Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Famicom Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Famicom Games

I was curious since I hadn't seen it really come up if anyone here was into the old Famicom games? I recently got an adapter and picked up a few and they're giving me a feeling of liking old Nintendo stuff back again since the trash have ruined the US market.

If anyone here is into it, or sells/trades them, let me know!

I'm curious if anyone has some personal favorites that maybe worth snapping up. I buy mainly on ebay and NA, though if I saw stuff here I'd do that too, but I don't look to sign up to more websites for that alone.

Currently I have Armadillo, Dragon Buster, Family Derby, Rampart, Twinbee 3, Wai Wai World 2, and I've got Moon Crystal and Crisis Force in the mail. I'm finding these games pretty fun and it gives me that lost feeling of something new and of wonder with the old stuff since much of it we didn't get stuff here that even felt like this. We don't really get horse jockey games, Namco avoided releasing much in that era here of the arcade ports, we got tamer but some good shooters, but nothing really too quirky, and the konami line up platformer is a slick twist as much as Konami's take on Rampart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Famicom is really cool. Some real Gems on the system too. Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti and Sweet Home are two of my personal favorites for the system. Very cool stuffs.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the Famicom discussion would probably take place in the Import-Mania sub-forum. Additionally, Famicom World is a great place for Famicom discussion, as you can imagine, although the emphasis on pirates over there bores me a little.

I only have 29 Famicom titles, but I'm slowly trying to turn most of my NES collection into a Famicom collection. The carts are smaller and take up less room and generally censorship on NES carts makes the original, authentic cart more desirable. Plus, as you mentioned, the tons of early arcade ports are a must-own: Dig Dug II, Mappy, Nuts and Milk; and that's not mentioning the Japan-only shooters like Parodius (although those in PAL territories got a release, NTSC-U did not) and Gradius II.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Most of the Famicom discussion would probably take place in the Import-Mania sub-forum. Additionally, Famicom World is a great place for Famicom discussion, as you can imagine, although the emphasis on pirates over there bores me a little.

I only have 29 Famicom titles, but I'm slowly trying to turn most of my NES collection into a Famicom collection. The carts are smaller and take up less room and generally censorship on NES carts makes the original, authentic cart more desirable. Plus, as you mentioned, the tons of early arcade ports are a must-own: Dig Dug II, Mappy, Nuts and Milk; and that's not mentioning the Japan-only shooters like Parodius (although those in PAL territories got a release, NTSC-U did not) and Gradius II.
    Yeah, I forgot about Gradius II. Very nice as well. Also, the size of the carts are just right that you can fir them in those old Cassette tape carriers if you don't mind having the cart only. Pretty cool little fact, BTW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I do have those retrozone titles of Kid Dracula and Gradius II along with the full Donkey Kong Original Edition and it's nice they're real boards and in english not that Gradius II would matter for that one. Sweet Home is a solid game but I'd take a translated copy considering how that one plays and Splatterhouse is on my list of things to get, had a very shoddily done repro of it at one point in english and the language isn't really needed.

I'm only buying them as loose carts, really don't have the room or interest in paying to store away boxes and the manuals I could barely get through with basic hiragana and katakana as my Japanese is beyond shot from a decade of rust.

So far since I didn't list it up front, these are games I'm thinking I'd go for, some are definite, though the list is always open as I like the unique stuff that's highly playable. I'm not opposed to Famiclones for games that were on FDS only (Kiseki no Almana) or are disgustingly expensive (Moon Crystal.)

