Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic First-Person Shooters

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Secretly, of course, I will always have a soft spot for William Shatner's TekWar and Star Trek: Klingon Honour Guard
    By "secretly" you mean "Confessing it on a public internet forum"

But yeah, I know that feeling of knowing a game kinda sucks but you have a soft spot for it anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    By "secretly" you mean "Confessing it on a public internet forum"

But yeah, I know that feeling of knowing a game kinda sucks but you have a soft spot for it anyway.
    You mean this isn't all a figment of my imagination? Shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Shogo was an amazing game I bought back in the day when I still would just 'borrow' stuff online. It was a blast going around in a mix of using a mecha or on foot in that game as those suits were awesome. Shame is if I recall right the game had a stick up its ass about even running on XP (guess it was coded pretty crappily) and I've never found it to run right on anything since as MS likes to keep old stuff from working the best they can.

I saw a sleeve/jewel case version of it at a half price books about a week ago or so and would love to do that game again some time but I imagine that won't happen and that it probably aged badly too since no one ever mentions it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Shogo was an amazing game I bought back in the day when I still would just 'borrow' stuff online. It was a blast going around in a mix of using a mecha or on foot in that game as those suits were awesome. Shame is if I recall right the game had a stick up its ass about even running on XP (guess it was coded pretty crappily) and I've never found it to run right on anything since as MS likes to keep old stuff from working the best they can.

I saw a sleeve/jewel case version of it at a half price books about a week ago or so and would love to do that game again some time but I imagine that won't happen and that it probably aged badly too since no one ever mentions it.
    Shogo has been on gog for a while. It actually hasn't aged too badly imo. It is fast paced and the graphics still have a certain charm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I actually saw three different Youtube reviewers do Shogo. One was Era Game Reviews (a guy who sounds like a robot, but is interesting if you don't mind that), and another was Gggmanlives whose series is just called "Retro Reviews"--both said that Shogo was good but may be hard to get into due to some of its less well-thought-out features. The third was Trashed Classics, who was positive all around.

So Shogo is definitely not forgotten.

In fact I almost bought it just because its engine was used to make Blood II: The Chosen, but so far I haven't made the plunge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Shogo is an awesome game.

You can tell the creators were huge anime fans, so it has a very unique flavor compared to other FPS.

From the Masamune Shirow inspired box art to the Evangelion NERV ahem... CURV suggestive posters scattered around.

I honestly have played it since 2002 or 2003, but I loved all the anime references and had a blast with the game.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still play Unreal Tourney 2004 and Serious Sam all the time on my 2006 Dell. I'm trying to figure out Jedi Outcast but I'm playing with a faulty keyboard and there's sooooo many commands in that game
    Last edited by FrankSerpico; 02-06-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Corridor 7..

still love that game.

blake stone, blood, shogo, build games...NOLF

so many great FPS games from 90s and early 2000s.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I also spent a good deal of time with Lethal Tender back in the day.

I have a lot of good random memories playing through it. One of which was me and my buddy playing through it on summer afternoon while watching Major Payne on TV.

The game used The Pie in the Sky engine that was eventually used in a game creation package. The engine was quite interesting. I always loved the Inventory system. It was more advanced than Wolfenstien or Blake Stone and even more advanced than the Doom engine in some respects. It allowed for your character to jump and had huge outdoor areas, but it was not full screen and lacked the lighting and color pallet of the Doom engine.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

How on earth did we get this far down the thread and nobody's mentioned Descent yet? That's one of the all-time great computer FPS games, and one of the first to incorporate six degrees of freedom by combining FPS and flight simulator. That game was my childhood!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

It's been years since I've played Descent and to be honest, last time I remember not really liking it due to how complex the controls were.

But that was a long time ago and its not unusual for my tastes to change in seconds.

EDIT: Just for the sake of discussion, I found this reviewer I like who does old PC games. Here's a review where he does three Capstone games (Corridor 7, Operation Bodycount, and Witchaven). Unfortunately he gives them all a low recommendation, but he's not bileous about it so it shouldn't offend fans of those games.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 02-06-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been years since I've played Descent and to be honest, last time I remember not really liking it due to how complex the controls were.

