Page 14 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Drclaw411 View Post
    As far as why it seemed to point to vaporware, the original post claimed that Hyperkin's official word was that they don't know when or if (if being the key word) they would be able to get the console fixed and ready for release.
    "If" should've clued you in from the start that it was nonsense. They didn't get to this point just to cancel it because of a software bug that mysteriously might not be solvable.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Right, The guy is an overreacting NintendoAge member. I posted there for years, but never saw many people with level heads. Those guys overreact to everything. So as I said at the top, don't be so overdramatic.

Anyway.

StoneAgeGamer, can you please answer the question Dire 51 had on the last page? he asked:
    Satoshi, I'm sure that the Megadrive slot will be fine. US Genesis consoles have a square notch blocking the insertion of Japanese Megadrive carts. Like playiing import Famicom on NTSC SNES (I tab hacked my SNES and have imported several SFC games), these tabs on the US/PAL Genesis are easy to remove, however if the game employs a region check it likely won't be able to run without further modification to the console. Main reason I haven't imported many Mega Drive games (except for Psycho Pinball because I'm a big Pinball fan) is because it's impossible to know exactly which games employ the region check unless you test them out or ask around in the forums. Anyway, Retron5 lacks these square tabs so I'll assume any US/PAL/Jap region game will insert properly and dump just fine.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-19-2014 at 04:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I hate to do this, but I think saying that NintendoAge isn't credible at all is a stretch, often there's a lot of solid info there. That said, NintendoAge is deeply in the pocket of some of their longest and most appreciated members of which one is the owner of retrousb.com which is creating an HDMI NES system that isn't emulated but all new parts FPGA if I remember right, and it has a scoreboard component in it for competitive gaming. Bunny has been super critical of the Retron5 and many who are friends, retrousb supporters, and anti-clone, anti-emulator types have all jumped on a communal gangbang attack of the thing for a good year now. I've tried to defend the Retron5 as a solid alternative, but the thing is you're arguing against a site that leans towards collectors (some very irrational too) who do not like change, do not like interference, and really don't want to see people fucking with their hobby in cash value and collector value.

That can be said of any collector too involved in their hobby so it's not an NA thing as much as a general argumentative thing where you can get some unbalanced sorts trying to start shit with lies, rumors, faked or reused to be faked imagery and anything else to childishly hurt the perceived competition.

I think the Retron5 has promise, but it's only that much until the hard evidence shakes out in many reviews of the retail shelf unit people bought for what it can and can't do, not freebies or paid reviews off handed out systems.

...also ripping on Fox News is just childish, really? Could be worse, there's MSNBC that doesn't even at least attempt to do news. At least there's CNN eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah, the HDMI NES by bunnyboy, the Super 8 by low_budget and the Ouya are all viable alternatives of the Retron5, but supports of those products don't tend to have much faith in the RetroN5.

I prefer to wait to see for myself. No point in defending - or bashing - the Retron5 until I have personal experiences. That said, I do anticipate the results will be similar to the Ouya, but the Ouya will have more options that outclass the Retron5 in some ways. Still, I think the two systems will cohabit the same shelf for many years to come.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I hate to do this, but I think saying that NintendoAge isn't credible at all is a stretch, often there's a lot of solid info there. That said, NintendoAge is deeply in the pocket of some of their longest and most appreciated members of which one is the owner of retrousb.com which is creating an HDMI NES system that isn't emulated but all new parts FPGA if I remember right, and it has a scoreboard component in it for competitive gaming. Bunny has been super critical of the Retron5 and many who are friends, retrousb supporters, and anti-clone, anti-emulator types have all jumped on a communal gangbang attack of the thing for a good year now. I've tried to defend the Retron5 as a solid alternative, but the thing is you're arguing against a site that leans towards collectors (some very irrational too) who do not like change, do not like interference, and really don't want to see people fucking with their hobby in cash value and collector value.

That can be said of any collector too involved in their hobby so it's not an NA thing as much as a general argumentative thing where you can get some unbalanced sorts trying to start shit with lies, rumors, faked or reused to be faked imagery and anything else to childishly hurt the perceived competition.