Bio-Miracle Bokutte Upa
    Daiku No Gen-San (Hammerin Harry)
    Holy Diver
    Kero Kero Keroppi no Daibouken 2: Donuts Ike ha Oosawagi!
    King Kong 2
    Kyatto Ninden Teyandee (Samurai Pizza Cats)
    Lupin Sansei: Pandora no Isan
    Madoola no Tsubasa
    Mappy Kids
    Mitsume Ga Tooru
    Mobile Suit Gundam Z
    Parodius
    Recca
    Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
    Star Wars (namco)
    Tetsuwan Atom
    Twinbee
    Uchuu Keibitai (HAL shooter)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You got Recca? Nice! That one continues to elude me, though I've been looking for it. Here's my small offering:

Air Fortress
    Argus
    Bomberman II
    Choujikuu Yousai Macross
    Dig Dug II
    Doraemon
    Exerion
    Faxanadu
    Final Fantasy III (with translated ROM inside)
    Galaxian
    Ganbare Goemon! Karakuri Douchuu
    Gradius II
    Kage no Densetsu
    King's Knight
    Magical Taruruuto-kun: Fantastic World!!
    Mappy
    Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
    Nuts & Milk
    Parodius
    Rockman 3: Dr. Wily no Saigo!?
    Rockman 4: Aratanaru Yabou!!
    Rockman 5: Blues no Wana!?
    Son Son
    Takahashi Meijin no Bugutte Honey
    Thexder
    TwinBee
    Volguard II
    Yossy no Cookie
    Youkai Kurabu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have a handful of carts, but off the top of my head I know I have
    Splatterhouse
    Gradius
    Sweet Home
    Castlevania III
    Macross
    Astroboy
    Tetris (It's different from the US game, but not that great either.)

I guess I should go through and see what all I have, eh?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I probably wouldn't have Moon Crystal if I hadn't been shopping on a site that gives rewards points.
    Was able to use those to drop the price down to something nicer (after buying probably seriously like a hundred or so CIB SFC games).

I have a crazy amount of FC games as well, though many are loose.
    Too long to list them all, many cheap to moderately-price games. Sadly no Bubble Bobble 2 or Gimmick. The priciest for me are Adventure Island 4 and Over Horizon.
    Though I did grab a few before they were expensive: Naughty Kokkun, Lickle, Hebereke, Gun-Nac, Holy Diver, Cocoron, Moai-kun. Regret I didn't get Battletoads when it was like $12. Now the site I could've got it from wants like $80+ for it.
    Last edited by SparTonberry; 04-21-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Holy Diver
    But can you beat it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, As for Myself, i am going to receive the following

Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
    Bomberman II
    Parrallel World (Not the Zelda Romhack)
    Time Zone
    Sweet Home
    Wai Wai World 2
    GUN NAC!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No I don't have Recca, I want it, that's a list of interested in probably buying stuff. Some of those games in your list of things I have on either my Supervision 115in1 or the Golden 260in1 I have.

I have Armadillo, Dragon Buster, Family Jockey, Rampart(Konami), Twinbee 3, Wai Wai World 2. I also have the Golden 260in1 multicart.

In the mail from Taiwan are Crisis Force and Moon Crystal famiclones(old ones without gloptops.) NO way I was going to pay that much on an old game, especially Moon Crystal.

Via retrozone made stuff I also have Gradius II, I'm Kid Dracula, and non-famicom DK Original Edition too.

I was thinking about Castlevania III but I don't have the ability to get the extra sound so I'm on the fence with that one unless I found it cheap. Sweet Home I'd get a new board pirate(ahem 'reproduction') so it was in english. I had a bad bootleg of Splatterhouse I intend to replace with an original. I'd love to get Lickle and Hebreke but damn those get up there like Moon Crystal annoyingly so they're not a priority. Holy Diver I much want and tops my list, but the only US seller is a total ebay dick who refuses to even reply to offers, wants $40(the going rate) but his is sun bleached blue. He emails fine until offers come and he won't take a dollar less which makes the 'best offer' button a joke.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    No I don't have Recca, I want it, that's a list of interested in probably buying stuff. Some of those games in your list of things I have on either my Supervision 115in1 or the Golden 260in1 I have.
    Ah, oops, totally misread that. Sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You're fine, no worries.

I'm wondering since arcade games we didn't get popped up, if anyone had an opinion of Insector-X for famicom? I know it is as faithful as it could be I suppose for the old system while the Genesis took large liberties. I've never played the arcade game and emulator+keyboard isn't the best.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You're fine, no worries.

