engine
    SNES (of course)
    Neo-Geo Pocket
    Mame

You can also use a great variety of blutooth controllers like the Sony DualShock 3 (PS3 controller) on it. Sure, the RetroN5 will have all the plugs just there ready for your controllers, but it will ultimately be limited to the NES, SNES, Genesis and RetroN5 controller standards. None of the open source stuff the Ouya has. (at least until it gets hacked to do so)

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    The question is - are using original controllers worth the money? Personally I haven't had a lick of problem using the ouya controller...I gotta try the PS3 controller with it, I hear that it works great on the ouya.
    I don't mind using the Ouya controller, but I prefer to use an SNES controller when given the choice. You should try hooking up a PS3 controller to your Ouya. You can do so wired or wirelessly. the PS3 controller also works wonderfully on the Ouya. So does a wired Xbox 360 controller if that's more your thing.

a. Can you use a light gun on the Ouya?
    b. Colecovision?
    c. Atari 7800?
    d. Sega CD?
    e. 32X?
    f. Odyssey?
    g. Lynx?
    a. Well, its for HDTVs. Of course there's no lightgun support. Lightguns don't work on HDTVs.
    b. I'm not sure. I have no real nostalgia for Colecovision so even if there is one I didn't download it.
    c. Again I'm not sure. Maybe, but probably not. Not many people give two shits about the 7800 due to its tiny library and how it was completely outclassed by both Sega and Nintendo.
    d. Yes, Sega CD is on Ouya and plays great.
    e. Yes, the tiny library of 32X games are also there.
    f. I doubt it.
    g. Nope, probably not.

The Xbox homebrew is more diverse yes, but the original Xbox homebrew scene has been around for......twelve years? Compared to the Ouya's.....10 months? I think you gotta look at things in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    Subbed. Love your vids. Great voice and I can tell you really enjoy doing this, which shows through well and makes watching them that much more enjoyable.
    Hey thanks man. Always nice to see people on forums also on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Wow that doesn't sound so bad after all Satoshi.

I guess I'd have to plug my nexus 7 into the computer, find where the games I paid for APK files are on there, and grab those, dump to the PC, pop the Ouya on there and copy back to a specific directory for files and if it works (controller issues) it works. I don't have a lot of games, but about 1/2 of them or more support the Moga or HID bluetooth controllers so that's why I asked.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you have that you want to play on Ouya? If you want, shoot me an email with the apks and I'll give you a report on what happens on Ouya. email satoshimatrix at hotmail.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I don't think your bold prediction is too far off the mark, they need to find a way to catch back up with Amazon and the others butting in on their territory.
    There are a lot of copycats flooding the microconsole market, but it's not about having the most powerful hardware. It's about the games and the apps. I highly doubt that Amazon's FireTV will be open source with a sign that says "please hack me" on it like the Ouya does. Sure, they can throw a bunch of money at it, but even on the current Ouya, I'm usually never thinking "gee, this system would be better if it were double the specs".

If I want to play modern style games, I'd play my PS3 or something. To me, the Ouya is to do everything that I can't do on the others - play mkv movies and anime I torrented, emulators that are officially endorsed, watch youtube with a clean interface that doesn't require me to do install extra junk, and play beautiful 2D games on my TV that were mostly intended for the mobile market - the last refuge of retro gaming from modern devs.

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    Lightguns are dead in the HDTV era. If you want, Wiimotes can emulate a lightgun on Wii brew emulators (point at the screen and shoot; your cursor needs to line up with the target; hard to aim without one), but it's not the same as using a real light gun and real CRT screen.
    Yeah, lightgun games are mostly a dead genre. That's why sales of all the wii lightgun games were poor when they came to the PS3, even though the Move is superior to the Wiimote and the games are also in proper HD. It would be nice if they were more popular, but the reason nobody has done anything isn't because it can't be done, but because there's no market for them.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii, PS3 and 360 light guns suck IMHO, I have a 36" CRT and my Xbox is full of console and arcade light gun games, it can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    What? What does the original Xbox run that the Ouya doesn't? Aside from Xbox and DOS, the Ouya runs everything that's on the Xbox, which is why the Ouya has replaced the Xbox as my emulation box of choice. I keep one around because CoinOps is still absolutely awesome, but the Ouya's got it outclassed in hardware and in capability.
    The Xbox homebrew is more diverse yes, but the original Xbox homebrew scene has been around for......twelve years? Compared to the Ouya's.....10 months? I think you gotta look at things in perspective.

