Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video rental store memories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default video rental store memories

friday and sat nights,i wud live and die by the rental store growin up ,its funny i never liked the games i had back then,i always wanted to rent games and stuff,the video store i went to had like a whole wrap around section of snes games,so i always found sumthin i liked ,i usually rented super black bass,(i purchased it resently) love this game ,and metroid and battletoads ,just to name a few,loved goin to the video store...so what are some games yall member renting growing up?

i do member renting lots of ps1 games,but i cant member any i did ,and my cousin and i use to go rent nes games when we stayed at my gparents house,i member we rented double dragon 2 alot,haha that was a fun 2 player game for nes
    Last edited by RoleyDre; 03-04-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same here. It was such an event for me when my mom would rent me a NES game. I picked games solely on the cover box or screenshots in the back, just like most kids did. That and having McDonalds on friday night was pure fun for me. waiting to get home I was so excited to pop that cartridge in. Even if the game did suck I never complained, just playing a new game was always fun. Now its whatever I can simply drive and go get a game or get one on EBay and look on all the reviews on it before I decide to buy. Man what difference 25 years make.
    Last edited by PizzaKat; 03-04-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    Same here. It was such an event for me when my mom would rent me a NES game. I picked games solely on the cover box or screenshots in the back, just like most kids did. That and having McDonalds on friday night was pure fun for me. waiting to get home I was so excited to pop that cartridge in. Even if the game did suck I never complained, just playing a new game was always fun. Now its whatever I can simply drive and go get a game or get one on EBay and look on all the reviews on it before I decide to buy. Man what difference 25 years make.
    hell yea,right you are,the cover art was big deciding factor for pickin games...haha,i wish i cud member more games i rented so i can buy them now..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    matt_average

I'll never forget the first time I ever had to have a parent with me to rent a game. I was 11, it was September 1996, and I had walked 15 minutes to Blockbuster to rent Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the SNES, which had just come out in the summer. I spent enough quarters at Aladdin's Castle over the previous year and I decided it was time to bring it home. Blockbuster had become incredibly strict when it came to renting out games with "T" or "M" ratings to younger kids when they started the ESRB system two years prior. It was depressing to have to walk back home, have mommy drive me back up there, and have her rent it with me.

The one place I LOVED going to was just five blocks away - Mt. Tabor Video. Not only were there always video games of all systems for rent, you could also buy or trade your games, as well as rent five VHS movies, five days, $5, excluding new releases. There were a few arcade machines, pinball tables, and pool tables as well. It was a cool little hangout, it was cheap, and they were much less strict about renting out things like "R" horror movies to me. Hell, I even had my name on the account. It's been gone for at least a decade now. If I can find pictures of this place, I'll surely add them later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing View Post
    I'll never forget the first time I ever had to have a parent with me to rent a game. I was 11, it was September 1996, and I had walked 15 minutes to Blockbuster to rent Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the SNES, which had just come out in the summer. I spent enough quarters at Aladdin's Castle over the previous year and I decided it was time to bring it home. Blockbuster had become incredibly strict when it came to renting out games with "T" or "M" ratings to younger kids when they started the ESRB system two years prior. It was depressing to have to walk back home, have mommy drive me back up there, and have her rent it with me.

The one place I LOVED going to was just five blocks away - Mt. Tabor Video. Not only were there always video games of all systems for rent, you could also buy or trade your games, as well as rent five VHS movies, five days, $5, excluding new releases. There were a few arcade machines, pinball tables, and pool tables as well. It was a cool little hangout, it was cheap, and they were much less strict about renting out things like "R" horror movies to me. Hell, I even had my name on the account. It's been gone for at least a decade now. If I can find pictures of this place, I'll surely add them later.

haha,that is cool,sounded like an awesome store,i member the rating for the games too,my mom wud look at all my games and make sure they werent rated m,she didnt care about teen rating,but she was anal over the m rating,she never let me rent mortal kombat,and i member my neighbor had MK3 ,i would have t go to his house to playn it...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

In Northern Seattle on Fremont I found an independent video rental store that is still in business.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    In Northern Seattle on Fremont I found an independent video rental store that is still in business.
    aw cool,that is awesome,the one i use to go to has been long gone for while now

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember having sleep-overs with my friends when I was 13 or 14, and we'd always go to the video store and rent one movie, and one game, either for PS1 or N64. Usually something stupid like WWF. But we loved those retarded games! I do distinctly remember renting Battletanx: Global Assault, most likely for N64.

My favorite memories were renting an entire N64 just to play Goldeneye 007. And I'd spend my whole weekend on that one game. I had a Playstation back then, cuz I was into action games, obviously, and as we all know, the Playstation had a huge load of them, but it did not have Goldeneye. My friend and I had loads of action games to play on PS1, but for some reason we played Goldeneye more then anything else, which was only 1 of 2 action games on the system, at least from what we thought.

