Thread: atari 2600 power adapters

Insert Coin (Level 0) crazzywolfie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default atari 2600 power adapters

i was wondering if it possible to fix a atari 2600 power adapter. i got 2 of them that don't work and one of them i am pretty sure is suppose to be brand new since i had it in most of the original box with the manual. it don't seem to be putting out any power. then the other power adapter seems to be putting out strange voltage readings. not sure if it is fixable. i know i can't see any screws to be able to take it apart.

i also got a parts atari 2600jr in a deal today. i was wondering if anyone might be able to help me get that going? the light comes on when you turn it on with a game but nothing showed up on the tv screen and the screen does nothing. i am pretty new to atari so i could use as much help as i can get. i have a feeling i might have to try doing the av mod to fix the atari but hoping someone else might have some idea's since i am not that good with a soldering iron yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
    then the other power adapter seems to be putting out strange voltage readings.
    What do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it seemed to be jumping around. i was really hoping to find my other digital multi meter to verify what my other digital multi meter was telling me. the multi meter i currently got says it is putting out 120v DC which is higher than the 40-50v dc it was telling me early. i know something can't be right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Are you sure you know how to use that thing properly?
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it seemed to be jumping around. i was really hoping to find my other digital multi meter to verify what my other digital multi meter was telling me. the multi meter i currently got says it is putting out 120v DC which is higher than the 40-50v dc it was telling me early. i know something can't be right.
    I'm with APE, I don't think you're using the multimeter properly. It should be putting about 13-14V when not plugged into the 2600.
    My collection

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Sound like the x100 is on instead of the x1 on the multimeter. Still though it sounds like it's ranging from 12v to 5v which is an unacceptable spread. At the same time though it's hard to get a decent connection to that plug because of its shape. The writes at the stem end might be broken inside the connector, often like how when a plug on your headphones goes bad and you wriggle it and one of the ear prices go on and off. Ids the same connector really...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the digital multi meter that i am using is pretty much idiot proof. you are ether measuring ac or dc voltage. it is automatic otherwise. i tested a working atari power adapter with it and it gave me the proper 10v like it should so i am pretty sure that was not the issue. the multi meter is one of those tools that i know pretty good since my truck is 33 years old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was testing both power adapters again and it apears the multi meter was automatically going to MV so both power adapters are currently only putting out 120mv which is no where near enough power.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

oi, reading my posts that I made on my phone makes me sound like an idiot. why does auto correct auto correct correct words!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so is there any way to fix the power adapters or is it just one of those things where you cut the cord and find another power brick to use

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had several dead Atari PS and I was only able to repair one that had a loose wire lead inside. Usually when they are bad that is pretty much it.

You can open them and harvest out the cord to use on another PS with similar specs however. I usually use a thin screwdriver and gently tap it (with a hammer) around the seal until it cracks then continue a few inches at a time until the PS splits in two. I then get a few PS with similar specs at the thrift store for few a buck each and open them up the same way. Then just cut the cord inside the PS and splice the Atari cord into it. You can usually put the two halves of the PS back together and secure it with some black electrical tape. I have made about 10 Atari 2600 PS this way and they have all worked fine.

The hard part is finding those pointed 3.5mm tip that the Ataris use as most PS I find have the barrel tip but if you have two then it should be easy to find good PS at thrift stores or garage sales. Good Luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^-- everything he said

2600 power adapters are the worst. In the last 10 years I've probably found 1 that worked reliably, and the special tool to open them is a hammer. I just graft the correct plug onto a donor supply (shameless plug plug)
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was just wondering since i have one that i am pretty sure was suppose to be brand new and it is dead. the cord it tight and i had it sitting in its original box with manual for a couple year. i was thinking about just cutting the cord and adding a nes sized power input since they seem to use a fairly standard size plug and i think my nes has similar specs to the atari power adapter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was thinking about just cutting the cord and adding a nes sized power input since they seem to use a fairly standard size plug and i think my nes has similar specs to the atari power adapter.
    I don't think the 2600 PSU puts out enough amperage for the NES. The NES requires around 850 mA whereas the 2600 PSU only puts out about 500 mA of current.
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not entirely certain what your plan is, but don't use the NES adapter on your Atari. The output is AC and it will fry things.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i forgot that the NES is AC but the power plug it uses is very common size so i could use my sega or turbografx 16 power adapter. then i could just plug in the home made cord without having to butcher things.