Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Examining the Decline of PC Game Collecting (& the PC game industry as well)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Well I think most people are emulating Windows 95 or 98, not XP, since you can do XP compatibility in Windows 7.
    You can't do XP mode in all versions of Windows 7. Home Premium doesn't have it. You have to have Professional or better. That means most PC's stock installation of Windows when bought new at a store in those days where they carried 7 instead of 8 won't do it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    You can't do XP mode in all versions of Windows 7. Home Premium doesn't have it. You have to have Professional or better. That means most PC's stock installation of Windows when bought new at a store in those days where they carried 7 instead of 8 won't do it.
    My PC has XP compatibility in all application/shortcut properties, and it's Win 7 Home Premium.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm with Rick on that, mine is a stock install from ASUS and it has no XP mode, it needs Professional which was like as someone said $150 or so more than the default so that's what I got, basic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    it needs Professional which was like as someone said $150 or so more than the default
    No, that is NOT what I said. A BRAND NEW copy of Professional costs $150. When I bought my PC a few years ago (a Dell, to be precise), the option of getting Professional cost $50 more than the default.

And XP mode is completely different from running a program with compatibility mode. XP mode consists of an entirely separate virtual machine running its own copy of Windows XP. Compatibility mode is just Windows 7 attempting to fake it. And actually, there is considerable effort put into compatibility mode; Windows 95 compatibility mode actually contains a giant chunk of the old Windows 95 code. (Mr. Chen has lots of interesting articles like that; see also this, for instance.) However, there is no way compatibility mode is ever going to run 16-bit applications.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compat.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	7314
    Last edited by Jorpho; 01-27-2014 at 12:21 AM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Ah that's true. I'm sure there's free virtual machine software available. As I said metal Jesus used something like that in his video.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm saying with my options $150 would have been it and then grabbing all the drivers off their website and manually loading what I needed as if I ran the backup on the shadow drive on here for restorations would have wiped it back to stock.

As far as running other shells it's just too complicated for me to even bother and I don't have another copy of an os either to even attempt it. I'm sure my i5-2410M chip and 6GB of ram would be more than enough to run some DOS/9X era crap easily but it's just more work than it is worth when I got a wall of around 300 games ranging from the early/mid 80s to current where more than 1/2 of it is 8/16bit stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

but it's just more work than it is worth when I got a wall of around 300 games ranging from the early/mid 80s to current where more than 1/2 of it is 8/16bit stuff.
    But that makes it sound like it is entirely worth the work involved. Whatever.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Depending how you look at it you're right. But with the stuff 10ft away on my wall they just slide into a system and work. The other would take buying an OS, figuring out how the hell to setup on this laptop vmware or something like that to fire up 98SE or XP within, then finding the old games I liked back then and setting all that up along with just finding the time to do it.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I think that it's primarily the ease of use and compatibility issues. If a person has a sizable SNES collection and their SNES breaks they can easily just buy another SNES and know that all of the games will work just the same as they did on their previous console. If you have an old 486 PC to play older Windows 95 games and that dies.... not as easy to replace.

I'll be honest, I have a ton of old PC games that I've collected over the years but I don't have an old PC with 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives in it. If I ever wanted to play an old PC game and probably just DosBox it.
    Agreed, I collect DOS and C64 game and compatibility is definitely a factor. Especially the Windows 95 games. I find alot of people like the older Windows 95 games but have long ago parted company with their older PCs using Win 95. Take the Command & Conquer compilation disks selling on Amazon most if not all of the negative comments are about compatibility and not gameplay. The other problem is the limited shelf life/longevity of the diskettes themselves. I can't count how many C64/DOS game disks I've picked up on Ebay that have been DOA. Even my precious Civilization (DOS version) disks died on me. But I can buy carts for my Atari 2600 or my NES and they work just fine almost all of the time.