So I will reiterate what I said.

I prefer the bigger selection of emulators the original Xbox runs.
    I like light gun games and so far there is nothing comparable to the Xbox for light gun emulation, the Xbox light gun can be used for like I said CoinOps and any of the light gun games for the other emulators.
    Last edited by mercuryshadow09; 04-27-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

To add to the Ouya talk, games are now trickling in with no demo and even some older titles like Towerfall have had their demos yanked.

I didn't think the devs would retroactively do that. Dang.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ouya is definitely more powerful than Xbox, so anything the Xbox can do, Ouya can do better, save for maybe large disc games.

There are a lot of copycats flooding the microconsole market, but it's not about having the most powerful hardware. It's about the games and the apps. I highly doubt that Amazon's FireTV will be open source with a sign that says "please hack me" on it like the Ouya does. Sure, they can throw a bunch of money at it, but even on the current Ouya, I'm usually never thinking "gee, this system would be better if it were double the specs".
    Ouya is the first to market, and the market for microconsoles is not that large. Ouya was built from the ground up to be a niche product, so I think it and other microconsoles can survive even with a fraction of the sales from offerings of the "big 3".

Yeah, lightgun games are mostly a dead genre. That's why sales of all the wii lightgun games were poor when they came to the PS3, even though the Move is superior to the Wiimote and the games are also in proper HD. It would be nice if they were more popular, but the reason nobody has done anything isn't because it can't be done, but because there's no market for them.
    Lightgun games may have been a bit of a novelty back in the day, and I was a little disappointed that the Wii did little to popularize this dying genre, save for maybe the target shoot mini game in Wii play among a few others. Chicken shoot was a budget shovelware title, but as a fan of light gun games, I bought the game and had fun with it. Mostly the Wiimotes have been used more as a pointing device or mouse substitue rather as a gun type device. I'm not a fan of FPS, but many are and the Wiimote would have been the perfect tool. Likely due to patent technology, PS Move and MS Kinect work differently from the Wiimote. The copycats place the camera in front of the TV and the emitter in the controller, requiring broad sweeping movements to register. Wiimote has the emitter in front of the TV and an IR camera in the controller, allowing for twitch-like movements that cannot be easily replicated using the competitors control scheme.

The real reason why light gun games are dead is not because of disinterest but because the technology required for it to work made the lightgun obsolete. Yes, the Wiimote had the capacity to replace the required CRT tech, but this capacity remained largely unfulfilled. Still, assuming people want to use lightgun emulation on a modern TV, there is no better suited controller than the Wiimote. Support in Ouya emulators would require a cursor and a power source for the Wiimote sensor bar. Wiibrew makes even more sense. I have not attempted syncing my Wiimotes with Ouya nor have I attempted to install homebrew on my Wii, even though I've since transfered all my eShop software to the Wii-U. I don't believe in jumping through hoops to sideload or softmod my consoles just to run homebrew, which is one reason why I supported the Ouya. I knew if the console failed, hackers would come to the rescue using it's built in dev settings. Ouya is doing just fine, and for that I am happy for them.

Thing is, much as some people don't like fumbling around with carts, I find it a pain to fumble around with ROMs, which is why I haven't done much with trying to run emulators on my Ouya, even though I downloaded most of them. I own flashcarts for Atari, NES, SNES, Genny, and TG-16, but I mostly use them to run homebrew games that aren't available on carts, or to play "unobtainable" games in the $100, $200 & up price range, like Earthbound. Dowloading and arranging 1000s of ROMs into folders on a PC just to copy them over to a flash cart or other device, is a pain-and-a-half, and it totally kills the "thrill of the hunt" in going out and collecting games. Game carts are cherished pieces of history that deserve to be played rather than sit on a shelf. ROMs are worthless except from a data preservation and archival perspective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm not surprised Ouya couldn't keep up the must have a freebie mantra. It was nice PR, but if they want to keep the huge console level fish around, they'll need to kiss some butt and not having to pony up freebies helps.

