Thread: How do you broadcas classic games on twitch.tv?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default How do you broadcas classic games on twitch.tv?

I want to star a stream but i'm unsire how to broadcast these classic game consoles. I understand I need a twitch account, software, and a capture device. But I am unsure what a good capture device is. I am using a laptop and even though I read internal captures are the best, I doubt one will fit in my Alienware laptop. Is there a good external usb device with at least av and s-video jacks? And would be nice it it had componet or HDMI as well.

What would probably be the best software/hardware combination fro someone who wants to do mainly classic game consoles and possible PS3? Cost effective alternatives that provide a decent quality would be best. I want my channel to be watchable.
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i would imagine a modern laptop of any kind should be able to handle older games, the highest res you'll most likely stream those games at is 240p/480i
    an old tv tuner (NTSC or PAL depending on where your at) should be more than enough to get composite/rf

in terms of software I know some one that has good luck with Open Broadcaster/

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Check out some vendors like Pinnacle and Hauppauge; they make A/V capture devices. Also try to find people who have used specific models on the specific operating system you run to get an idea how well they work. For example my Pinnacle Dazzle works perfectly on Linux but most people that use Windows 7 have massive problems getting the audio capture to work for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I use a Elgato (HDMI) and then have the PSX going from AV to HDMI out convertor that plugs into the elgato. Works great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SeriousAtari

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    What would probably be the best software/hardware combination fro someone who wants to do mainly classic game consoles and possible PS3? Cost effective alternatives that provide a decent quality would be best. I want my channel to be watchable.
    You might want to look at Xsplit for software. I've only used it for recording, but it is made for streaming, and allows multi input.

I will be interested to learn more about what you find that works best for you and how it goes. I have some interest in doing something similar.

Please also let me know when you go live. I'm on twitter @SeriousAtari
    High Score webmaster