Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has the Rise of Retro Gaming affected Current-Gen Gaming?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If games like Titanfall succeed, then the 8th gen will be forgotten. Game discs will be worthless since the required online infraestructure will no longer be available.
    Genesis does what Nintendon't

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kikenovic View Post
    Good point. If there is a time to collect for the PS2/Xbox that is now. Next decade all those 6th gen kids (even those who weren't part of it) will jack up the prices.
    No need to wait that long, just look on YouTube. All the videos saying "collect Xbox/PS2 now." Our generation is already jacking those prices up. I never did like the "look at my OMG RAREZ! videos, this is the generation trying to prove who has the bigger e-peen. I literally just saw someone post a picture on a Facebook group I'm on of Little Samson, F2, Duck Tales 2, Cheetamen, Panzer Dragoon Saga (US) and a few more like that with the caption, "Found these at a garage sale, are they any good ?" Ugh.

I would say retro gaming has affected modern gaming in a negative way as now you can find games that just came out on Ebay being slabbed and listed for $5,000, making the casual gamer think he has something worth a damn. Retro gaming has also been very positive to modern gaming because of the added sensibilities, taking the best elements of the past and fusing them with the current, having modern developers realize that a large majority of us still do want a 2D Castlevania or Metroid.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post

By the way, ET on 2600 is unplayable, mainly cuz the developer tried to make a game way too complicated for what the Atari could handle. If he'd just kept it simple, it woulda been a hit. It's actually meant to be a story-based game that u beat, its just that the time it came out, it was way too early for a game like that. His idea prolly coulda worked well 10 or 15 years later, tho. Yea, that's right, I'm defending ET. The developer has said he had a creative vision and didn't wanna make just another pac-man clone. I respect that. I think it was just the technology wasn't there yet with that game.

But with Ninja Breadman, the developers failed so miserably to create a game that was in a style that the Wii was just built for. Shit, it coulda been made for the N64 and woulda fit right in with every other failed 3D platformer of that generation. This game is AVGN quality.
    ET is far from unplayable though...it is just hated on because the internet told people to hate on it.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    ET is far from unplayable though...it is just hated on because the internet told people to hate on it.
    It isn't completely unplayable, perhaps, but it lacks the great gameplay of games like Maze Craze or Vanguard. I don't think it's the worst game ever, I think ur rite about it just being hated on cuz of the internet, but it's definately not that great a game at all. The graphics are actually pretty decent, I think, it's just that u put it in, and ur not sure wats going on or what to do, and it's confusing without a manual. Which I, myself, lack. I just think it woulda worked way better if this was on the NES, a system which could really handle more in-depth games with storylines much better.

Maybe it's just that I haven't played too many story-based Atari 2600 games, so Idk how good the Atari is with games like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    It hasn't yet become cool to like E.T.

It's terrible and unplayable and completely worthy of hatred.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    It hasn't yet become cool to like E.T.

It's terrible and unplayable and completely worthy of hatred.
    Pac-Man on Atari also played a significant role in the game crash of '83, but it's E.T that gets all the hatred. E.T. I think was just a great idea that was ahead of its time and executed as best it coulda been, prolly, but again, my opinion is the idea was too advanced for the hardware.

It really should be the decisions made by Atari surrounding E.T. that desserves the hatred, not the games. There's a million bad games out there, and the Atari has plenty of others. Ever try Golf? E.T. was just a huge disappointment cuz of the hype surrounding it, and its overproduction. This was Atari's doing. Other shitty Atari 2600 games were made but none of them are talked about cuz Atari didn't make decisions around those games like it did with E.T.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the way, Pac-Man on 2600 isn't that bad, imo, it was just over-hyped for its release and everyone expected arcade quality Pac-Man which is impossible on the 2600. It's mainly just the graphics which is the let-down on that one. Ms. Pac Man was better, tho.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the thing though, I bought E.T. and Pac-Man when I first got into the 2600 which was only a few years ago. I didn't know about Pac-Man's reputation or its place in video game history, and I didn't think the game was that bad. I did know about the E.T. story, and perhaps it skewed my views on the game. I think the E.T graphics are pretty good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just as an FYI, you can edit your posts so that you don't have to post 3 replies in a row

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    By the way, Pac-Man on 2600 isn't that bad, imo, it was just over-hyped for its release and everyone expected arcade quality Pac-Man which is impossible on the 2600. It's mainly just the graphics which is the let-down on that one. Ms. Pac Man was better, tho.
    Never say never. This homebrew remake uses a simple 4k ROM just like the original but plays nearly as good as the arcade classic (and is certainly more intense than the defacto NES port):
    http://atariage.com/store/index.php?..._detail&p=1010