Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

*sigh*

First, there's a general rule against the practice of double posting. Don't do it. If you later have something to add before someone else replies, then edit your post rather than start a new one. It just ends up cluttering the thread.

Secondly, intentional or not, you're coming across as a jerk who is unwilling to fit in. Nobody thinks anything is funny. You're new, so learn. DP is a welcoming community and I personally welcome discussion and debate. I have no intention of fighting with you, but I will defend my points. Don't take that as a personal attack.

So please, let this be the end of it and let's get back on topic - the RetroN5. anything unrelated should not be posted.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

[double post created by database error]

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryshadow09 View Post
    So it looks like you will be able to save to the RetroN5 or the cartridge!

Here is a link to the video I got the screen cap from, Hyperkin posted it on their Facebook page today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0-N...&feature=share

https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames
    It also has an SD card slot in the back, I don't know if you can make out the SD card in the pic in the top right corner!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    *sigh*

First, there's a general rule against the practice of double posting. Don't do it.
    Was that a demonstration?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The ignore list came in handy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

obviously, digitalpress has been broken for most of the day. If I was able to on my own, I'd delete my duplicate post. That was not irony.

Half-man, half-amazing Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The NZA 2099
    PSN
    TheIrishNinja
    3DS Friend
    2062-9756-7502
    Steam
    The NZA

yeah, i know that backing up cart data is prolly a niche thing, but this is kind've a niche product...that's a really interesting turn of events right there. the ability to basically use this as a Dexter for all my cart games - back em all up, never worry about having to change batteries etc - in addition to ninja-dogging my way through a tough bit with savestates, only to export said save & go right back to my OG hardware adds a lotta diversity/functions to this thing for the price. it's starting to seem a good deal even for my weird/subjective list of wants.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post
    You know how many people have told me flash carts have no use? That they could just emulate for free? A lot. There have even been people who have told me that playing on the original hardware with original carts is useless when there are emulators. Its all subjective.
    god, i know i just said shit's subjective but what a weird stance to have, much less you to come across very often, ugh. on a related note: nice to meet you man, ive bookmarked a few of your site's flashcarts for a while now, just waiting ot pay some bills & save up a bit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No that was humorous unintended irony. Nice double post, even if the site caused it.

That video points out a great point most people don't realize is that you can lift and move save files between the system and a real game. It opens the door to a lot of fun little things. If a game has a solitary save and you do something stupid, you can go back and pull an old copy. If the game pisses you off or has some bug at X point, you can go dig up a save and load around that garbage and keep going. You can even grab a tweaked starting save file to have everyone cheaty buffed up like some game genie garbage would do. And of course as noted, works as a nice DexDrive substitute to save a lot of files into one spot so you can pull them as needed. Also I said it before, if you have a game with a broken battery, save/load states makes it playable again too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Looks like we're back now.

In my experience both online, in game stores and through my journalism, I've come to realize there are multiple schools of thought when it comes to retro gaming, and I think it's important to note that they are all valid, just for different people.

Original hardware only crowd:

Games need to be played on the original hardware with original controllers using a CRT, for the "authentic" experience. Nothing less than that is acceptable.

Original hardware only crowd + flashcarts crowd

A variation of the original hardware only, they insist games still be played on the original hardware, but are willing to use flashcarts so long as they work 1:1 with the original carts.

Clone crowd:
    They are okay with clones, and might even seek them out, and argue its the same thing since they are still playing their original carts.

Emulation crowd:

They believe that if a game can be emulated, then there are all kinds of advantages. Access to savestates, on the fly button remapping, video filters, and access to free games.

Pay-for-emulation crowd:

Are completely fine with Virtual Console/XBLA/PSN ports of older games. Argue it eliminates the need for a retro console since they could just play their old games on the system they use to play their new games.

Remakes only:

Refuse to play any game made before a certain threshold, usually citing ugly graphics or outdated gameplay. Phrase DuckTales Remastered, refuse to play DuckTales NES.