No one knew anything about what games were out back then, unless u had magazines. I used to get the Playstation magazine, and kinda wish I still owned all those issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't have the privilege of renting games but I loved going into a video store and just scanning all the boxes for games that interested me. I was most amazed at the newer generation stuff at Hollywood video I remember as I looked through the PS1 games mostly and maybe Saturn and N64 games as well. No way owning a PS1 or the other systems was even on my radar back in 1996 or 1997 as I got a PS1 maybe in September 1998 with my own money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    I remember having sleep-overs with my friends when I was 13 or 14, and we'd always go to the video store and rent one movie, and one game, either for PS1 or N64. Usually something stupid like WWF. But we loved those retarded games! I do distinctly remember renting Battletanx: Global Assault, most likely for N64.

My favorite memories were renting an entire N64 just to play Goldeneye 007. And I'd spend my whole weekend on that one game. I had a Playstation back then, cuz I was into action games, obviously, and as we all know, the Playstation had a huge load of them, but it did not have Goldeneye. My friend and I had loads of action games to play on PS1, but for some reason we played Goldeneye more then anything else, which was only 1 of 2 action games on the system, at least from what we thought.

No one knew anything about what games were out back then, unless u had magazines. I used to get the Playstation magazine, and kinda wish I still owned all those issues.

hhaha,that is cool,i use to always see the consoles for rent in the video stores but i never saw anyonerent them ,and i never rented one,hahai didnt think anyne did ...but glad you did

yea,i use rent rush 2 extreme racing for n64,its the one that me and my friends just played the stunt course the whole time tryin to rack up points,and i recently bought that game ... which is soooo much fun with a friend...

and 007 nightfire on ps2 was one me and my buddies played alot,mainly cause of the guided missles,which was so much fun,it put you in the missle and you controlled it,man total awesome!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    I didn't have the privilege of renting games but I loved going into a video store and just scanning all the boxes for games that interested me. I was most amazed at the newer generation stuff at Hollywood video I remember as I looked through the PS1 games mostly and maybe Saturn and N64 games as well. No way owning a PS1 or the other systems was even on my radar back in 1996 or 1997 as I got a PS1 maybe in September 1998 with my own money.
    parasite eve was an underrated rpg for the ps1,and i played it not to long ago on my ps2,it ran great and the picture didnt detiorate at all,great game,and hard

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Sick days in school my mom would take me across the highway from the road we lived on to Bay Video. I always rented nes games. For some reason marble madness was the one I always went for if I was sick.

A few years ago I had purchased a milk crate of nes games at a yardsale and low and behold, there it was. Marble Madness with the Bay Video sticker on the back. It is one of my priceless games. I love having that big part of my gaming history and nostalgia in my collection.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RoleyDre View Post
    hhaha,that is cool,i use to always see the consoles for rent in the video stores but i never saw anyonerent them ,and i never rented one,hahai didnt think anyne did ...but glad you did

yea,i use rent rush 2 extreme racing for n64,its the one that me and my friends just played the stunt course the whole time tryin to rack up points,and i recently bought that game ... which is soooo much fun with a friend...

and 007 nightfire on ps2 was one me and my buddies played alot,mainly cause of the guided missles,which was so much fun,it put you in the missle and you controlled it,man total awesome!!!
    I own Nightfire on Gamecube, but haven't actually played it yet. I'll hafta fire it up one of the days. Just so many games, I can't get to em all. Me and my friends at that time were so deep into FPS's that a lot fell under our radars. I remember my buddy had a SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, AND N64, basically for all the shooters.

This was 2000, which was kinda the heyday for shooters, I think, when the market wasn't totally dominated by Halo and CoD. I remember we played Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on N64, Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast, Halo 1 on Xbox, Turok on Gamecube, and Red Faction for PS2. Red Faction was cool because u could blow up walls and find different ways thru the levels.

I also remember my friend's mom coming down to yell at us when we had Goldeneye going at 2am and she was tryin to sleep. I still haven't gotten around to pickin that one up again yet. I'm sure it'll surge so much nostalgia. Just too many games. Perfect Dark certainly does.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What also amazed me was that my buddy would rent games all the time, and beat them within the 5 day rental period. I remember him doing that with Silent Hill on PS1. At the time, I couldn't imagine beating a game taking such little time, possibly because my skills weren't as good as they are now. Even today I hafta really commit to a game and play it hardcore to beat it that quickly. The 3 quickest beats I can remember of recent were Catherine, Metal Gear Rising, and El Shaddai. And those each took maybe 5 or 6 days of just goin' at it. Mainly cuz those games were all so fantastic that I couldn't put it down. Catherine, especially. One of the best games last gen.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    Sick days in school my mom would take me across the highway from the road we lived on to Bay Video. I always rented nes games. For some reason marble madness was the one I always went for if I was sick.

