Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underrated PS1 Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Underrated PS1 Games

What would you say are some underrated PS1 games that come to mind?

For me, it would have to be Test Drive 5 because it was way more fun than Gran Turismo.

What would you say are some good and underrated PS1 games?
    Last edited by GhostDog; 03-11-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

I don't know if the games I'm going to mention are so much underrated as under appreciated but I'm going to go with 2xtreme, overblood & fear effect series

Fear effect, especially part 2 holds up remarkably for its age and has a really cool cyberpunk feel mixed with Chinese legend. It sold decently but no one ever talks about this game anymore. Even when it released i don't remember too many people talking about it or when they did it wasn't to praise it.

2xtreme was the best in the series in my eyes partly due to still using sprite based graphics, 3xtreme was fun too but the soundtrack is literally rape in your ears. Hands down worst soundtrack of all time, the game also lost something in the way of charm when it went full polygon.

Overblood just needs to be played more, never met anyone in my life who's played it or even heard of it. One of the first games that ever hit me right in the feels (pipo, nooooooooooooooooo!!!)
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fear Effect definately does hold up, the graphic style is real great. I have trouble with those games tho cuz they have the same sort of controls as the early Resident Evils where it takes u forever to turn the character around. Idk why, I just always found that so frustrating in Resident Evil, and I suck at it.

I'm gonna mention Speed Punks, which is a great kart-racing game, and Mort The Chicken. Mort is a nifty little platformer that's pretty ignored, cuz it's no Crash Bandicoot, but it is a lotta fun. The levels don't vary too much, but the story and humor to it just keeps u playing cuz its real funny, and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Jet Moto. When my mom passed away in January, 1997, I stood in my room for about a week and pretty much didn't do much of anything. Well, long story short, my best friend Vinnie picked me up and took me to his apartment to stay in NJ for a week, to get me out of the house.

His roommate Kenny had the PS1, which I hadn't played much before. While I played most or all of his games while I was staying over, there are only two games that stood out enough to remember fondly. Jet Moto was one of them. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and every time I bring it up to someone, they always say they never heard of it.

Just in case anyone is curious, the other game I remember playing over there was Crash Bandicoot, but that at least is known by almost everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice. More Fear Effect fans. I really like the game I still haven `t passed it. Due to being too tough for me. I got stuck near the zombie island or village. I tried playing again and that first boss was a pain, so Im like fuck it.I remember picking it up randomnly just after school and on my way to work.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I really like demolition racer for some reason on PSX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Rogue trip. It's like twisted metal, but better! I remember me and my friends played this game a lot, I will have to pick it up when I see it havent played it in a decade.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZspfGuSK-Q

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I am a big fan of Beyond the Beyond though most people look at it as mediocre in terms of RPGs because they don't like having to do a lot of grinding. I on the other hand find the grinding to be the fun part of the game. It's a rewarding challenge to make it through a dungeon alive. I also really like the art style which fans of the Shining Force series should recognize.

Do the King's Field games get much praise? I love the exploration involved.

Super Bubble Pop is a fun addictive puzzle game and very cheap to buy too.

Roll Away is a great maze-like puzzle solver too.

And Vandal-Hearts... why doesn't it have more fans. It's like Final Fantasy Tactics before Final Fantasy Tactics existed, except it has a much more interesting story.

Courier Crisis is a pretty fun newspaper delivery game with a great soundtrack if you like punk rock.

Incredible Crisis is a really quirky game full of multi-genre mini games with a story and character reactions that would make plenty of people laugh.

I always thought Spider: The Video Game was a fun platformer even though I never had a chance to finish it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought that The Italian Job was excellent. Fun game and technically impressive.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres so many. Punky Skunk is a cool 2D platformer, great graphics sorta like Tomba, only not expensive. Fun game. Jet Moto is great, so is San Francisco Rush. Idk how it compares to the N64 version, but its a fantastic arcade-style racer a lot like Cruisin' USA. Idk how well-known it is, but I hadn't heard of it.

The Driver series is fun, altho not really too underrated.

Asteroids is actually really stylishly done on the Playstation.

2xtreme was ok, altho I was a huge Tony Hawk player back then. I also had Thrasher: Skate and Destroy, cuz I was into skateboarding back then. It was Thrasher Magazine's video game. Again, tho, Tony Hawk was the only one to really do it right.

Coolboarders was a fun series, idk if those were unknown.

We also used to play a buncha Criticom, which is an early 3D fighing game, also on the Saturn. We used to laugh at how bad it was, but thinking back now, it wasn't so bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    Theres so many. Punky Skunk is a cool 2D platformer, great graphics sorta like Tomba, only not expensive. Fun game. Jet Moto is great, so is San Francisco Rush. Idk how it compares to the N64 version, but its a fantastic arcade-style racer a lot like Cruisin' USA. Idk how well-known it is, but I hadn't heard of it.

The Driver series is fun, altho not really too underrated.