I think the Retron5 has promise, but it's only that much until the hard evidence shakes out in many reviews of the retail shelf unit people bought for what it can and can't do, not freebies or paid reviews off handed out systems.

...also ripping on Fox News is just childish, really? Could be worse, there's MSNBC that doesn't even at least attempt to do news. At least there's CNN eh?
    As mostly a lurker on DigitPress, I'd like to chime in a little bit, as someone who has over 2000 posts on NintendoAge, I can say their biggest fault is that the community at large is more hung up on the collecting aspect than actually playing games and enjoying them. Half of all posts on NA if I sort by "latest post" are marketplace threads. There are icons for "complete" sets, etc, which is ludicrous on so many levels considering that a minimum 50% of the library available for every console are crap (although what defines "garbage" varies from person to person - it's often the case that one game enjoys games another thinks are crap), then the high-dollar rares that fetch so much money are being taken out of the hands of gamers who want to play them and made into display pieces for hard core collectors. Sure there's enough Mario/Duck Hunts to go around, but Bubble Bobble 2, Bonk's Adventure, Panic Restaurant, Little Samson, etc? Not gonna happen. Then they have a Hall of Shame system that banishes and chastises people if they happen to have a sour deal or two. I believe Satoshi Matrix, well respected guy with an awesome blog (his 100 best NES/Famicom list helped me discover a few hidded Famicom gems which I did import) fell victim to NA's HOS one-strike-you're-out bully tactics, despite multiple members chiming to his defense. All said and done, there's probably some great members as well as a-holes on either forum (ditto for AssemblerGames, AtariAge, and any number of other gamer centric forums), and I plan on doing a bit less lurking here on Digitpress in the future.

BunnyBoy/Brian of retroUSB seems very critical of the Retron5 because it somehow erodes his sales of the HDMI NES. I don't see how as I plan on getting both consoles, although I could see a casual gamer choosing the Retron5 over the HDMI NES because of it's lower pricepoint and the fact it supports several additional systems. But then no Scoreboard, no homebrews, Repros, etc... Either way my Retron5 is already paid for on Preorder at StoneAgegamer so I'm stoked about that. I got a nice whopping 15% discount coupon from a previous flash drive purchase, that I applied to mt entire order. Brian seems overprotective of his stuff, and I can't even get my CopyNES to read his newer flash-based UxROM homebrews. Fat chance people will be able to play Battlekid, Studyhall, or 8-bit Xmas 2013 with their Retron5, which is unfortunate. Piko Interactive seems to be partnering with Hyperkin in a way to get the Retron5 to work with their SNES Homebrews, including the SNES 4-in-1, so looking forward to good things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post

...also ripping on Fox News is just childish, really? Could be worse, there's MSNBC that doesn't even at least attempt to do news.
    It was a joke calm yourself. I thought equating nut jobs on NA to nutjobs on Fox News completely appropriate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    It was a joke calm yourself. I thought equating nut jobs on NA to nutjobs on Fox News completely appropriate.
    Fox news is nothing. If you want bottom of the barrel journalism, check out Yahoo/Reuters.

I miss Cartoon Orbit! Drclaw411's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drclaw411
    PSN
    Drclaw411

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    Fox news is nothing. If you want bottom of the barrel journalism, check out Yahoo/Reuters.
    Faux News is worse. It's not news, it's just a giant channel/brand that exists to tell you to vote Republican, blame minorities, and support CEOs. It's about as useful as MSNBC, which is the same damn thing except it orders the voting of Democrats and pisses on corporations. Neither channel provides much actual news.

Reuters is annoying because they are so similar to the AP. I don't want to read the same article on 83729 different sites.

Anyway back on topic...as a NintendoAge member, I really have noticed how the website's allegiance to RetroUSB has a lot of them pissing on the R5. I guess I should have made that connection when I saw that post about the firmware delay. I don't get why Bunnyboy and RetroUSB supporters are so hateful of the R5. I planned to get a copy of Study Hall, but I'm waiting for confirmation that it will work an the R5 first. My NES is on it's last legs, so the R5 will be my main means of retro gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Faux News is worse. It's not news, it's just a giant channel/brand that exists to tell you to vote Republican, blame minorities, and support CEOs. It's about as useful as MSNBC, which is the same damn thing except it orders the voting of Democrats and pisses on corporations. Neither channel provides much actual news.

