Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1502

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There's no secret to it. Here's the tech's facebook account through hyperkin -- https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005440995949

Go there, then send a message and offer up your services as I'm sure he'd be cool sending you builds as the more who can help the more nice the thing can be as everyone has a different cart collection somehow.

Az wow, thought it was the other way dumbing it down. I'll pass that alone immediately after I post this response as that just sucks.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Az wow, thought it was the other way dumbing it down. I'll pass that alone immediately after I post this response as that just sucks.
    Does everyone's console do that or is it just mine?

This is of course with the auto start when cart inserted turned off. Put a game in and turn the unit on but don't have your TV on. It should sit there doing nothing with all 5 system lights lit, when you turn your TV on it will cycle through the system lights then stop on the cart you've put in and dump it. It's as if it's waiting for the signal handshake from the TV before it proceeds with anything. I just thought that was weird since I've never seen any HDMI device act like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hmm I just did what you said.

My switcher box isn't powered so I have to unplug the R5 if i want to use the WiiU/PS3. I had the TV off, powered it (R5) on with Gradius NES inside. All the 5 lights were on and that's it. When I turned the TV on and then put the hdmi cable in, the system showed it was already up on the main menu and then loaded the game into memory a moment later.

So mine does the same.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonSilvestre View Post
    Yeah, I thought the combo SMW+SMAS cart would be a great test as well - so I pulled out my copy. Unfortunately it isn't recognized and doesn't boot up at all on the R5 at the present *sad trombone*

Might be a problem cart you should let your tech friend know about! Thanks for all your insight on this, if I run into other bugs or issues, I'll let you know/be sure to ask about them. It's great having a contact on the "inside" (that's what she said).
    Hey guys - I scrolled backward to find this one - I have this cart and it works fine, so I don't know if it's really a problem cart. Have you tried cleaning it? I know that sounds like a dumb suggestion but I had to clean a few of my games to get them to work - once they were cleaned, they were perfect (and recognized, too.) I also tested it with all 5 games and found zero issues/input lag/etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got to second that, forgot to post it last night before taking off. I own SMAS+SMW and it loaded up 100% normal, detected the name on the menu and played fine on the various games and its menu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about pal carts? Do they play the incorrect speed when played on the retroN 5, or do they play full (NTSC) speed?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I've got to second that, forgot to post it last night before taking off. I own SMAS+SMW and it loaded up 100% normal, detected the name on the menu and played fine on the various games and its menu.
    Ah. Well of course I should assume that carts I haven't put in a system in a couple years probably could use a good cleaning. Yeah, I'll try it again tonight and see if I detect any lag in the control of SMW. Thanks for the tips dudes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ozzy I don't have any, but I heard they work and at the correct speed too.

If SMAS+SMW wasn't cleaned, yeah it would be a good idea. Even games just sitting in there sleeve for a few years can be finicky. You could always be 80s cool and give it a good blow. I hate to admit it but being lazy I've done it a few times not wanting to dig out my cleaning stuff and it worked. The R5 is admittedly a little more testy with funk on pins because it's not just connecting to play the game, it's connecting to download it, and if anything misreads it won't play at all or come up unknown if it can't match CRCs with the database inside.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interestingly enough, I've witnessed the Retron 5 dump roms incorrectly on dirty carts, bringing up garbage on title screens and eventually leading to hard locks. Not a huge deal, just an interesting observation.

I just finished Link to the Past on the Retron 5. Happy to have an excuse to replay the game for the first time in 12 years... fantastic experience on the Retron 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Like I said, no surprise. It has to get a clean contact to read it all to drop it properly into memory so the game runs since it's not just playing off the cart itself. It's the tradeoff to get many of the features the system has over junky system on a chip setups that are so poor.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up two Japanese Gameboy games this week from a thrift store. Unfortunately, the Retron 5 doesn't play them. I know they never said it would, but darn, I hoped I could play them on it!

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ibain View Post
    I picked up two Japanese Gameboy games this week from a thrift store. Unfortunately, the Retron 5 doesn't play them. I know they never said it would, but darn, I hoped I could play them on it!
    Game Boys are not region locked so there's no reason why they shouldn't work, aside from failure to add EVERYTHING to the database.

Hyperkin really needs to work on their database and mapper detection to get more "unknown" games working. The NES mapper 0-4 was a positive first step in the direction, but they've got a long way to go yet. Hang onto those carts; they may work further down the road...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ibain View Post
    Clean 'em. There's no reason these won't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There's two reasons I can think of with a third in the distance. They're either not in the CRC database or they're dirty, and the stretch would be really nice bootlegs.

I found Bible Adventures earlier ago today in the box for a buck. I'll throw it in and see what happens on mine sometime today as I'm curious if the Wisdom Torture games work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Problem Solved!

Thanks guys!
    They were just dirty. Now I can play the exciting game of Zoids Densetsu, whatever that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Has anyone else tried Dragon Warrior on the Retron5? The music gets louder then goes quiet all the time. I know the cart isn't dirty because my copy was brand new (H seam sealed) I just opened it up to play it. Has anyone else have this happen?

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    I know the cart isn't dirty because my copy was brand new (H seam sealed) I just opened it up to play it. Has anyone else have this happen?
    Kudos to you. Games were meant to be played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I second that, none of the vga hardon sealed game hoarding going on there. Sure it's not an expensive game but for what it is, it's still fairy good so I could only guess why that is happening and I hope you enjoy it.

Retron 5 firmware 1.5 went live about 2-3 hours ago if anyone didn't trust the stuff I sent and want the official build. Unless I hear from the tech otherwise I'm going to guess my preview build is the same.

Insert Coin (Level 0) RoryDropkick's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It appears to be. I hope the other firmware gets released soon as well, the power button fix really improved the bootup times.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I updated my system with v1.5 but my system doesn't turn on as quick. It still takes about 5-8 seconds to turn on and I still have to hold the button until the lights turn on. Am I doing something wrong? I thought It was supposed to be you press the button and release and the system turns on.