Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1502

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My local gamestore is bragging that their retron 5 systems are "only" $199 Cdn. Not that I'm getting one but aren't there some online canadian sources for these things that would be cheaper?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No, not unless you can get an American to send you one to save a few bucks after shipping and the potential of getting screwed by the customs office. They know it so they're playing pricing games until it's all over freely. I hate stores that do it, it's just slimy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    My local gamestore is bragging that their retron 5 systems are "only" $199 Cdn. Not that I'm getting one but aren't there some online canadian sources for these things that would be cheaper?
    Where are you at? Because my local game stores don't have it at all, and the Toronto based store I preordered mine from expects to ship mine in *!^&ing August.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Is there a way to revert back to a factory install or install an outdated firmware?

Kept getting an error 1022 when updating to the newest update and got it to install after downloading the file again. Now the MD slot is screwed, carts are often not even seen as being inserted, every cart is listed as unknown and absolutely none of them will play. I don't know if it's a physical problem with the slot or some type of software error.

One thing I found really strange was this: I could put a MD cart in and it would say "no cart inserted". Follow that by putting an SNES cart in and it would give me a "2 carts inserted" error, but when I removed the SNES cart it would still say "no cart inserted". That makes me think it's a software error rather than the MD slot being physically messed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Where are you at? Because my local game stores don't have it at all, and the Toronto based store I preordered mine from expects to ship mine in *!^&ing August.
    In Windsor, the store is called "Game Cycle"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm not on my laptop so I can't dig really well for it, but the retron5 page does have a link to the use of the pinhole on the back to do a hard reset of the system to factory settings. I know it has been brought up on various websites so if you google it I'm sure it would pop up with the link back to the R5 site with the steps and images on how to do it.

Unless you have a bent pin I am thinking you're right about the whole software over hardware issue. One thing is certain i really dont want to get back into Genesis but man have I been itching to play Dune 2 and Star Control again for quite awhile, Castlevania and Turtles as well. Im trying to scale back my stuff and that's adding more to the pile.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I've been really impressed with the Retron 5 overall, but one thing is a major bummer for me: the timing is apparently off during battles in Mother 3, because I can't hit a combo anymore except by accident (I've played through the game 2-3 times now, so it's not that I don't know what I'm doing.) Maybe this'll get fixed in an update, maybe not. Either way, I know there's a cheat code for the game to guarantee you get 16-hit combos every time, which I was hoping to use to get around this issue - again, I've finished the game multiple times already, so don't feel bad about cheating -- but since a) the game shows up as unknown cartridge and b) there's apparently not a gba cheats xml available yet (not that I could find on the site, anyway), I can't try this yet anyway. Oh well. I just tested about 50 Famicom and NES games, and the only one that didn't work was Fantasy Zone (Famicom.)

Off to a movie!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Unless you have a bent pin
    T'was the culprit. Last game played before everything went haywire was a FC game, inspection of the slot had a pin (B10 or so) lifted up about 1/8 inch above the rest. Gently pressed it back down and all is well again.
    Last edited by Az; 07-04-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hah weird kind of glitches like a closed circuit great though that it is fixed.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sega Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see a 1.5 on their website. It's still on 1.4 since the 26th of last month, and on their site it does have a change log of everything.

Nusilver, you got me confused, no idea why Zelda would do that since you're doing it right. As far as Mother dropping frames I'm not sure. I do know that Mother a legit copy uses a different board and has FLASH chips for saving as well. Maybe the cheap chinese board just isn't handling itself like it should and due to the wrong type of save that was used against the real one, that is why the thing is having the save failure because you're writing one type back to a chip that is expecting another.

X2 and X3 supposedly work perfectly, I got rid of both as I didn't like them at least a year ago or I'd have been curious and looked too as I started on chipped SNES games when I got it to see how things worked.
    I don't see one either, but I was asking because some of you apparently speak to Hyperkin on a regular basis so I thought you might have the latest. I thought they were trying to get to 100% compatibility.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    T'was the culprit. Last game played before everything went haywire was a FC game, inspection of the slot had a pin (B10 or so) lifted up about 1/8 inch above the rest. Gently pressed it back down and all is well again.
    Sucks those bent pins again.

Tanooki, feel free to report when you get 1.5 firmware working. I kind of volunteered to quote any new Retron info from your over to the NA thread if that's okay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

be wary of trolls that will ban you because oh no, you're being reasonable and not carrying a pitch fork to burn the R5.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well there are some reasonable people over at NA still as the place shifts more into the controlling side of things. You can paste whatever you like and encourage them to join here where they won't be bugged as a minority.

I haven't seen the tech in a couple days, not sure what's up.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well there are some reasonable people over at NA still as the place shifts more into the controlling side of things. You can paste whatever you like and encourage them to join here where they won't be bugged as a minority.

I haven't seen the tech in a couple days, not sure what's up.
    I haven't, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll keep an eye out, the last time he was still in a good mood, great really as they were going to knock off and go out and get wasted on drinks watching world cup, so maybe that's going well still. :P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i joined over here just to follow the R5 thread. Loving mine. Thanks for all your work Tanooki in working with them and getting the system better.

that find a mapper automapper was nice.

any chance we might see an "advanced" mode where we can pick the mapper and name the game so it will use that all the time. Might help them build their database to.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still loving my Retron 5.

Been playing Bahamut Lagoon all weekend! It's working great now.

One cool "feature" is that even after the most current update, is that the Retron 5 considers my fake Pokemon sapphire game to be an unknown cartridge. I hope they don't change that in future updates so fake games are easy to recognize. Anyone else notice this with fake Pokemon cartridges?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Glad to see you come over, hopefully more people from over there fed up with the story telling and games will get fed up and seek alternative sites.

As far as advanced mode goes, that's a hell of an idea and maybe it could be done but I have not heard of it as a choice. I think they might expand the auto selector from beyond 0-4 though.

ibain, that's normal for it because the R5 if it doesn't auto-check like on the NES side of things has all the games in a massive CRC check database. A fraud pokemon game would not have the same CRC as a legit copy they'd have on file so it does what you just said. The down side is usually when they fail the test you can't import let alone export a save back to the cartridge. It sucks for good games that just don't have a CRC file on there one way or the other, but it's a great help when dealing with frauds like you said. My legit homebrew Team17 made game of Qwak for GBA isn't detected so the battery backed score saving is out, and also my english patched DQM Caravan Heart is useless too due to the save issue.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by ibain View Post
    Anyone else notice this with fake Pokemon cartridges?
    I tried about 10 different GBA boots and like you, all were seen as "unknown cart" but most still played.

I've gotta say after playing with this on a few different size LCD/plasma TVs and getting used to the bright, crisp picture it was hard to go back to my original systems on the older CRT. I even caught myself preferring to play some games using a filter or two, which is something that I've never had a taste for in the past.

If we could just map that pesky select button to the mode button so the Sega arcade pad joy could be spread around more....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also wish they would come out with a wireless controller with a D pad.