Thread: Does anyone know of a good repository for power save .srm or .sav files for classic consoles?

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Does anyone know of a good repository for power save .srm or .sav files for classic consoles?

Specifically I am looking for power saves for various SNES and Genesis games, and other systems if you have 'em. My friend and I cheated our way through Sonic3 + Knuckles and almost got to the end of the game, only for the game to delete our precious save file when I attempted to play it again. I recently acquired a Retron backup and I also use flash carts occasionally. I was wondering if someone had a "loaded" save file for Sonic3+Knuckles. For instance if someone has a SRM dump with all levels finished and 14 chaos emeralds on separate save files with Sonic, Tailes, Sonic + Tails, and Knuckles, that would be awesome. I'm also looking for "everything unlocked" or "100% complete" save files for other various classic games, but I can't seem to find much online. Plenty of stuff for Wii and DS and other modern consoles, but classic consoles not so much. Mostly people just distribute save states which are emulator specific and won't work with Retrode or Flash carts. Also useful for backup when replacing dead batteries and other goodies. I'll be the first to admit I'm a lazy gamer but I would just love to upload some loaded savegames onto the SRAMs on my retro carts. If I'm somehow violating the rules, please lock, but since SRAM dump files don't normally contain actual game code, I thought it would be alright to upload or link to files.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

You could just load up a savestate in an emulator, let the emulator generate the sram battery files, then copy the battery files the emulator creates over to your retrode to write the file or copy it onto the SD card of your flash cart.

Zophar's Domain does have a section for Super Nintendo SRAM data:

http://www.zophar.net/savestates.html
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. I'd almost forgotten about Zophar's Domain. I used to use that site a ton back in the day, but in recent years the emulators, tools, and downloads have been so outdated that I quit using it. They've got a nice repository of SRMs for SNES. I copied the "101%" save file to my Donkey Kong Country SNES cart as well as "all gold trophies" for Super Mario Kart. I need to get a copy of Super Mario World so I can have a nice 96 star save file to put on it (I have SMW/All Stars + World with my original save files from years back but I'm not going to ruin my save - I haven't tested it yet with a multimeter but it's probably due for a new battery). And of course in addition to loading "power saves", the Retrode is also good for backing up the original game saves. Sadly it appears that the Retrode can only read but not write to Sonic 3 / Sonic 3 + Knuckles, possibly due to the fact it uses FRAM instead of SRAM. Besides Sonic 3 with or without the Knuckles Lock On, I don't have any other Genesis carts with saves that I actually care about. I may have corrupted it originally using bogus codes with the Game Genie, but there's a minty fresh save file of Sonic + Tails in Zone 2 that I made after I lost it all, so at least I know the FRAM chip still retains data.

Also I had a Mario 64 cart from back in the day that I unlocked 180 stars and maxed out 255 coin records for every level using a Game Shark v3.3. Sadly the Game Shark died and my Mario 64 got stolen, so I bought a new copy that only had the correct 120 stars on it. I'd love to get that maxed out save back just for nostalgia but the Retrode can't read/write N64 EEPROM saves and it doesn't appear as though support will be added in the future. Can't use the SD card save swap feature on the Retron5 either since it doesn't play N64 games, unless they make a shiny new N64 cartridge dongle for it. Hyperkin has an N64-related announcement at e3 this year so here's hoping...
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-23-2014 at 06:28 PM.