Thread: Amazon Fire TV

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Amazon Fire TV

Amazon Fire TV is available. It's going to be an entertainment device, but like the Vita TV and Ouya is going to also be gaming console.

That kind of sealed the deal for Sony's Vita TV which is now fucked in the west. Sony really should have got the Vita TV out in the west faster, because there was no other competition for those who wanted not only an entertainment device, but also a cheap gaming console. With Amazon's infrastructure how if you purchase movies, music, apps, games, etc, it's all saved in Amazon's cloud, plus the entertainment features more than likely being better than what's on Sony devices, and now console like gaming for cheap, the Vita no longer has an advantage over all the other streaming devices in the market. They're no longer going to get those extra sales they probably could have before this announcement.

The Vita TV pretty much has one small audience now. They all own Vitas or were already interested in the Vita.

Amazon Fire TV is $99 and has a four core processor and 2GB of RAM. No detailed specs on the GPU only that it's "high performance" but I'm going to go with it's more powerful than the Vita. Can listen to music in the background. Controller support for seven players on the same console($40 each for a controller and only comes with a remote control not a controller) and currently they have the first season of The Walking Dead from Tell Tale and Minecraft as well as all the other app games that can be purchased from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CX5P8FC/ref
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I'm interested in the Fire TV. Particularly that, eventually, the folks from XDA-Developers will eventually hack the unit, increasing the potential tenfold (for example, unlocking Google Play or even changing ROMS...perhaps).

I hope that someone eventually offers a full, detailed review of the unit to see the pro's and cons.

And for emulation...
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

since the ouya I've been interested in a good android based gaming device since I don't care for doing so on a phone or tablet for some games. No interest in ouya so its this or some sort of add on for my phone/tablet

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I dunno. With Gary Busey endorsing it, I'm pretty sure I'd stay away unless you want to contract second hand crazy.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

My gf just bought one for me (they had a deal you pay 24 bucks up front and 20 a month)

So far I like it. Don't even need to root to sideload. Already have android apps and emus on it. Xbmc, es folder, etc.

Everything runs great. The only problem with it so far is the 8gb storage gets eaten up quickly. No way to install an external hdd yet.

You can hook up windows 360 gamepads on it. You can also plug in mouse and keyboard.

Can't wait to see where this thing goes.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies