Thread: Genesis RGB Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis RGB Question

I have a long-term plan with my retro consoles: to have all of them set up to output RGB to a SCART cable, hook that into an SCART-->HDMI converter, and then send a nice 1080P signal to my HDTV. I know, I know, CRTs give one an authentic experience like I would have had in 1992, but I guess that isn't my number one concern. I'm more interested in having just one TV set and not having to make space for a bulky old CRT.

So on to my question. I know there are a whole lot of different Genesis models out there, some with varying levels of quality regarding their sound and video output. What I want to know is, would using RGB output bypass the RF modulator or video processor so that every Genesis console output an identical video signal? Or is there still reason to seek out one of the better units.

For what it is worth, I picked up a Model 2 Genesis at a Goodwill today for five bucks (but with no video cable or AC adapter ). This is the model for which I have the greatest nostalgia, but at a cost of five bucks I can also see fit to make the switch to a better unit in the future.

If you are curious about the process of converting RGB to HDMI for older consoles (Master System, Genesis, SNES primarily...at least for my interests), check out this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS55pmLIEjA

Thanks for reading!

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

You can find all that info here:
    http://retrorgb.com/systems.html

Another option, though, would be to go with what I use:
    http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    S-video and composite to HDMI converter. It looks great with my Saturn and should work with most of my consoles.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

RGB quality differences are normally associated with SNES or Neo Geo. By nature even on consoles composite is a travesty, the user can't see it when used as sync.
    But some professional monitors need clean sync.
    Lum fan.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Sounds like what you really need is an up converter. Why not look into picking up a used micomsoft xrgb, I saw a xrgb-3 unit for like 200 on ebay a few months back, thats a really good price for that unit
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Insert Coin (Level 0) ggallegos1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4811-7358-8350

The xrgb 3 is good for the price, but if you've got the money I would highly recommend the xrgb mini. It has HDMI output and a passthrough, as well as a simplified structure and some improvements over the XRGB3. Both are great for what they do, but the mini is newer and improved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think there is a difference between the various RGB outputs of the various Genesis models. I've seen RGB signals on just about every version but the CDX version. Even the Genesis 3 has good RGB output. (maybe the one I had was modded for rgb ?)

There of course, are tons of theories on which Genesis you get the best sound quality. Supposedly, it's a particular version of the Model 1 that has the best sound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the responses everyone.

The XRGB is a great piece of hardware, I am sure, but cost is an issue for me and when it comes down to it I can pick up the item referenced in the YouTube video, the CVID BG-460, from Amazon for $58.73 right now and it's new (link below for reference). Toss in a few cables and I'm still well under the $200 price for a used XRGB. Even if there is a difference in picture quality it would likely be minimal--the various videos and captures I've been able to find online have been very favorable.

It's true that RGB probably makes a bigger difference for the SNES, what with the higher resolution/color capability. I've got a SNES as well so with a switchbox that would also be hooked up (huzzah!).

As it stands right now, I picked up some cables today from a local retro game shop and successfully fired up the Genesis, and it works more or less alright (seems my game carts need some cleaning on the contacts, and probably the system too). Using the standard composite out looks alright on my current TV--a rather old HD CRT. The background gets blurry while scrolling and the pixels bleed a little bit. In the end, I'm not looking to recreate scanlines or decrease lag from 8ms to 6ms. I just want accurate colors and clean edges. Unless someone has had a negative experience with the CVID BG-460 I'll probably stay the course and go with that and be done.

To clarify my original question, what I meant was this: In my understanding, retro consoles such as the SNES and the Genesis (among others) initially rendered the images as pure, unadulterated RGB signals. For most users who had TVs that did not include an RGB hookup, they built in hardware to translate that RGB image to other formats, such as S-Video (good), Composite (okay), and RF (workable). Users with RGB capable displays used SCART cables to connect their displays, and the system would bypass the internal image modulator and output the pure RGB signal, resulting in a perfectly rendered image. Given this information, can anyone verify that the Sega Genesis models have the same image quality when using SCART cables, even if they might differ in other modes?

Regarding sound differences...well I must confess that I didn't know anyone back in the day who had an original model Genesis or anything besides the Genesis 2, therefore I doubt I'd ever notice a difference in sound quality based on my memory short of setting up a side by side comparison. I don't really see that happening anytime soon. And even so, if I ever decide to seek out a 32x or a SegaCD it will match the system better, unless I can only find the original Sega CD, which seems to be rarer in my experience.

Again, thanks for the responses. I'd welcome any additional input if anyone has some. Please excuse me for writing this much, I tend to ramble.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've never heard of the CVID BG-460, but I have personal experience with a Kramer FC-14 which can be had for pretty cheap on Ebay if you're patient. A Kramer FC-14 is an RGB to component transcoder. Basically, as long as your TV will accept component signals, the Kramer FC-14 should work. You would need your RGB cables to have a VGA like output connector, and then you plug that into the back of the Kramer FC-14, and then from the Kramer you go component to the TV. (You need 3 BNC adapters from radio shack to use standard component cables).

The quality is pretty damn good on the vast majority of gaming systems that I've tried. The only one that I've run into trouble with is the Atari Jaguar (picture is really dark for some reason). Everything else has looked really, really good. I used to own a XRGB2+, and honestly, the Kramer FC-14 is 90 percent of the quality of the XRGB2+. It just doesn't have all the extra bells and whistles. It doesn't allow you to really adjust anything. It just takes the RGB signal that you give it, and spits it out as component.

I got my Kramer FC-14 off Ebay for like $65. I see them on there from $50 to $150, but if you're patient, you should be able to find one for $80 or less. There are some other Kramer models that are just as good as the FC-14 or even better, and I'm not sure how much they go for, nor have I read up on them in regards to how good they are.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ggallegos1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4811-7358-8350

If RGB is all you want, then I'd suggest this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00988GMLG/...I3E7KCFRJ0DUTQ

Upscales RGB to HDMI, so long as you have a region-free cable. ProjectCOE.com and his youtube channel have a good video on it walking you through everything to ensure a trouble free setup. Witghout modding, the Genesis can output RGB so you should be good to go from there.

Edit: AFAIK, all Genesis models output the same RGB output. It's the SNES that has the RGB variations moreso than other systems, but I haven't heard much in terms of Genesis.