Also, what’s up with GOG? I bought everything they have from Sid Meier but no Civilization yet???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Perhaps something with the deal Steam has when they swindled the requirement of their shitty front end on Civ 5 has something to do with it. I really liked Civ 5, but I don't like Steam and want nothing to do with it so I parted ways with the game. If I could find a copy of it neutered of Steam I'd be all over it, same with Terraria which I finally picked up recently on Android.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Perhaps something with the deal Steam has when they swindled the requirement of their shitty front end on Civ 5 has something to do with it. I really liked Civ 5, but I don't like Steam and want nothing to do with it so I parted ways with the game. If I could find a copy of it neutered of Steam I'd be all over it, same with Terraria which I finally picked up recently on Android.
    I'm not a Steam guy either. As far as Civ 5 is concerned: awesome. Keep your fingers crossed on a neutered Steam version. Jeez, I'd be happy with just Civ 1 and since we're starting a wishlist I'd like to throw in a GOG version of X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and SSI's Final Liberation. I got a Win 95 version of Final Liberation off of Ebay and managed to get it going but the sound is really bad on my old gaming computer. But what can I expect from a really really old computer I got off Ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is it abut Steam that you dislike? It's always been reliable to me and you can't even tell it's running unless you decide to open the client.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What is it abut Steam that you dislike? It's always been reliable to me and you can't even tell it's running unless you decide to open the client.
    Nothing specific. Many folks I know are happy with it. It’s just not my preference. I just personally prefer GOG. Most of the games I'm interested in on GOG are all under $10 and 100% DRM free. That being said if for some reason GOG's servers went down, or they went out business, or even if they just changed their policies the games I buy from them are all mine to throw them on a Flash Drive, burn them to a DVD/CD, or just keep them download to my HD. But on the flipside Steam seems to have more games and their not likely to ever go out of business. Plus Steam has Dark Forces, very jealous...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought a copy of Worms (can't remember which one, it was fairly new) that just simply wouldn't work. I kept getting errors to do with Steam (again, can't remember the exact error). Then when I moved, and changed email addresses, and I couldn't remember my password, I couldn't get into my account nor could I have my info emailed to me since that address was discontinued. My emails to steam asking for help went unanswered several times. This was 7 months ago. I'm done with them.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Same, I actually really like it. It's pretty cheap too. People complain about the cost of entry into PC gaming (and rightly so. This stuff is pricey). But the games are cheap! Steam and origin are always having deals, and most games drop in price pretty significantly in about a month after release. I think i got Tomb Raider about a month after release for $20, and it slaughters the ps3 and 360 version.

DRM blows, but there's a lot of conveniences that come with digital distribution. That said, I live in the second largest city in America, and I can afford fast and reliable internet service, so that may be where people are having trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    That said, I live in the second largest city in America, and I can afford fast and reliable internet service, so that may be where people are having trouble.
    You can say that again. You live down in Southern Cali and I live in central Cali in the sticks. Nothing but range cattle and farm land up here in BFE. Internet options were I'm at are limited to say the least. So Comcast if your listening,

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes it seems less and less games get a release on the PC one of the main reasons is it easier to copy and distribute the game and also consoles have a lot more market share than they did. A lot of PC exclusive genres are also available on consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LINK398 View Post
    Yes it seems less and less games get a release on the PC
    I have no idea where you got that idea.
    A lot of PC exclusive genres are also available on consoles.
    How can something that would be "exclusive" also be "available on consoles"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah those are some weird comments. All it takes it one look at something like Steam or the various ripoff sites like it, or just stand alone selling independent developers who shovel all sorts of stuff out by the day on computer to know that's wrong. And yeah it can't be exclusive if it's on +1 platforms. :P

Less and less gets put on a DISC let alone in a box for retail on PCs, that's 100% positive. But a heap of those million selling+ console titles seeing that they're usually ported between the 360 and PS3 are very convertible to the computer tend to see a release on all three if the developer is into supporting computers. One trip through Steam and you can see how many of those games pop up on everything, the big name stuff.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

For as much as they're made out to be gods of the industry, (whether they deserve it or not remains to be seen) you can't deny that Valve didn't almost singlehandedly save the concept of PC gaming.

Not only that, but they turned the tide back towards them. All of these attempts to get indies on to other platforms like Ouya and stuff are always going to pale in comparison to what's on a PC. And with Steamboxes coming in soon, consoles need to adapt or die, just like PC gaming once did.

Consoles have essentially become obsolete PCs running bad operating systems. And yes, they are in fact holding the games industry back. Imagine if they didn't have to release a game in 2014 that was designed to work on a machine designed a decade prior.