Asteroids is actually really stylishly done on the Playstation.

2xtreme was ok, altho I was a huge Tony Hawk player back then. I also had Thrasher: Skate and Destroy, cuz I was into skateboarding back then. It was Thrasher Magazine's video game. Again, tho, Tony Hawk was the only one to really do it right.

Coolboarders was a fun series, idk if those were unknown.

We also used to play a buncha Criticom, which is an early 3D fighing game, also on the Saturn. We used to laugh at how bad it was, but thinking back now, it wasn't so bad.
    Cool Boarders seemed like a well known series up to Cool Boarders 3 and after that became irrelevant. I remember seeing Cool Boarders 2 everywhere and then Cool Boarders 3 came out and I remember really liking it. I played the demo a ton of times before I actually purchased the game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    Cool Boarders seemed like a well known series up to Cool Boarders 3 and after that became irrelevant. I remember seeing Cool Boarders 2 everywhere and then Cool Boarders 3 came out and I remember really liking it. I played the demo a ton of times before I actually purchased the game.
    Yea my friend had Coolboarders 2, and I told my mom to get it for me when she was asking what games to get me or the xmas she got me the PS1. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Among those games was Metal Gear Solid, which blew me away. Then I bought 3 from my friend for $5.

I bought a whole buncha games from him, like Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, even Point Blank and Time Crisis with the Namco guns. Wish I still had those. I sold off my collection, and later on bought back almost all the games I owned from Gamestop, or EB Games or whatever it was then, when the Ps2 hit the scene. The few that I'm missing are Point Blank, Time Crisis, Criticom, and Jet Moto 2. I still have all of those Gamestop games, the most valuable being a black-label Silent Hill, that I paid maybe $10 for. It's not a super valuable game now, but it's definately gone up since then, which is cool.

Does anyone else remember this time?? EB Games was actually selling NES games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So many PS1 era games need to be revived. Is there any good reason why there hasn't been another Jet Moto game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gunswordfist View Post
    So many PS1 era games need to be revived. Is there any good reason why there hasn't been another Jet Moto game?
    Who knows but reviving popular games from the past doesn't work as well as it sounds. Too many people are into current popular franchises or want new franchises. I don't see a Jet Moto game selling well these days if it's brought back. Most of the gamers from the 90s that grew up with Jet Moto probably don't follow gaming as they once used to and selling an updated Jet Moto to a new audience will probably fail. Jet Moto seemed great in the past but making a new one will just seem silly and will probably flop sales wise and hit bargain bins almost instantly.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 03-10-2014 at 03:39 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Intelligent Qube - my favorite ps1 puzzle game with an epic soundtrack.

Vigilante 2nd Offence - a funTwisted Metal style game with fun levels to play on.

And even though it has a large cult following. I think Abes Oddworld games should get more praise than they did. Oddworld for some reason has the Tim Schaefer effect. Great games, but its almost as if people dont take to the games quick enough. Its like the developers move on and abandon the idea for sequels before the fans can tell them they did a great job. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

parasite eve, i have never played the second one ,but this game is pretty good rpg,i do like the story as well, its about mitochondria,pretty interesting....

few more that i think are good

dino crisis,was one of my favs to rent and play

raiden project,total awesome topview airplane shooter,awesome game!!!!

need for speed :high stakes
    Last edited by RoleyDre; 03-10-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Blood Lines was a pretty fun, simple multiplayer game back in the day. Not sure how it holds up though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocK5V-Mx8kI

Also spent a lot of time on the yaroze games Super Bub and Gravitation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I have always considered Nectaris to be way under appreciated - with the various modes of play it offers a lot of bang for the buck. The original Military Madness is as fun as ever and the new scenarios are (mostly) much more challenging than the older ones. In addition to the need for strategy, the new scenarios often play out as puzzle scenarios - exactly how do you get to the factories you need in order to muster enough strength to win? The only complaint I have with Nectaris is that they didn't add Neo-Nectaris (I would gladly have paid more if it needed an extra disc).

Another one that I have always liked is Echo Night - it is very slow paced game that has no sense of urgency other than learning more about the storyline. When I saw the 2002 movie "Ghost Ship" it reminded me a lot of Echo Night in the way that the crew's interactions with the ghosts unfolded the storyline. The one really odd thing about the game is the race style ending that was tacked on in a rather jarring fashion. Just didn't fit the rest of the gameplay.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone ever play Sled Storm? It seems like a fun game and I remember got a 4 out of 5 in PSM and got really good scores from EGM.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 03-11-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post

And Vandal-Hearts... why doesn't it have more fans. It's like Final Fantasy Tactics before Final Fantasy Tactics existed, except it has a much more interesting story.
    Vandal Hearts was certainly a good game - the Vandalier was way too strong though. Vandal Hearts II had a much deeper story (although it got tedious on replays) IMHO and would have been a masterpiece if it hadn't had that miserable battle system.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!