Thread: Any theory’s on the price increase for Run Saber SNES?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any theory’s on the price increase for Run Saber SNES?

"ITs Da GoDDamn EBAY ReSellers!"

Ok, so here's a bit of an interesting price spike as seen on Price Charting.com. This game went from pretty much being a basement price SNES game, sub ~$5 to being a $35 game. Other games have had larger price increases but nothing I can find started at the very lowest end of the spectrum and jumped that much in the same time period.

I picked up this game recently at a Flea Market booth of mostly over priced games. I have never hear of it before but what caught my attention is it says nice and large ATLUS. I looked it up, have favorable reviews, was co-op, so something I definitely would play and at a good price.

So what do you think would make a game jump in price like this? The ATLUS name getting more well known? Co-op games being more popular now? Some internet reviews popping up and shedding some light on an obscure game? Or something else besides the normal price jumps SNES games are getting?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess is that word got out about the game after some popular people played it on their channel (Game Grumps and others) and pretty much got the word out about the game so people rushed to buy it driving the price up. Another game that I think had a drastic price increase is Mega Turrican for the Sega Genesis.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think there was a feature done much like Cinemassacre did with Hagane and a few others that got attention pulled towards it due to the solid play and strong ties to being a Strider ripoff for SNES. Combine that with fears over when the last row of exposed games had their prices shoot through the roof, game collecting types and then speculators snapped up a bunch of copies as they lacked it, or wanted to see what happens, and then well it happened and the price went up and up. I was pretty annoyed over it as I had the game but let it go to get something else not much before the pop it took upwards and then I wanted it back and I couldn't stomach a game that was a solid $5-10 title for a crap load of years went into the $30-50 area so I still don't have it and won't until I find it at the correct price.

So yeah in a way, you joked it, but yeah ...damned resellers are a part of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Run Saber is a good game. Maybe that's why? *whistles*
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the popularity boost from Youtube videos has increased the price by increasing demand. Before it was a under the radar game but the increased exposure of it on the internet, mostly Youtube, increased demand to exceptional heights. It does seem ridiculous that the price has increased into the $35 range but if you really want the game then either wait for the price to drop once demand decreases, or just pay the cash because $35 isn't really that bad in the grand scheme of things considering the money that people spend.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

With it priced at under $40 it's still not too bad. When I saw this thread I thought it was a $100+ game, like so many other games are becoming.

I'm still annoyed with Aero Fighters. I passed on it years ago for $4.99 plus tax, now it's a $300+ game. I actually want to play it now which is what really bugs me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So "Strider: budget edition Snes" is no longer all that affordable? Oh the irony.... Few years back this game was pretty cheap. Was a good game, but in no way would I ever pick it over Strider, or pay more then $10-15 over it. It was a tad easy too. If $40 is now the going rate just skip it and put the money towards better stuff. If you really are dead set on buying the game, try it out on emu for a couple hours first, just to be sure. You may find yourself beating it on your first or second run and decide it isn't worth the cash.

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, web exposure nowadays really seems to actually significantly change the price of certain games, of course not rarity but demand increases as every sheep in the herds eyes are glued to their smartphones 97.46% of their day and perusing "hidden SNES gems" videos by the dozens. i suppose it's a give and take; it definitely is unfortunate when the price for the cart increases, but also there is a genuine value in finding out about games you didn't know about. I love Plok on SNES, Rescue Rangers on NES, Do Re Mi Fantasy on SFC and so forth and those games i was only aware of after net-surfing, so i am glad i found em and that there's a resource that sheds light on obscure or overlooked games. it's probably also "dem damn resellers", and a million other reasons too, but i think there's always a plus and minus to the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    With it priced at under $40 it's still not too bad. When I saw this thread I thought it was a $100+ game, like so many other games are becoming.

I'm still annoyed with Aero Fighters. I passed on it years ago for $4.99 plus tax, now it's a $300+ game. I actually want to play it now which is what really bugs me.
    Shit man dont' remind me. >:\ That's the very last SNES game I used to own from the 90s I do not have back currently because the $300-400 price on it is pure bullshit. It's those damn online videos puffing it up like Hagane and the others and then the related but not collaborative efforts of resellers and fanboys wanting stuff (supply and immediate no-thinking demand at any price) that put it where it is. I had bought it used in the middle 90s for $10 with the poster and manual. At this rate I'd be happy if I got the stupid game for a quarter of what it costs now. For me it is just a fun shooter that randomizes the stage contents a bit which keeps it fresh and I could give a shit if it's expensive or not other than it me having to pay that much to go it as if I had it, I'd keep it along with other spendy carts I have now I wont(in a few cases) part with just because of the dumb price because if they were $5-20 games they'd be gone.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I think there was a feature done much like Cinemassacre did with Hagane and a few others that got attention pulled towards it due to the solid play and strong ties to being a Strider ripoff for SNES. Combine that with fears over when the last row of exposed games had their prices shoot through the roof, game collecting types and then speculators snapped up a bunch of copies as they lacked it, or wanted to see what happens, and then well it happened and the price went up and up. I was pretty annoyed over it as I had the game but let it go to get something else not much before the pop it took upwards and then I wanted it back and I couldn't stomach a game that was a solid $5-10 title for a crap load of years went into the $30-50 area so I still don't have it and won't until I find it at the correct price.

