Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I'm sure whoever PR person wrote that thinks he's extremely clever and can totally justify those four years spent in pursuit of a marketing degree. ...We should all just ignore that person.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post
    You can not have multiple carts in at the same time, if you do it does throw an error. This is one issue I do have with the system. Is it a deal breaking issue? No, but it could potentially be annoying.

I will have to try out controllers. I know I have had NES controller plugged in while using the wireless and I could switch back and forth and that didn't seem to be an issue, but I have not tried with multiple controllers and using a different system's controller on second player and stuff like that.
    I wonder what it would do if you had SMB3 NES and SMB3 Famicom in at the same time. I wonder if its smart enough to realize its the same thing or if you get the same error

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I wonder what it would do if you had SMB3 NES and SMB3 Famicom in at the same time. I wonder if its smart enough to realize its the same thing or if you get the same error
    Not to be overly anal, but SMB3 is slightly different on the Famicom as taking a hit with a Raccoon Leaf, Frog Suit, Hammer Head Suit, etc. will shrink you down to small Mario while the NES version leaves you as big Mario sans suit.

To me the real question would be is the RetroN5 smart enough to correct Gyromite's title screen. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drclaw411 View Post
    "Calling all trolls! Come take your "constructive" comments and say it to our faces. Ask everything you ever wanted to ask; we dare you to ask for a release date. Take a picture with our red hippo. Talk smack on high school students while begging for a RetroN 5. Play us in a round of retro gaming - just don't be a noob. But above all else, give yourself a reason to come out of that garage or your mom's basement. Oh, and please, take a shower first."

Looks like Hyperkin is getting a tad butthurt lol

http://hyperkin.com/showlist
    Wow. I'd fire the sh*t out of the PR guy who wrote that if I was a higher up in Hyperkin. Why be so unnecessarily confrontational and insulting? The last sophomoric stab's regurgitation of gamer/geek stereotypes, which, I imagine, would be the target demographic for the RetroN5, was very poorly thought out. It's like a new hip coffee shop bashing hipsters- so, so stupid.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

"Calling all trolls! Come take your "constructive" comments and say it to our faces. Ask everything you ever wanted to ask; we dare you to ask for a release date. Take a picture with our red hippo. Talk smack on high school students while begging for a RetroN 5. Play us in a round of retro gaming - just don't be a noob. But above all else, give yourself a reason to come out of that garage or your mom's basement. Oh, and please, take a shower first."

Looks like Hyperkin is getting a tad butthurt lol

http://hyperkin.com/showlist
    Wow! That was so insulting. There are nerds who fit these stereotypes, but why insult the people who want to buy your product with negative stereotypes? I guess they figure that they can get away with it since we're going to buy their product anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

hence why we should ignore that person. I don't really see it as insulting, but just juvenile and stupid. It's pretty much the equivalent of a 12 year old on facebook saying "neener neener neener I'm a cool kid! You are all losers!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    hence why we should ignore that person. I don't really see it as insulting, but just juvenile and stupid. It's pretty much the equivalent of a 12 year old on facebook saying "neener neener neener I'm a cool kid! You are all losers!"
    Reminds me of the old Game.com commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp460zM_PGA
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I'm gathering that by the shape of the Genesis/MD slot, the RetroN 5 isn't going to be able to play Japanese Mega Drive carts. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Insert Coin (Level 0) ggallegos1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4811-7358-8350

From what they are saying it will, but then again who knows. I've been following this product and preordered it for a long time now, so i am hoping it will turn out for the best.

Review from SXSW:
    http://segabits.com/blog/2014/03/11/...-the-retron-5/

Take note of the screen issues with Super Mario World 2. Hopefully this gets ironed out before shipment

I miss Cartoon Orbit! Drclaw411's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drclaw411
    PSN
    Drclaw411

Looks like it's officially vaporware...

Retron 5 has been delayed again, this time due to "bad firmware updates". Apparently they are unsure IF or when the issue will be corrected and the system will be released. It really did turn out to be vaporware....wow...

