Thread: Most Exciting 5-Years of Gaming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Most Exciting 5-Years of Gaming

What are the most exciting five consecutive years of gaming for you? From what year to what year? For me it's 1993-1997: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 03-22-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

I would have to say '92-'97. That period covered the height of the Genny/SNES war as well as the great paradigm shift from 2D to 3D gaming.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

1980 - 1985 for me. I was thinking about this the other day, but as a 10 year period, which for me was easily the entire 80's decade. In that time frame I owned my favorite consoles and computers - Atari 2600, Tandy Color Computer, NES, Genesis and TG-16 (although those final two were barely in the 80's)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post
    I would have to say '92-'97. That period covered the height of the Genny/SNES war as well as the great paradigm shift from 2D to 3D gaming.
    Very good years indeed. Those years may have been my second choice but had to stretch out the years to get to the Dreamcast years. Gaming up to 1997 was so great as it was but then the Dreamcast and all the Naomi games came into development soon after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I'd have to go 1996-2001 myself. '96 saw the launch of the N64 which gave us Mario 64 and the start of the whole 3D revolution. 2001 brought that to a sort-of natural conclusion with GTA3- the game that spawned a billion imitators. And in-between you have a collection of games the likes of which people had never before seen- FF7-9, Zelda OoT and MM, Shenmue, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 1 & 2, MGS, Quake 1-3, Starcraft- the list could go on forever. Sure, other eras had their own greats, but for me, no gaming era will ever come close to 1996-2001.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1988 to 1992. Before that I was into PC gaming which was rather annoying with shovelware crap games and their incredibly slow loading times. NES was instant gaming and so much better all around. So I ended with with dozens and dozens of great games to play on the system for most of these years. Then towards the end I was looking forward to getting the SNES and Super Mario World. The SNES was good, but I was really into the NES much more. Gaming systems after that was always hit or miss for me, never quite like the golden NES era which is what I enjoyed the most.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have to say like 93/94 - 2000 ( i know this is more than 5 years)

but PC gaming exploded with games like doom, duke 3d, quake (1, 2 and 3).

Online gaming took off with Kali, TEN, etc.

3d acceleration took off and we got awesome games like GL Quake and what not.

System Shock 2 came out...

I fell out with consoles during this time. The games just couldn't top what the PC was offering, not by a long shot. Mods, level editors and everything else. I remember people my freshman year of college all on consoles and my PC was still blowing them away.
    Last edited by bigbacon; 03-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    I'd have to go 1996-2001 myself. '96 saw the launch of the N64 which gave us Mario 64 and the start of the whole 3D revolution. 2001 brought that to a sort-of natural conclusion with GTA3- the game that spawned a billion imitators. And in-between you have a collection of games the likes of which people had never before seen- FF7-9, Zelda OoT and MM, Shenmue, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 1 & 2, MGS, Quake 1-3, Starcraft- the list could go on forever. Sure, other eras had their own greats, but for me, no gaming era will ever come close to 1996-2001.
    Excellent choice. I have a bunch of EGMs from 1996 and just looked through the November 1996 issue and there was definitely a lot to get excited about in that year. 1996 was an amazing year for arcades and consoles and it only got better until 1999 hit with the hype of the Dreamcast and began sizzling out until 2000 which is where I feel the glory of gaming ended for me.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 03-10-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

There are quite a few, but I'd say 1987-1992 were by far the top years for me. NES, SMS, Atari XE GS, Turbo Grafx 16 (and CD-ROM), Game Boy, Lynx Genesis, Super Nintendo, and even the Neo-Geo were all owned by me, as soon as they were released. Yes, I was a spoiled brat, but I loved every minute of it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    This was also the most exciting time for me, not cuz it was the best video game period, which it wasn't, imo, and it isn't my favorite, but it was the first time I'd owned my very first console, which was the Playstation. That made it the most exciting. And we also owned an N64 as well. I had played a lot of NES and Genesis before this, prolly since '91, but I'd never owned my own console till this era.

Suddenly I'd be going over my friends houses renting games all the time, I had a subscription to the Playstation Magazine, I wish I still had them all, and the demo discs which came with each one. I remember playing Metal Gear Solid, and being blown away when I finally beat it. Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Goldeneye, Mariokart, tonsa fun multiplayer games, tonsa FPS's, before the market was dominated by 2 franchises, COD and Halo. It was my golden age of gaming, although my favorite today is still when the NES ruled the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post
    I just changed my choice to the same years as you. Looking through old EGM issues from 1992-1997 made me realize just how great games really were on both consoles and arcades. I lost a lot of interest in console gaming from 1998-2000 because I yearned for other things in life and mostly only arcades got me excited at that time. 1992-1997 were the wonder years where video games on both consoles and arcades provided euphoric experiences like nothing else. Great years indeed.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 03-17-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Considering there was a chunk of time in which there were sadly no video games in my house, it'd have to be a post-SNES period for me, if going by what I played in my chosen years as opposed to purely release dates, since I didn't have 5 consecutive years of gaming prior to that period of no games. So I'm gonna go with '94-'99. I got my SNES in '93, but I think the selection of games for SNES in '92 and '93 was kind of so-so (no big surprise that Genesis took the lead). '94 is where I perceive a grand resurgence for the SNES, when the developers really stepped it up and started using the hardware to its fullest. The vast majority of my SNES favorites come from this tail end of the system's life. Then came the magic and excitement of the 3D transition, specifically the N64 for me. Super Mario 64 blew my mind. By the time we got to '99, I was really expanding my gaming horizons. I got a PlayStation, my first non-Nintendo system, I played Star Ocean 2, which would become my favorite game and favorite series, and I started my retro gaming and collecting, by tracking down my childhood NES favorites and making them my own. These are just a few of the highlights of these 5 years for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) HardcoreOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1988-1993 ftw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreOtaku View Post
    1988-1993 ftw
    Not bad, not bad. Late 80s is when arcade and console games really started getting good in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Most exciting for me? Oh man. I want to say maybe 1988-1993. While I was playing video games for a while, it wasn't until I got my NES and discovered read the different magazines on the racks that I took more of an interest in the hobby. This was also the time where discovered PC gaming when I moved away from my CoCo and embraced my IBM PC compatible 8088 that I upgraded with a VGA card and an 8-bit Sound Blaster card. Police Quest, Lemmings, Civilization, Pirates!, Covert Action, Light Speed, Wing Commander (which worked decent on 10 MHz Turbo)...the list goes on. By the end of this time frame I got a 486 SX 25 which made my jaw drop at what I could play.

There were good moments later on but that transition was quite the time for me.