Thread: Sega Game Gear Problems

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Game Gear Problems

So, I finally found a Game Gear last week, and I was very excited, and 2 days after I bought it and was playing it, I received the screen flickering issue. Does anyone know if this is worth fixing? A shop near me offered to fix it, I'm not sure how much for though. I know it's a common issue with these systems due to old age, but it's really annoying.

I'd like to keep this one cuz it has a rechargeable battery, though, and I never ever find these in the wild. I know they're real common and I see games for it, but the systems themselves are literally nowhere. And I don't trust the internet for these cuz everything always says, "as is," or "for parts" and yea. Fuck that.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

If you know how to solder, you can fix it with time and effort. Console5.com has the cap kit for it. Make sure you check what board version you have.

In my opinion its never worth paying to repair a gamegear since you can usually buy one for the repair cost.

It takes a while to solder all thise caps and most shops wont give a good price.

I have two still not repaired due to the time required. I fixed one and realized no one would pay enough for my extras to cover the cost of my parts/labor.

The site will have diagrams to help along with a fireball candy to munch on while you solder. <~ true hah

Also there is a tech and restoration forum for threads at the bottom of the forum list. You should be able to find some info there as well.

Welcome to the forum.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's wat I keep hearing. At least I got 1/2 off back for the system from the place I bought it from, and I have the battery pack, which I know is well worth getting since this machine eats batteries for breakfast. I'll probably just buy a cheap one with no accessories somewhere. Se la vi. Just sucks cuz I got to play the thing for all of 2 days and really enjoy it.

I miss Cartoon Orbit! Drclaw411's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drclaw411
    PSN
    Drclaw411

I got 99 problems but a game gear ain't one.

Lol I had to. On topic, it may be better to just replace the console. I got my replacement game gear for I think around $20 on ebay last year.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    That's wat I keep hearing. At least I got 1/2 off back for the system from the place I bought it from, and I have the battery pack, which I know is well worth getting since this machine eats batteries for breakfast. I'll probably just buy a cheap one with no accessories somewhere. Se la vi. Just sucks cuz I got to play the thing for all of 2 days and really enjoy it.
    You're saying the battery pack you have is still working? The most I ever got out of a battery pack is 10 minutes, usually less. For some reason 20 year old rechargeable batteries tend to not work properly anymore.

And no matter what system you get, it'll need the capacitors replaced at some point. They're all failing, even with still working consoles the screens look like crap because of this problem.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    You're saying the battery pack you have is still working? The most I ever got out of a battery pack is 10 minutes, usually less. For some reason 20 year old rechargeable batteries tend to not work properly anymore.

And no matter what system you get, it'll need the capacitors replaced at some point. They're all failing, even with still working consoles the screens look like crap because of this problem.
    IT seemed to be working fine to me. It didn't last as long as my PSP, but it worked for at least an hour. It's no big deal, you can just plug it in and play it that way, anyhow. But that's what I'm not sure about, if I should bother to fix the caps cuz if I get a different system it's likely the caps on that one will go anyway, so why not just fix this one? Idk. It's an underrated system.