Info: http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...hreadid=119673

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Don't be overdramatic. A firmware issue delay doesn't mean the system will end up as vaporware. Most vaporware is just announcements, no actual product ever shown, much less sent to people in a beta phase. I'm sure Hyperkin will do all they can to resolve the problem as quickly as they can. Also, linking to NintendoAge is always a bad idea. Those guys are elitists and overreact to everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like it's officially vaporware...

Retron 5 has been delayed again, this time due to "bad firmware updates". Apparently they are unsure IF or when the issue will be corrected and the system will be released. It really did turn out to be vaporware....wow...

Info: http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...hreadid=119673

Do you know how much the molds cost for something like this? Do you realize how much development and engineering they put into this already? If this turned out to be vaporware it would essentially put them out of business most likely. Hyperkin is not that big of a company. The only way this would become vaporware is if Hyperkin goes out of business before it comes out for some reason.

P.S. I am not defending the delays, but this is a complete overreaction.
    Last edited by StoneAgeGamer; 03-17-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

How is it vapor ware when we have seen fully functional units already?

Insert Coin (Level 0) ggallegos1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4811-7358-8350

definitely not vaporware, but I haven't seen this many product delays for a third-party system in my life. this either works flawlessly, or ends with expectations being too high as it is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Right, The guy is an overreacting NintendoAge member. I posted there for years, but never saw many people with level heads. Those guys overreact to everything. So as I said at the top, don't be so overdramatic.

Anyway.

StoneAgeGamer, can you please answer the question Dire 51 had on the last page? he asked:

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    [IMG]
    I'm gathering that by the shape of the Genesis/MD slot, the RetroN 5 isn't going to be able to play Japanese Mega Drive carts. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drclaw411
    PSN
    Drclaw411

Well, you guys were right. I was an overreacting dumbass who got caught up in the nintendoage thread and posted before I knew what I was talking about. I'm an ass today.

Hyperkin has confirmed that the report on a firmware problem is false and the system is still on track for release next month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

That's big of you to admit your fault. Lots of people would try to blindly defend their position to the bitter end.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the firmware rumor was false, but that leaves me to wonder about two things:

1. Who would start such a rumor to begin with, and for what purpose? fanboys being butthurt over the possibility of *gasp* an emulation machine that may potentially render their beloved original hardware obsolete?
    2. Even if there was a firmware issue that would cause a delay, what on earth would lead anyone to assume that means the whole thing is vaporware?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Right, The guy is an overreacting NintendoAge member. I posted there for years, but never saw many people with level heads. Those guys overreact to everything.
    They are the "FOX News" of retro gaming forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drclaw411
    PSN
    Drclaw411

That's big of you to admit your fault. Lots of people would try to blindly defend their position to the bitter end.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the firmware rumor was false, but that leaves me to wonder about two things:

1. Who would start such a rumor to begin with, and for what purpose? fanboys being butthurt over the possibility of *gasp* an emulation machine that may potentially render their beloved original hardware obsolete?
    2. Even if there was a firmware issue that would cause a delay, what on earth would lead anyone to assume that means the whole thing is vaporware?
    I originally saw it reported by another member of NintendoAge. Now, I don't know if that guy just made it up or indeed it was told to him as he reported by whatever store clerk that sells Hyperkin merchandise that he was referring to. It was fairly convincing considering the pictures of the stress ball, and that nobody had ever posted pictures of that stressball before (Hyperkin said those stress balls were from last e3 apparently). Either the original poster was lying or the store clerk was. I have no idea why the original poster would be intentionally lying, he has many times defended the R5 in that thread when other people come in to the thread and shit on everybody who has it preordered. He did say that the store worker was apparently not given a demo R5 unit that was promised by Hyperkin, so maybe she was upset that she didn't have a demo unit for her store and decided to spread a rumor about Hyperkin essentially scrapping the project?

As far as why it seemed to point to vaporware, the original post claimed that Hyperkin's official word was that they don't know when or if (if being the key word) they would be able to get the console fixed and ready for release.
    Last edited by Drclaw411; 03-18-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

You should never believe what is being reported by only a single person who doesn't speak with any authority, especially if they no evidence to back it up, and especially if its on NintendoAge.

It would be like me saying

Hey guys, finally after all these years, Half Life 3 has been confirmed~!