A few years ago I had purchased a milk crate of nes games at a yardsale and low and behold, there it was. Marble Madness with the Bay Video sticker on the back. It is one of my priceless games. I love having that big part of my gaming history and nostalgia in my collection.
    When I read this thread title one of the first memories that came to me was a sick day back in the 3rd grade (1999/2000). It was a friday and I was fighting a nasty cold, the kind where it feels like your nostrils are closing off. I went into town with my dad because he had to stock some of his vending machines. Afterwards, we stopped at the local video store, which still carried a decent amount of Snes/Genesis stuff at the time. We owned an N64 and a Dreamcast then, but the older games were 3 for 5. My dad picked out College Slam and I picked out DKC 3 and Aladdin. We had rented both Slam and DKC 3 before but Aladdin was a new game for me. That night I was messing around with the password screen and actually input the final level password totally by accident, which I still remember: Aladdin, Jasmine, Abu, Saltan.

A few months later the store started selling off a large portion of their Snes/Genesis titles for 2.99 each. That leads me to my next memory: going nuts whenever the local video store was selling their games. Back then I didn't have access to the dozen or so 2nd hand stores that are around now, so it was a prett big deal when it happened. It always seemed like I would discover these games the first day they went on sale. For the sale mentioned above, it was a Sunday morning in April 2000 and my mom and I were in town. I asked her if we could go to the video store and we arrived about when it opened. I'll never forget the rush of excitement at seeing all those resealed snes/genesis boxes lined up on the shelves. I rushed back to the car and breathlessly asked my mom if I could have 5 dollars and ran back in and purchased Virtual Bart. Not the greatest game, mind you, but at that age, being the Simpsons fan I was, It was destined to be mine. My brothers and I had rented it before and we really liked the Tomato/Egg throwing level. Some of the other titles I remember purchasing later during that sale were College Slam, Ultimate MK 3 and Fatal Fury 2/Special.

That video stores sold off the last of their Snes/Genesis games in the Fall of 2002, and that time I rescued:

Snes (boxed):
    Aladdin - Same copy I rented a few years prior. Front label's torn and the back half of the cartridge is yellow, but I have no desire to replace it. Box is in great shape though.
    Cool Spot
    The Mask
    Super Bomberman 2

Genesis (boxed except for Dragon, which was complete):
    Battletoads Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team
    Pink Panther Goes to Hollywood
    Earthworm Jim 2
    Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

I have many more stories like this with that same video store, but this post is long enough for now. Man, thank you for bringing back such fond memories. Makes me wish I could go back to those times.
    Last edited by Doonzmore; 03-06-2014 at 02:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks guys,this is great,i like hearing yalls stories,and it gives me ideas for games to get,haha

ive got aladdin for snes,it is a fun game,i actually beat it a few times,but it is a fun game to play

yea i had a buddy that cud beat games quickly,i always had trouble beating games,and i had a short attention span,i wud play another game fore i finished the last one,but i really didnt beat that many games growing up,wish i did

and 007 nightfire,the multiplayer mode is actually similar to golden eye,it is fun, lots of different weapns and stuff,and those guided missles,haha

i knew my sig was to big,sry mods
    Last edited by RoleyDre; 03-06-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post

That's an awesome story! I love ones like this.

My copy of Chrono Trigger the the one I picked up when the rental place I went to as a kid was selling off their older stuff. I was in high school at that point and had some cash, I wish I'd picked up more stuff when it was being sold off now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Well I still go to my video store every week! We still have a big chain of video stores called Videotron Superclub in Quebec, and they have good sales too, just bought 20 blu ray movies at 3.33 a piece of recent movies like the great gatsby, pain and gain, etc. Half the store is called Microplay and they sell and rent videogames, kinda like EB games, but better!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Well I still go to my video store every week! We still have a big chain of video stores called Videotron Superclub in Quebec, and they have good sales too, just bought 20 blu ray movies at 3.33 a piece of recent movies like the great gatsby, pain and gain, etc. Half the store is called Microplay and they sell and rent videogames, kinda like EB games, but better!
    man,that is cool as shat,wish i had a store i cud go to like that,3.33 each for a blu ray... thats practically a steal,man thats awesome

haha,chronotrigger,one of my friends played that game,i never saw him play it though,he jst told me about it,he said it was pretty epic,its pretty expensive last time i saw it...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RoleyDre View Post
    man,that is cool as shat,wish i had a store i cud go to like that,3.33 each for a blu ray... thats practically a steal,man thats awesome

haha,chronotrigger,one of my friends played that game,i never saw him play it though,he jst told me about it,he said it was pretty epic,its pretty expensive last time i saw it...
    My roommate has a copy. A few xmas's ago he gave me his old SNES and a stack of games, altogether valuing at over $100, so that was real cool, and one of those games was Chrono Trigger. I mentioned it a few months later, when he asked which games he gave me, and says, "fuck, i gave u chrono trigger? I meant to keep that." But not cuz of its value, he wanted to keep it for sentimental reasons, he wanted to hold on to all his Squaresoft games. Yea. That's a real gamer. Needless to say, I gave it back to him. He did give me some great games tho, and it started my SNES collection off well,

DK Country 1, Mega Man X, Killer Instinct, Street Fighter II Turbo, Ren & Stimpy Veediots, and a few others.