Satoshi, sent an email, I don't have a lot of stuff. I did list a couple SNK games, may get more, and DotEmu is another I think probably should be supported too since theyre pro bluetooth gamepad. I agree it doesn't need to be huge, but it should at least try and have a huge in store presence and a solid price versus parts or Amazon will bury them with their standout displays loaded already with kindles and fire tablets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The real reason why light gun games are dead is not because of disinterest but because the technology required for it to work made the lightgun obsolete.
    I have to disagree, if you compare the light gun craze and end to the Columbine school shooting you will see the parallel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to disagree, if you compare the light gun craze and end to the Columbine school shooting you will see the parallel.
    Columbine? Really? Chill out, dude...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What am I talking with a bunch of teenagers? Yes Columbine. Why are you telling me to "Chill out, dude"?

"Light guns were suppressed for a time in the U.S. after the 1999 Columbine High School massacre and its attendant controversy over video games and gun crime.[36] Since the late 1980s light gun controllers have been generally manufactured to look like toys by painting them in bright colours. In Japan, which lacks the gun crime found in the U.S. and in which civilians cannot legally own guns, more realistic light guns are widely available."

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Light_gun
    Last edited by mercuryshadow09; 04-27-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What am I talking with a bunch of teenagers? Yes Columbine. Why are you telling me to "Chill out, dude"?

"Light guns were suppressed for a time in the U.S. after the 1999 Columbine High School massacre and its attendant controversy over video games and gun crime.[36] Since the late 1980s light gun controllers have been generally manufactured to look like toys by painting them in bright colours. In Japan, which lacks the gun crime found in the U.S. and in which civilians cannot legally own guns, more realistic light guns are widely available."

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Light_gun
    I am not a teen. I was a senior in high school when Columbine happened. Terrible. I was like "what if it happened in my school and if it had been my classmates killed?" It was unheard of then, now it's every few months we hear news of people getting shot up in mass shootings.

When I was a little kid in the 80s, my cousin gave me a jet black water pistol shaped like an AK-47. Had so much fun with that thing. This was a couple years before the bright, colorful, and far more powerful "Super Soakers" came out. And yes, I game with a original NES gray, not orange wannabe Zapper. I'd love to own a Famicom Blaster, though I'd have to rewire it or make an adapter to work on my NES. Blasting 8-bit ducks is fun; innocent school children, not so much. I have zero desire to own a real firearm. Less idiots with guns = less shootings. Period.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-27-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

What am I talking with a bunch of teenagers?
    Very few of the regular posters here are teenagers, or even below the age of 21. "Ur a teeny, lol" isn't going take you very far with this group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Very few of the regular posters here are teenagers, or even below the age of 21. "Ur a teeny, lol" isn't going take you very far with this group.
    You didn't quote my whole response, that comment was in reference to the "Chill out dude" comment, it wasn't that hard to figure out if you read my whole post!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You didn't quote my whole response, that comment was in reference to the "Chill out dude" comment, it wasn't that hard to figure out if you read my whole post!
    Didn't need the whole quote, just the needless insult.
    Calm down, friend.
    Maybe buy an Ouya and emulate some games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't need the whole quote, just the needless insult.
    Calm down, friend.
    Maybe buy an Ouya and emulate some games.
    Were you insulted by somebody else' conversation? Sorry friend I was talking to Stardust!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Were you insulted by somebody else' conversation? Sorry friend I was talking to Stardust!
    ............Can't tell if missing the point or purposely missing the point.
    Betting on the latter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

............Can't tell if missing the point or purposely missing the point.
    Betting on the latter.

Maybe you are purposely missing the point that it wasn't meant as an insult and it wasn't meant as an insult to you!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Maybe you are purposely missing the point that it wasn't meant as an insult and it wasn't meant as an insult to you!
    Oh, god, another one of those types.
    We really are becoming too much of a GameFAQs-Lite dumping ground. Gonna nip this one in the bud.

"Are you sure you want to add mercuryshadow09 to your ignore list?"
    Yes, DP forums, I'm sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Geeze, man stop picking fights already. You lost the argument. First you bring up columbine, which was totally off-color remark IMO, then you accuse me of being "teenager" for telling you to chill out, yet you won't stop until you have the last word. Jsoup backed me up and you go on a tirade with him. Humorous emoticons aside, who's the "teenager" now?

If you just want to troll, please, find another feeding trough. I'm done with you.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-28-2014 at 02:19 AM.