So yeah in a way, you joked it, but yeah ...damned resellers are a part of it.
    With the whole Youtube reviewer hypothesis, you guys think that the problem might not be that they show these games to the eye of the common public, but rather that they promote the false stigma of Roms and using Flash-carts?, since most of these reviewers always go out of their way (whenever is intentionally or not) that you MUST own the original cartridge at any cost?

And let's not forget the excuse of "Supply and Demand" and that they think Ebay prices are right

At times it makes me think i should not go on Game Reviewing, because instead of helping people to play the game, i will only encourage to scalpers to keep these damn speculator epidemic.

Post Edit : OK Look, i think we should be fair, i don't think the game reviewers aren't much of the problem, in fact most of them are honest good people that just want to do the favor or letting us know about really good titles we should try, that's not and shouldn't be part of the problem in the long run, the issue is, the speculators (fan-boys, hipsters and Scalper Resellers) that are just looking for any "un-common" title out of the poster boy's box, and driven the prices and forcing this false idea that supply and demand justifies the means, i understand that many of these reviewers want to be hardcore to the point of adopting the false stigma of Roms and Emulation, or maybe they honestly believe in the stigma of the legal side, therefore most of them are afraid to speak in favor of emulation alternatives, but think about this.

Which one is far more damaging.

Someone downloading a ROM of an over 20+ old game that might have been forgotten in the sands of time to play, because they are "stealing" (in spite of the site that stealing, is literally, STEALING, not copying).

or that same person does overpay more than 15 USD for a copy of the game, and heck, most cases aren't even like that anymore, many people are willing to pay for over 50+ USD for a 20+ year old game! and such money doesn't go to teh company (who most likely doesn't care and probably doesn't even remember that property, AND probably such compani doesn't even exist anymore!?) but to some guy who probably got it for 3 USD but has no interest on the medium?

The Solution should be to not pretend this is a smoke screen issue and stepping out of the comfort zone bubble and understand why Emulation alternatives exist, flascarts included.

And if you are reviewing a obscure game that nobody has ever heard of, stop being scared of speaking in favor of emulation alternatives if you honestly believe that paying those damn BIN's prices at Ebay and buying from shady scalpers is not worth with, with most honest good people who knows better should know.

And one more important reason why, think, How the fuck you think games like Monster World IV and the original Shantae got enough cult following to allowing the legal download releases of such games on VC and in shantae's case, SEQUELS after many MANY years after the original's didnt sold and flopped?
    Last edited by Gatucaman; 03-08-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If you really want to play Aero Fighters, get the SFC version Sonic Wings. It's like a $15 game last I checked.
    Or the PSN version for even cheaper if you still can.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

If I really wanted to play it I could just emulate it, but I'd rather wait until I find another copy of the North American release. I'll come across it again at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Japanese version of Aero Fighters is often cheaper.Still i agree the price for the u.s version has gotten insane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Run Saber also seems to be an NTSC/North American exclusive, so maybe some people in other regions are getting it too.

Interesting game - I play it now and then - though I felt like it runs out of steam by the time you get to that goofy jungle.
    Supergun + PCB is the way, my man (unless there is some kind of exclusive thing going on I didn't know about, or maybe people like to play vert games in yoko format, bleh).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Run Saber came out in the PAL/EU market, so only the Japanese got left out of this one. A nice turn of events if you think of it from that era. :P

I need to get it back, it was mindless slashy fun. But for now I'm crusading for Ogre Battle which is going to be a bitch for a price that's fair (sub $60) since the rumor (fact?) on wikipedia being spread is that only 25000 copies were printed and sold by Enix. It could be true because that is 1995 and Enix bailed on the US for a few years around that time if I remember right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's just speculation, something gets hot and then everyone wants it so price goes up. Eventually more sellers get into the market and the price levels off or begins to cool at least. That's because it isn't that rare, so there will be plenty of copies to go around after the hype wears off.

Another SNES title that went through a similar price spike (percentage wise) was Firepower 2000. Not sure what was so special about that one either, just hype can strike pretty quick.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A similar thing happened To Guardian Legend on NES. I think it was Mike at cinemassacre that put it number 1 on some list and then the price exploded everywhere. It eventually calmed back down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hype is definitely key but also annoying shit like some newbie not doing research paying high on a game can cause a run for it. I've been looking at grabbing a copy of Ogre Battle recently and within the last week ONE dipshit paid a $110 BIN on the game, prior to that depending on label, rental sticker, or ink damage you saw it in the $50/60 range and $60-65 ish without it being jacked up. Now every greedy bastard who has posted since that one paid is asking a bare minimum of $75 with a $110 BIN on it or straight up asking $100+ for the loose cart. Check the buying history before it, it just went BOOM over that. Will it stay up? I have no idea. Will it fall once those greedy idiots see it was a fluke, hopefully.

Just like Guardian Legend and Firepower it just takes one or two morons to screw it up for everyone else because it gives sellers hope they can get more too and not just accept the going rate. It's made worse on ebay since they removed the posting and relisting fees because now there's no gamble in paying on an item that doesn't sell so you can just sit on it until you're fed up or pull it.