Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Examining the Decline of PC Game Collecting (& the PC game industry as well)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

When you put that last block of text that way I'm glad I'm being held back. That shit right there is the primary reason why I gave up buying expensive computer parts every year or two to keep up so my shit would run. I don't need steam boxes coming in that destroy the console side of gaming so Nintendo, Sony and the other clowns have to have upgradable consoles or shovel out new shit every 2 years to remain relevant or die. They want me to stop buying games at all for home systems, that would do it hands down as I don't need another money pit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I venture that there has yet to be a PC game that will refuse to run on anything but the absolute latest and greatest $5000 machine, as the audience for such a game would be much too limited. (Maybe there's some weird indie game out there, but indie developers are unlikely to make anything particularly worthwhile that would require that much computing power.) There may be PC games that look totally amazeballs on that kind of hardware, but they'll scale down well enough to something more modest.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First of all I said genres not games a lot of genres that use to be exclusive to PC's like FPS and strategy games are on consoles. Also I was talking about actual game releases on CD not through GOG or steam and all of that bullshit to be honest I wouldnt even count that. If people are going to throw those in there then its almost more PC games get released not less

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not an angry reply even though the post kinda seems like that a little bit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LINK398 View Post
    a lot of genres that use to be exclusive to PC's like FPS and strategy games are on consoles.
    Strategy games don't seem to be particularly more common on consoles than they used to be; there is still no console port of the likes of Cvilization V and StarCraft II. I guess there are some strategy games on consoles, but even the SNES had ports of SimCity and SimCity 2000.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The concept with having to "keep up with the Joneses" in regards to always having to shell out cash regularly to upgrade something on your rig so it can play games is so turn of the century. Processor speeds have stabilized and a mid-grade card around $150-$200 will probably set you up for quite a while. Unless of course you have a monitor that pushes uber pixels and you must have the highest resolutions with all the settings to the max.

My machine was purchased around 2006 or so primarily for video editing. Of course I do a lot of other stuff on it. It's an Intel Core 2 Quad around the 2.4 or so GHz range with an ATI Radeon 5800(?- could be wrong) that was considered "middle of the road"'when I bought it probably two or three years ago. I have played Crysis, the new Tomb Raider, Batman: Arkham Asylum (only one instance of slow down ever), Alan Wake, the Witcher 2 and more and not a lick of issues (save for Batman). My monitor is basically "HD" grade and that's gorgeous for me. I recently had to buy a new motherboard and kept the old hardware as it is pretty dang zippy. Everything I've thrown at it worked pretty day well. It only takes a half hour longer than my 8 core I7 at work to render a 2 1/2 hour HD video to put on a DVD, which is no big deal.

So unless you feel you need to have the bleeding edge, you don't need to upgrade that often if at all for a long time. Besides, you do more with your computer than game, right?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How are the Mac computers with games and with parts in general as in compared to microsoft computers

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You'd be better off gaming in Linux than with a Mac.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    You'd be better off gaming in Linux than with a Mac.
    Does anyone have any experience with how much game compatability you'd lose if you switched from Windows 7 to one of the more popular Linux (say, Ubuntu). The only reason I stick with Windows is because games and other software usually list Windows as a requirement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lictalon View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with how much game compatability you'd lose if you switched from Windows 7 to one of the more popular Linux (say, Ubuntu). The only reason I stick with Windows is because games and other software usually list Windows as a requirement.
    You'd lose a lot I think. Most games get cranked out for Windows first and might trickle to the *nixes. I know with Humble Bundles that's starting to shift with a number of titles making their "Linux/Mac debut".

Aside from that, driver support is a lot better but I think it's still nowhere near a Windows machine. Granted I'm not a Linux guy and only dabbled with the platform so I could be all wet but that's my view from a "consumer" level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would speculate on the quality of Wine and its ability to run newer Windows programs in Linux, but I'm really not sure what the shape of that is these days. (It used to be that your best option was to jump through some hoops and get Cedega, which is a fork of Wine, but Cedega seems to be dead now.)