There are probably more, but these are the general groups I've come across. Personally I belong to many of these to some degree and understand every angle. But no matter what, there will be some people who are squarely in one of the categories and will refuse to see it from the others. As StoneAgeGamer pointed out, some people will never understand the point of flashcarts, some will reject the Virtual Console, others say owning physical copies of games is pointless, and there will be both defenders and opponents of the RetroN5 and devices like it.

No matter what happens, nobody will agree what's the best way to preserve the hobby.

Half-man, half-amazing Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The NZA 2099
    PSN
    TheIrishNinja
    3DS Friend
    2062-9756-7502
    Steam
    The NZA

^don't forget those of us who want OG hardware, but only RGB over an upscaler, on an HDTV (plasmas, hopefully low latency) and always clip the hangtabs off our sega clamshells.

we're not a large crowd, but we're a merry lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

So.....

Original Hardware + extremely expensive Upscalers on HDTVs crowd

I guess I hadn't considered that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    yeah, i know that backing up cart data is prolly a niche thing, but this is kind've a niche product...that's a really interesting turn of events right there. the ability to basically use this as a Dexter for all my cart games - back em all up, never worry about having to change batteries etc - in addition to ninja-dogging my way through a tough bit with savestates, only to export said save & go right back to my OG hardware adds a lotta diversity/functions to this thing for the price. it's starting to seem a good deal even for my weird/subjective list of wants.

god, i know i just said shit's subjective but what a weird stance to have, much less you to come across very often, ugh. on a related note: nice to meet you man, ive bookmarked a few of your site's flashcarts for a while now, just waiting ot pay some bills & save up a bit!
    I bought a Kazoo NES dumper and a Retrode and have most of my carts in storage relatively safe from wear. The Retron 3 barely supported the PowerPaks and EverDrive. My niche market is being smart enough to back your shizz up and lazy enough to not want 5 systems and 50 carts lying around. I hope the Retron 5 boys make flash carts a priority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

You must not have read through this thread. Given that the RetroN5 reads carts through rom headers and launches games by dumping them to rom, it's unlikely any flashcart for any of the systems supported will work with the RetroN5.

This goes back to what I was saying before. If your only reason for buying a RetroN5 is to play flashcarts, why don't you instead buy an Ouya? The Ouya is the same price, will run the same games via the same emulators and have the same kinds of features like allowing users to use OEM controllers, and the Ouya also does a whole bunch of other things as well, like run more advanced systems (N64, PS1, DS, PSP, etc) as well as media functionality and of course Ouya's own lineup of games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post

I bought a Kazoo NES dumper and a Retrode and have most of my carts in storage relatively safe from wear. The Retron 3 barely supported the PowerPaks and EverDrive. My niche market is being smart enough to back your shizz up and lazy enough to not want 5 systems and 50 carts lying around. I hope the Retron 5 boys make flash carts a priority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slobu View Post
    Better be careful here, they will slice you up and down for double posting!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not exactly a pillar of the community here but man, there are some people in this thread that are in serious danger of completely vanishing up their own asses.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheChristoph View Post
    I'm not exactly a pillar of the community here but man, there are some people in this thread that are in serious danger of completely vanishing up their own asses.
    Welcome to Digital Press.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

We need some serious moderation in this thread. The forums were broken for several days resulting in several unintentional double posts, and mercuryshadow09 needs to be taken aside and told to cool it with all the snarky remarks. We're a nice community; there's no call for you being such a jerk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah there needs to be I second that. I feel like I'm at another site I visit where snarky digs get ignored depending on who is doing it to other members which just spits in the face of community.

I miss Cartoon Orbit! Drclaw411's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drclaw411
    PSN
    Drclaw411

Hyperkin has announced that there will not be enough retron 5 units produced to meet day one demand.

http://www.the-gamers-lounge.com/rya...-from-hyperkin

They also mention that it will not be compatible with other Bluetooth controllers, but that the system can function as it's own multitap.