Page 56 of 76 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1502

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

1.5 is the gaming firmware. The update they're talking about to have it power on in 1/2 a second holding the power button as far as I know it a stand alone test I was handing out unless they bundled it somehow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by omegadevil View Post
    I updated my system with v1.5 but my system doesn't turn on as quick. It still takes about 5-8 seconds to turn on and I still have to hold the button until the lights turn on. Am I doing something wrong? I thought It was supposed to be you press the button and release and the system turns on.
    Same here! I updated to the 1.5 and It's still the same as before 5-8 seconds.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the power button was application not the gaming part of the system

i updated to the power button then the 1.5 test firmware and im good to go with quick power on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've sent him the link to the quick boot, it still is a working link I had from awhile back. There is a disclaimer of do it at your own risk, but there should be no risk, it's a cover your ass type thing since it's not officially out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the link Tanooki. I just installed the update on the Retron and it starts up soo quick. This is how it should have been released!. I really wasn't expecting it to be that fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tanooki, please send me the link !!!
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just got an email from Amazon. My unit shipped today.

Does anyone know if they latest updates will be installed or
    does every system start at the same point and require the same updates?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by T View Post
    I just got an email from Amazon. My unit shipped today.

Does anyone know if they latest updates will be installed or
    does every system start at the same point and require the same updates?
    I would be greatly surprised if you don't get the 1.0 firmware. Hyperkin has been doing all it can to get the units shipped since the June 6 "launch". Nobody would have taken the time to update the firmware, or you'd be waiting yet much much longer.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well actually I'd be almost surprised if it was 1.0 on there. The tech told me that whatever comes in they were supposedly going to intercept them and put the latest at the time firmware on the system before packaging it back up and shipping them out to their buyers(amazon, etc.) Maybe it will have 1.31 on it if you're lucky. Let us know it will confirm if the tech was given a line of crap or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey for those of you with this thing, got a request if you own GBA games, or people at least with GBA games in general.

I've been doing some digging and I'm starting to think that the R5 never actually had an SRAM bug killing the saves. I did not know this about in 2002 Nintendo quit with the batteries and they quietly replaced SRAM with FeRAM Ferroelectric RAM which doesn't need the battery. Supposedly it's super similar in design/function to SRAM other than the battery being out of the picture.

I'm seeing reports online of some stuff like the FF titles and some others being listed as SRAM but when opened up, they have no battery, so they're actually using FERAM.

Does anyone here have suspected SRAM games and a triwing and can check to see if they're FERAM? Also does anyone maybe have a hint where to find the FERAM specs in relation to the GBA if they're even out there. This appears to be what is causing the foul up perhaps. I haven't run this by the tech as I just figured it out doing some digging here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty sure Final Fantasy IV (one of the last GBA games) uses this.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think all the FF games use the same save type as it's cheaper than using a flash or eeprom chip. THough reported wrongly as sram by pocketheaven's release list they all are of the same type so perhaps whatever thing they used to pull the data mislables FeRAM as sram v113 type?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I noticed something today on the SMS side. I don't know at what point the updates changed this, but now if I remove the SMS cart the system (converter still in the console) the console doesn't detect the cart being removed. This means you either have to completely remove the PBC or power cycle the system to change SMS games. I know for a fact the console did not do this a few updates ago. It probably has something to do with the programming on their cart detection routines changing and inadvertently causing this hiccup.

Also, I hadn't read this mentioned anywhere, but the console *does* map the pause button to your controller, so you don't have to walk up to the console and physically press the pause button on the converter. Definite plus. Those FM tunes? At first I didn't like them since they were so different from what I had ingrained in my memory from childhood, but now that I've actually sat for a length of time and listened to them, man are they such an improvement. Although only a handful of games utilize it I can see myself never going back to the regular MD hardware for these particular games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I heard about the start button thing, a wise choice as it was just so so dumb Sega did that. I hated having to sit on the floor near the thing in case I wanted to pause it when I had one a couple years ago. As far as playing without the game the PBC isn't the only thing that works with. So far only with one converter, the Honeybee and none other, if you fire up a Famicom game using that in the NES slot, once it dumps the game you can remove the famicom cart and it will behave just fine as long as the Honeybee stays in the slot.

I finally got word back from the tech, the silence of the last week was that they got super busy pounding away at fixes and bugs I guess with the device. They did look into that thing about the SRAM vs the FeRAM thing I had brought up and found while the tech is different, how the BUS and operations work is identical so if both fail, both fail, it's not one or the other, so they have a crew working at figuring out what went wrong to fix up the save issue once and for all and could have a test build out in a few days/shortly to see if it's finally repaired. Basically any feedback people like me who bundle up stuff, or single people sending in reports they're fixing them and most of the feedback the techs are receiving has been positive so they're not being whined by trolls like their hyperkin facebook page does fortunately. So the save issue and stability improvements I guess will be what to look out for in the next version down the pipe.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Tanooki, do you know if the Retron 5 supports the 74HC257 mapper or a mad1 chip? I recently purchased an snes Alcahest repro that didn't work on the Retron that had the same loading problem where the game comes up as an unknown cart and when you select to play the cart it starts the loading sequence again. I asked the creator about it and they mentioned that they use the 74HC257 mapper or a mad1 chip for creating carts.

Edit: spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have no clue, but I can pass it on. I just try and get things fixed, I don't work on it so I have no access to that stuff without asking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I haven't been following too too closely, but since I should be getting my preorder unit soon (June 6 launch my ass) I wanted to ask about GBA games. I know GBA game saves have vanished for people who copy the sram to the system and then attempt to export it back to the cart. Is that still an ongoing issue? There are games that I want to play on the RetrOn5 like Final Fantasy VI Advance, but not if it's gonna cost me 80 hours of progress by deleting the save. Is it possible to play the game and not copy the sram to the system and only to and fro the cart itself?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re-read my last post or the one before I forget, but yes it is, but it is right now with a team on it trying to fix the problem. SRAM and FeRAM have a random lower frequency bug that corrupts the save data causing it to be erased or broken so the game erases it for you(like Square games do.) EEPROM and FLASH save games and all other various games save formats are fine as far as I understand it(not seen any Sega complaints, but I don't have any to test.)

Yes it's possible to play. Just don't copy the save (by default system will do it the first time a game is new to the system) and you're fine as it auto saves a quick save file to the system if you jump out of the game, and also it has a true multi-slot save/load state mechanism too. If you don't care to play it on a GBA you can just play it on the system and save/load state your way through it, and if you do, just wait until it's fixed and then you can copy the save to the cartridge. By default the R5 will even if you use a 'real' save will just store it to the system anyway so the cartridge is safe in that respect, it's something to do with the reading and writing that causes the problem.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Has anyone confirmed SMS SRAM games working properly? I've still yet to find any that are recognized properly. They all work and have the right header name but none are detected as having SRAM so you can never import/export saves and you have to rely on savestates rather than actual saves.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm honestly pretty confused. NA is where hardcore collectors buy/sell. I wouldnt think anyone would want a retron since they would have every console anyway.