But that was a long time ago and its not unusual for my tastes to change in seconds.

EDIT: Just for the sake of discussion, I found this reviewer I like who does old PC games. Here's a review where he does three Capstone games (Corridor 7, Operation Bodycount, and Witchaven). Unfortunately he gives them all a low recommendation, but he's not bileous about it so it shouldn't offend fans of those games.
    Decent was decent. However I remember Decent 2 being better. I'll fire up dos box later and give it a go.

But seriously am I only one who liked Chex man?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    I also spent a good deal of time with Lethal Tender back in the day.

I have a lot of good random memories playing through it. One of which was me and my buddy playing through it on summer afternoon while watching Major Payne on TV.

The game used The Pie in the Sky engine that was eventually used in a game creation package. The engine was quite interesting. I always loved the Inventory system. It was more advanced than Wolfenstien or Blake Stone and even more advanced than the Doom engine in some respects. It allowed for your character to jump and had huge outdoor areas, but it was not full screen and lacked the lighting and color pallet of the Doom engine.
    Ah Pie in the Sky! I had hours of fun with that. I don't think I ever managed to put anything worthwhile though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Descent was a decent game back in the day, finished it I think once, but I didn't think of it as memorable as some others and also aren't you in a ship in that game so I really never mentally equated it with a first person shooter which typically is a dude or a dude in a powered suit using knifes, guns, and hand cannons or more against others.

Now if we were talking space shooters with a first person perspective I'd have brought it up, probably after Wing Commander 1+2 and X-Wing and Tie Fighter stand alone games too as they're all solid. Somehow because it's badass I'd have weaseled in Terminal Velocity as well as it was outstanding.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    But seriously am I only one who liked Chex man?
    I've been wanting to play it but haven't found a copy yet. This is Chex Quest, right?

I kind of wish I would have bought more cereal boxes for free software back then, I assumed most or all of these games were just crap at the time. The only game I remember buying a cereal for was to get the Atari compilation with 80 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I've been wanting to play it but haven't found a copy yet. This is Chex Quest, right?

I kind of wish I would have bought more cereal boxes for free software back then, I assumed most or all of these games were just crap at the time. The only game I remember buying a cereal for was to get the Atari compilation with 80 games.
    Yea Chex Quest! If recall they used the doom engine to them to make this game. It was a legitimately good game.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Y'all were far from the only people who enjoyed Chex Quest, it had a fairly large online cult following back in the day. You can download it for free here: http://www.geekosystem.com/play-chex-quest-1-2-3-free/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

"Descent is decent" almost sounds like a play on words.

I just got Rise of the Triad (original, not remake) in the mail. That's gonna be fun...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man, Doom. I got that Collector's Edition set back in the olden days when you could find it for $10 at Wal-Mart... I wound up ditching the bonus Doom3 preview (which was nothing but movies and such) and replacing it with a burned CD of WADs and source ports.

Oh, you might love this: The Best 100 WADs of All Time, ten per year, and it includes links (it mentions that Aliens TC, too).

I have Duke Nukem 3D, twice actually--both the original release (which included full versions of the original side-scroller Duke Nukem games) and the Atomic Edition, which I happened to find in a flea market. Spear of Destiny should be coming in the mail soon, as should Rise of the Triad (I've heard the remake of that which just came out is surprisingly faithful to the original). For me though, Doom (including its expansions and games which use the same engine, such as Heretic and Hexen) is pretty much the FPS to end all FPSes, because they were never that good again. I mean, the Build Engine games are good fun but they feel like they lack the frenetic pace and general immediacy of Doom and seem more about exploration, which has its own charm but just isn't my thing. Although throwing a stick of dynamite into a mob of cultists never gets old.
    Yeah, that's what I hear the Build games are all about. Duke Nukem 3D was alright (beat it for the first time last year) but I popped in Doom 2 and played Suburbs and there was no comparison. Much better action, weapons and enemies in both Dooms.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Marathon Trilogy