Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classic First-Person Shooters

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gunswordfist View Post
    Yeah, that's what I hear the Build games are all about. Duke Nukem 3D was alright (beat it for the first time last year) but I popped in Doom 2 and played Suburbs and there was no comparison. Much better action, weapons and enemies in both Dooms.
    Yeah. It's almost unfair to compare the Build games to Doom.

Though I still play Blood on a regular basis and am trying to beat it. It does have a pretty interesting plot, which is something I can't say about most FPSes.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Driver View Post
    Marathon Trilogy
    Tell me about it. All I know is that its for Macintosh (which, unless there's a PC source port I'm unaware of, makes it beyond my reach) and that it was by the guys who later went on to make Halo... altho the latter isn't exactly something that makes me want to play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

Have fun playing the marathon trilogy in windows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

What the heck is "Aleph One"? Do these require a Macintosh emulator?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No as I recall when I looked at it on my tablet last night there's a Windows SDL version so you download that 'aleph one' app, then dump the marathon trilogy of data to it and it works in windows. I remember it being a big deal years ago and when I saw the comment about it I just happened to remember something about it and went digging and found the original old page is still up I found long ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Final question:

Does Marathon work on Windows 98SE?

... at the moment I'm too busy enjoying Wolfenstein 3D (just nabbed Spear of Destiny as well) but well, it'll be something to keep in mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I suppose you may find that answer if you were a little less busy and checked the link?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I actually did check the link. I saw it said it runs on "Windows" but it didn't specify which versions.

I'm probably just incredibly blind/stupid though, so I'll check again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Yeah. It's almost unfair to compare the Build games to Doom.

Though I still play Blood on a regular basis and am trying to beat it. It does have a pretty interesting plot, which is something I can't say about most FPSes.

I hear that Blood is the very best Build game. I really want to get my hands on it. Perhaps more than any other FPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I wouldn't call Blood the "best" Build Engine game, but its pretty solid nonetheless.

You can buy the full version, with both expansions, on GOG.com for $5.99. It comes with a preconfigured Dosbox for playing on a modern machine (though if you're like me and prefer an actual Dos machine, you can actually run the installer and then copy over the resulting files and the game works just hunky-dorey).

You might wanna check out this topic on the GOG forums too. Besides discussing the resolution of a common expansion pack issue, at the end I pitch in to explain how to make it control like a modern FPS (with mouselook, WASD and everything). Incidentally if you can't find the patch for Cryptic Passage, PM me. I archive every patch I download.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Those games were fantastic. Dark Forces is still one of my favorites, when they gave you the ability to jump and climb and such, I was in heaven. I don't think I've ever played Black Stone, granted it and several other games were just Wolf3D with different characters! I do appreciate that even to this day FPS games have not gotten overly complicated.
    Loved Dark Forces wish they would make another one someday. Such a great FPS

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    Dark Forces is also one of my favs. I never get tired of it. Even Mission three: Anoat City (the sewer level) which at first I absolutely hated has actually grown on me over the years. I recently picked up Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries of the Sith on Amazon. Have you played Dark Forces 2 or Mysteries of the Sith? If you have, what'd think of them? So far I like Dark Forces 2 and I haven't played too much of the Sith game probably will after I beat Dark Forces 2.
    I got into Jedi Knight years after the fact - PC gaming in general, actually - and I still fire it up every few years. Last time I did it with JK Enhanced. In some ways I prefer Jedi Outcast, just because of the Force (nothing better than Pushing enemies off of cliffs) and light saber abilities, but I love the design of the first Jedi Knight. Truly gets the size and scale of the Empire. And that gravity-failing ship level was and is very unique.

As for class FPS, I prefer Quake to Doom, I must say. What got me into PC gaming in the first place was Quake II, Hexen II, Half-Life, and what really impacted me the most, Thief: The Dark Project. (not a shooter, but still).