Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23636970717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1502

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah it all seems to be working. I did a factory reset of the machine with .22 and then installed 2.1 and then fast boot.

tested 3 or 4 NES games all worked. Figured ill try rest of systems this weekend.

SMB2J works...just comes up unknown for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's good, you have a version of SMB2j that uses mapper 0-4 being that it's a hack, or it uses one of those other high mappers that are installed into it. That game is very hit and miss on working.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomm1313 View Post
    it has screenshots and saves on it.
    I guess they don't bother testing them out before sending them out to customers, if they actually repair them before sending them out(I think they forgot to for Tanooki's systems). It's pretty sloppy to send them out like that with previous owners content still on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The one with the exposed wires was the same. I had snap shots, saves, and so on for every system the unit natively supports (so whatever minus SMS since I doubt they have a powerbase lying around.) It also was at firmware 1.5 and .22 application.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I guess they don't bother testing them out before sending them out to customers, if they actually repair them before sending them out(I think they forgot to for Tanooki's systems). It's pretty sloppy to send them out like that with previous owners content still on it.
    I'm not surprised, this company SCREAMS "sloppy". For the prices they charge (and want to increase) they should damn well do their due diligence when repairing or refurbing someone's machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It appears the slop is US based from what I've been made aware of and I'm curious to see how that's being dealt with now that it has been exposed with my story and I'm sure others as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Retron saga takes yet another twist but finally coming to an end.

Today I got my replacement for the one with the exposed wires. I was told I'd get a brand new total system in the box. That did not happen. I got a brand new box, the box for a black system (I had gray) and inside was just the papers and the black system only. I called them, woman was confused, I got a call back like 15min later from the guy who helped last time. Seems they ran out of gray systems to ship out for replacement so they just did the black one and the shipper didn't I guess realize the mistake. Now I get to hold onto gray a bit longer, they'll be mailing me a black controller, and when that arrives I'll just mail back the gray system box, gray system, gray controller, and I keep the rest. The black system when I fired it up was in fact brand new, booted up to the first time hello screen and the internal settings/storage were fresh and empty(no saves.)

I'm not upset about it, and that black one does not clash like gray, and it is stock with .22/1.31 firmware, so I put 2.0b6 on there for quick loading of games as I don't need the fluff 2.1 fixed. It took basically 2 months to finish, but it appears resolved so far. I need to really stress test it, and still SMB2 won't load but I've learned it's a general software failure of the system, some bug that got introduced with a specific (guessing 1.0, not 1.1) of SMB2 as many others report it doing the same. I threw in Akamajyou Densetsu and it was cool, still need to toss some SNES and GBA games in to round it out but I'm not concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

so what you're saying is, that there was nothing at all wrong with at least two of the previous retron5 systems you had.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No, I didn't say that.

Original system SMB2 dead and Gargoyle's Quest 2 wouldn't load without putting up a fight as the slot as starting to fail being touchy to load games. Second system arrived DOA inside, beat up on the outside with a partly damaged click stick controller. Third system was factory defective, the wiring for the famicom game cart slot was installed over the slot the game goes into, not under the board, yet that one did load up Gargoyles Quest 2 just fine.

I'm on #4 now, and this black system seems fine the very little I've thrown at it, my kid was up and I hadn't the time or ability to properly run games through it yet.

SMB2 it appears has become an increasing problem, one version works, one version doesn't, and they don't have the broken cart handy in HK to run a comparison of the two releases to see why the hell it's not wanting to work on v1.31 and later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

lol going through four Retron5s. The one I got has no issues. Maybe you just have bad luck?

Then again, I bought an Xbox 360 shortly after it launched in 2005 and it's never once had the red ring. To this day I can fire that up and it works just fine. Meanwhile I've had friends go through several.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nah it wasn't me, is was their incompetence. I should have just had one swap and been done. You definitely got lucky with the launch 360, supposedly I think it was figured around 40% of those failed in time.

Edit -- I tried out DOOM, Wolfenstein 3D and my very rare Qwak aftermarket homebrew cart along with FF6A -- no issues copied to system, save copied back to carts, all solid. Wild Guns on SNES was fine, and NES SMB1, Kirby and Gargoyles Quest 2 with no issue. I think this should work out fine, probably could test chipped SNES games still but I've had my fill for now.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 10-20-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    lol going through four Retron5s. The one I got has no issues. Maybe you just have bad luck?
    I'm not sure why you're laughing at Tanooki, with all the posts you cried in about your pre-ordered unit not getting shipped when you wanted it to. You of all people should be able to sympathize with him.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I'm not sure why you're laughing at Tanooki, with all the posts you cried in about your pre-ordered unit not getting shipped when you wanted it to. You of all people should be able to sympathize with him.
    Give it some time. His console isn't as old/used as Tanooki's when it crapped out. It could still happen in a few months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well it would be some ironic justice if it did eat it, especially since it could take him months to get another. The US office is pretty bad at getting things right the first and even second time, somewhat the third too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has there been any mention on when and or if we're getting GBA cheats?

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tanooki, sorry to hear your Retron5 crapped out. After reports of broken firmware on launch, followed by broken systems, followed by stolen emulators, I decided it wasn't for me.

Special shoutout to Tanooki and Satoshi for beta testing the thing so that I don't have too!

In all seriousness, haven't been following much lately. Tanooki, I hope you get yours repaired or whatever. Satoshi, enjoy your system...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been giving my Retron 5 a real play testing and have come to the conclusion that it's an impressive bit of kit for American gamers, PAL gamers on the other hand, meh.

Terrangmia PAL has crapped out audio until the region is switched back to an NTSC region post boot, the cheats database pretty much has nothing for PAL games outside of the SMS. Last but not least I cant play pal copies of Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    I've been giving my Retron 5 a real play testing and have come to the conclusion that it's an impressive bit of kit for American gamers, PAL gamers on the other hand, meh.

Terrangmia PAL has crapped out audio until the region is switched back to an NTSC region post boot, the cheats database pretty much has nothing for PAL games outside of the SMS. Last but not least I cant play pal copies of Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles.
    And that's the main problem with this system. Because the emulator relies on CRC hashes to detect games, a large number of uncommon/obscure/imports/variants are going to get overlooked and have issues or downright not work as advertised. And that's saying nothing of the myriad of homebrews, hacks, repros, and pirates thrown into the mix. Retron5 has made great progress in adding support for previously unsupported games, but it will never be 100%.

I wish Hyperkin could have just gone the FPGA route and created a multi-in-one console that used FPGA cores instead, which could actually emulate the cartridge bus itself in realtime, boasting 100% compatability. Since an FPGA can be reflashed on the fly to support multiple consoles, they could keep costs down by not needing a separate SOAC for each system. And firmware updates could easily be provided for any hardware issues that come up, unlike traditional clones.

I for one, am super exited about the upcoming HDMI NES by Brian aka BunnyBoy at RetroUSB. I hope someday a non-infringing multi-sytem HD FPGA eventually comes out, with real controller/cartrige support for SNES, Genny, hell even Atari 2600/7800. No crappy stolen emulators or cart dumping needed...

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fun little fact: there's a website (hypermega.com.br) selling this thing here in Brazil for - I kid you not - 899,90 goddamn (brazilian) bucks!!
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thom_m View Post
    Fun little fact: there's a website (hypermega.com.br) selling this thing here in Brazil for - I kid you not - 899,90 goddamn (brazilian) bucks!!
    Which translates to $360.62 USD. Not surprising they gave it a more than 2x markup considering the insane import fees over there are often more than what the product is worth. No wonder there is so much bootlegging going on there...