Reuters is annoying because they are so similar to the AP. I don't want to read the same article on 83729 different sites.

Anyway back on topic...as a NintendoAge member, I really have noticed how the website's allegiance to RetroUSB has a lot of them pissing on the R5. I guess I should have made that connection when I saw that post about the firmware delay. I don't get why Bunnyboy and RetroUSB supporters are so hateful of the R5. I planned to get a copy of Study Hall, but I'm waiting for confirmation that it will work an the R5 first. My NES is on it's last legs, so the R5 will be my main means of retro gaming.
    Dude, buy Study Hall now!!! It's on it's second run and there's not that many left. It's an awesome game and it will be a pity if you miss out on it. Homebrews and Repros, at least the NES variety, won't work on Retron5 because the console needs to know what kind of mapper it uses in order to dump it. Real carts don't come with 16 byte headers telling the console how to run it. Emulators need those headers to know how to load the game. RetroUSB uses custom boards using a derivative of UxROM [iNES mapper 2] for many of the newer homebrews. These boards support onboard flashing of save data and other enhancements, so I doubt the Retron5 would be able to dump it properly. The stance from Retron5 guys is they will not be supporting gray market items such as pirates and repros, but there are tools for homebrew developers to submit their games to Hyperkin and have the games manually added to the supported list through firmware updates. Brian Parker of RetroUSB is very much anti-Retron5 right now so the chances that he submits any of his stuff to Hyperkin is slim to none, which is a pity. Then Brian can use homebrew compatability as a sales pitch for his upcoming HDMI NES. I don't owe loyalty to anyone and plan on getting both systems. I recommend replacing the cart connector in your NES if you're having trouble. Those cart connectors wear out after a few years. Some gamers do not like the aftermarket "death grip" connectors but from my experience they are a helluva lot more reliable than the stock connectors. Also Study Hall also plays fine on NOAC clones to the best of my knowledge. I've played it on my FC Mobile II but the tiny LCD screen looks like ass. The game also features flash memory for saving high scores and even an achievement system! [mind blown]. Either way you owe yourself to get this game...
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-19-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm a Canadian so I don't have a horse in the race, so to speak. There's bias in all the American news networks, print or tv. It's just that there's bias, and then there's Fox. Those people are nucking futs!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintend...5#.Uyo5WYWNLwq

Two things: Hyperkin is supposedly planning a version of the RetroN that has N64 compatibility. It's obviously not the 5, and this may just be something like a fightstick for the N64.

I'm more interested in their DOS gaming machine...

Oh, and I want to get both a RetroN5 and an HDMI NES.

I miss Cartoon Orbit! Drclaw411's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drclaw411
    PSN
    Drclaw411

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post

Two things: Hyperkin is supposedly planning a version of the RetroN that has N64 compatibility. It's obviously not the 5, and this may just be something like a fightstick for the N64.

I really hope the N64 device is either an adapter for the R5 or a high quality N64 controller with a more comfortable thumb stick than the original. As for the DOS machine, I'm hoping it is essentially and R5 for the older consoles. I want to play Princess Rescue with save states!

Oh and stardust...you convinced me...I just ordered Study Hall
    Last edited by Drclaw411; 03-19-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I hope that story about the N64 to look out for and some cheap DOS (physical) Box are true as I definitely see a market for that. A lot of old PC games just wont work anymore and some of the hacks and workarounds using emulation apps are brutal or suck, but to have a device that just does it brainlessly stock would be nice. Id think with the retron5 delays I bet they have either or a n64 in a controller type thingy maybe like jakks pacific junk but better quality or they go for a jack in device they run through the SNES or Genesis port or something as an optional addon. Making a retron6 or even announcing that so soon would way piss off their base.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post

