Thread: Looking for some good rally racers video games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Looking for some good rally racers video games

Yeah so I went o put Rallisport Racing 2 for the original Xbox into the Xbox 360 and sure enough it didn't work. (It's the first game thats compatible) So I was looking for other good Rally Racers. It could be for the Xbox 360 or compatible original Xbox games. Playstation 2 games are fine also thanks

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first 3 Dirt games are good, particularly the second one. It's a real solid and fun game. Rallisport 2 is the best Rally game I've ever played, a shame it's not backwards-compatible, but it's not like an original Xbox would cost an arm and a leg either.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort View Post
    The first 3 Dirt games are good, particularly the second one. It's a real solid and fun game. Rallisport 2 is the best Rally game I've ever played, a shame it's not backwards-compatible, but it's not like an original Xbox would cost an arm and a leg either.

This might not technically count but lately I've been obsessed with the rally races and time trials in gran turismo 5 and gt6.

Rally races seemed a much bigger deal in gt5 than gt6 tho, real shame but still mad fun and something to consider.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes an original Xbox is not that much money problem is I'm running out of room to put consoles around the TV and didn't really want to invest in an original Xbox since I have a Xbox 360 (I know a lot of games don't work on it) but it still seems like a waste to me plus I don't have that many games for the original. I'm thinking about just getting the first game in the series

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My call is Colin McRae 2005 for the original XBox. CMR2005 just got everything right. The series was turned into the DiRT series when McRae died. They added far too much bloom lighting, a bunch of unnecessary American-style events, and some pretty terrible music and aesthetics to the package with the shift to the 360. CMR 2005 was the last one that was distinctly Euro, and it was fantastic.

It's a little bit older, but WRC for PS2 is also a great rally game that shouldn't break the bank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've played pretty much all of them on consoles and handhelds (And a fair share of PC titles like Rally Trophy). I'm a big videogame rally fan.

For Xbox 360 in North America, you have seven solid options that range from arcade racers to simcades.

-WRC 2 from the UK is region free and the only entry in this new WRC franchise that is playable on stock Xbox 360's in North America since they haven't released them domestically for it. This is the closest you will get to a rally sim on the 360.

-The original Dirt has a lot of rally content (Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 de-emphasized it to the point where it represented a small minority of the game especially with #2). Stay away from chase view though since the way the car moves about is just odd looking and ruins any illusions of the physics being semi rooted in real-life. Roof or cockpit view conceals things nicely when you can't see how your car rotates and interacts with the road surface plus just helps any rally racer in general with sense of speed and so on.

-The original RalliSport Challenge is backwards compatible and almost as great as its sequel. I briefly played it on my 360 several years ago and didn't notice major emulation issues.

-Colin McRae 04 and Colin McRae 2005 (Which is essentially 04 with new content but sadly minus its excellent night rallys which means no more racing down narrow country roads with just your headlights with your windshield wipers going full blast keeping your window clear) are backwards compatible and play okay on the 360. Colin McRae Rally 3, despite the two sequels appearing to use evolved versions of this engine, isn't on the BC list however.

-Sega Rally Revo is Sega's console counterpart to Sega Rally 3 and is an excellent arcade racer.

-Sega Rally Online Arcade is a console adaptation of Sega Rally 3 featuring its exclusive courses with Revo's vehicles. It's a must for Sega Rally fans.

There is also a overhead WRC XBLA game labeled as WRC Powerslide. But beyond the pretty graphics, it didn't offer much. Uninspired physics and for some reason they shoehorned Mario Kart elements into it. I didn't convert the demo into a purchase.

And Europeans gain the excellent and so far only console rally sim as an option thanks to Richard Burns Rally being on their backwards compatibility list. It's also on our BC list but the publisher cancelled its release at the 11th hour just a few hours before it was due to be produced by the disc replication plant so it's unavailable. And they also of course gain access to the other three WRC titles for the 360 which are region locked and thus can't be played on stock North American 360's.

If just racing off road is all you really want, your list expands a bit. I can vouch for Baja: Edge of Control and Dirt 2/Dirt 3 all being fun games (And Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 do have a few rally stages... if you buy Dirt 3 make sure it's the complete edition or you'll miss out on the Monte Carlo rally stages which were the best in the game).

And Dirt 4 is all but confirmed for this year and is supposed to represent a return to something more like the old Colin McRae Rally titles. I can't imagine Codemasters not supporting the 360 (And PS3) with a version of it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-24-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

PS2 list is long and many are Euro exclusives. Xbox was definitely where rally action was at for North America since sadly the cream of the crop on the PS2 didn't see release stateside. And note that I'm excluding titles where rally isn't the primary focus like the GT and TOCA franchises which include some rally content.

The Colin McRae titles on the Xbox were excellent and I'm sure they're fine on the PS2 (Although 04 and 2005, which were the best of the three, I think were Xbox exclusives in North America). You can play Colin McRae 3 here though which you can't on the 360 due to it not being on the BC list.

The WRC franchise under Sony's reigns was excellent and the reason I got into PAL PS2 imports (The first of the five games did see a North American release though).

And for more imports, Sega Rally 2006 from Japan is great (Especially the inclusion of the original Sega Rally on a bonus disc) and Richard Burns Rally is also available in the UK and is top notch although a bit hard with the Dual Shock.

And for some odds and ends I can remember enjoying, there's Rally Championship (Euro/Jap exclusive on the PS2 but I played and had a surprising bit of fun with the GCN release which did see release here) and V-Rally 3 (Which saw release stateside). And Shox and Rally Fusion saw release stateside and are fun arcade racers.

And don't forget about PS1 backwards compatibility and games like the original two Colin McRaes and V-Rally releases (Especially V-Rally 2.. I wouldn't consider the original a must have).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-23-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice digest list Leo_A. My one complaint about BAJA: Edge of Control is that it is one of those games that makes you suffer with slow cars with poor handling for a long, long time before you get to use something that makes you competitive without racing a perfect stage. I wanted to love that game so much, but it was just a slog.

I didn't realize WRC2 for 360 was region free. I definitely have to check that out.

Shox is Another fun Sega Rally-esque arcade racer on the PS2. Highly underrated game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I recommend the Dirt games as well. They're really fun!

I also agree with the Sega Rally Revo suggestion. It's a fun arcade Rally racer, with a lot of challenges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a huge fan of Rallisport Challenge 2 for XBox, I can wholeheartedly recommend Dirt 2! That's the only modern rally game you need!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Top Gear Rally on the N64 wasn't bad. I seem to remember that you can paint your own car too.

EDIT Whoops. Missed the PS2 onwards requirement.
    Last edited by Daltone; 02-27-2014 at 02:59 PM.