N64 is in dire need of a facelift. I have an original N64 console, and while I do often repurchase titles I own on cartridge whenever they become available on Wii/Wii-U virtual console, the N64 titles were the ones I really enjoyed more playing them on Wii than the original console. The original N64 was so blurry even though the games were awesome. MarioKart 64 looked a thousand times better playing in 480p resolution on Wii than it did playing on the original console. I had a PC back in the day with an awesome graphics card and I was blown away when I loaded Mario 64 on my big 1600x1200 monitor and I could see every single brick in Peach's Castle. If there's one console that desperately needs the HDMI facelift, it is the N64. I would love to see an adapter like this for the Retron5:
    Name:  Retrode-N64-plugin.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  13.0 KB
    It would be awesome to play my old N64 games in glorious 1440x1080 HD pillarbox (or 960x720 since the Retron5 doesn't support 1080)

I really hope the N64 device is either an adapter for the R5 or a high quality N64 controller with a more comfortable thumb stick than the original. As for the DOS machine, I'm hoping it is essentially and R5 for the older consoles. I want to play Princess Rescue with save states!

Oh and stardust...you convinced me...I just ordered Study Hall
    Awesome! You will not regret it. It's one of the freshest homebrews I've seen and get challenging but is still very accessible aka you don't have to be a gaming ninja to enjoy it. As for the N64, a better controller would be nice. It's the only Nintendo system I own where I prefer the third party controllers over the originals. Well, that and for some reason I preferred the Madcatz Game Cube controllers for the rubber grips, but the stock GC was nice as well. The plastic thumb sticks in the stock N64 controllers destroy themselves over time with use no matter how careful you are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I'm a Canadian so I don't have a horse in the race, so to speak. There's bias in all the American news networks, print or tv. It's just that there's bias, and then there's Fox. Those people are nucking futs!
    Sadly, there's not much that's actually neutral and unbiased. Most of this stuff is liberal through and through. About the only thing unique about FOX is it's at the other end of the spectrum.

Quality reporting of the news, if it ever existed, definitely doesn't exist nowadays.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ggallegos1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4811-7358-8350

I was going to post this exact link but you beat me to it. I would love some HD N64 action, even if some of the games will be a bit fugly (polygons lol) I'm just using S-video now and I know the system can look better with the right unmodded love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

It's not just the video signal. N64 games are natively blurry. I've fully modded my N64 for RGB, and even at 240p, N64 games don't look as clear as other 240p RGB signals, particularly Sega consoles. Also, the resolution doesn't change, and even with the 1080p HDMI N64 mod that's in the works that still won't change.

But yeah, it'll be an update from S-Video.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As mostly a lurker on DigitPress, I'd like to chime in a little bit, as someone who has over 2000 posts on NintendoAge, I can say their biggest fault is that the community at large is more hung up on the collecting aspect than actually playing games and enjoying them.
    While collecting is undoubtedly a big part of NintendoAge, they do have weekly contests, which helps gamers show some love to otherwise forgotten games in their collection, so actual gaming and subsequent discussion is alive and well at NA, too.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    While collecting is undoubtedly a big part of NintendoAge, they do have weekly contests, which helps gamers show some love to otherwise forgotten games in their collection, so actual gaming and subsequent discussion is alive and well at NA, too.
    Alive, yes. Well, debatable. It's no secret that collecting and acquisition are the main pastimes of the forum, pretty much to the exclusion of playing. A look at the topic/post numbers shows that to anyone who isn't a regular poster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

JSoup is more on the money. Ive posted there since 2010, read there off and on earlier due to the unique things found. While there is a gaming board, the rest is more collector centered and it does cater to that to the detrement of people who are game players first. Check any of the repetiive long standing arguments there for that. Youll see the VGA vs anti-VGA posts pop up and when closed its because the pro VGA people cant take the heat for legit questions about their practices but is blamed on those whojust jump in to troll it instead. Then the fights over sealed over not, or how those who game should be happy with players copies (which are the less than good to beat up versions) since if youre a gamer it shouldnt matter if it works (yeah right) and others. It just is what it is, though since games have gone towards commodity trading it gets a lot more competitive and personal if not vicious in some cases which is a shame because I recall 3 years back the gaming end had a more public display of it.