I'm wondering since arcade games we didn't get popped up, if anyone had an opinion of Insector-X for famicom? I know it is as faithful as it could be I suppose for the old system while the Genesis took large liberties. I've never played the arcade game and emulator+keyboard isn't the best.
    Oddly Enough i was going to win Inspector X along with Gun Nac, but honestly, i saw a video of gameplay footage on youtube, and honestly, the sound turn me very off, especially the music, plus the graphics, it inda look like one of the "better" Pirate Chinase games.

So i went with Wai Wai World 2 Isntead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the future I'm hoping to start collecting various Famicom imports myself. I'm curious about Sweet Home, its the predecessor to Biohazard/Resident Evil, yes? Is it playable without a translation patch?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    In the future I'm hoping to start collecting various Famicom imports myself. I'm curious about Sweet Home, its the predecessor to Biohazard/Resident Evil, yes? Is it playable without a translation patch?
    Sweet Home,was the influence for RE though for the japanese version you would need a walk through to play it.Unless you have the game rom exchange for the translated one.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I've got a few famicom games lately I've been going for oddities or things I know I like so far I have:

Rockman
    Rockman 3
    Rockman 4
    Rockman 5
    Wily & Light no RockBoard That's Paradise
    Castlevania for FDS
    Gradius
    Highway Star
    Z Gundam Hot Scramble (common ver)
    Gradius
    Karateka
    Transformers
    SD Gundam Knight Gundam Story
    Macross
    Dragon Quest
    Dragon Quest II
    Dragon Quest III
    Dragon Quest IV
    Kinikuman wrestle story (I think?)
    3D Hot Rally (FDS)
    Backgammon (FDS)
    Dr.Chaos labled FDS game but I cant remember whats on it, happens a lot since these disks were re writeable
    Baseball (FDS)
    Soccer (FDS)
    Kaette Kita Mario Bros (FDS)
    Popeye no Eigo Asobi (link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeye_no_Eigo_Asobi)

some of those were really hard to get only because how much they usually go for online.
    the original Rockman is one of the more expensive famicom games on ebay according to that guys break down of famicom game sales in the import section, I cant find the thread at the moment but when I do i'll bump It and link it because its good info to have.
    and its not exactly common either so I am supprised it got it.
    collectors seem to scramble over RockBoard, guess its hard to find, along with the Popeye English cart.

Rockman cost me ~$24 Rockboard cost me ~$20 and Popeye English cost me ~$8 and it came with 3 other common games (Gradius Kinikuman & Karateka)

I've got a lot of other imports, I got some just to sell off when I went on my trip to japan....for some reason I haven't sold those off et and japan was a long time ago......I cant believeI have had my Twin Famicom for about 5 years now, seems like it was a more recent addition but I bought it on my trip at super potato for about 102,500 yen....just so you guys know Super Potato takes Visa cards!
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 04-22-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are any of the Famicom Gundam games any good?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Hot Scramble is OK but pretty hard

SD Knight Gundam story has a lot of RPG like story going on, its a top down final fantasy like RPG and since my Japanese has never been great its just too much going on in order to get a good feel for it.
    basicly I haven't played much of it and I have no idea whats going on. what I know is basic in terms of the language, good enough for shooters, and quick decisions in the games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gatucaman: No love for big bugs eh? I kind of see the argument, but it's just the style trying to do the arcade as much as possible, but I didn't focus much on the audio so maybe you're right. You did get a hell of an upgrade as that game is fantastic. I still haven't figured out how to properly trigger your ghost partner konami character as it just seems to rotate and switch and I Know it's not random.

Niku that's an interesting selection. That transformers game I tried a ROM once and the one hit kills I barely could walk two steps it was so annoying. Karateka, Macross, and a few others are solid games on my multicart and that flight shooter gundam is a good one I'm looking to grab in time as it's cheap. Good job on the Rockman stuff, I'd never think to grab those as we have the US releases and I had no idea that first one was pricey for them too. Also unique one there with the Popeye game and surprises me they didn't release that here for the little kids learning english as it could have been the first well before the Sesame Street stuff.

Adventurer: I second the Gundam Hot Scramble Z game as it is a bit on the tricky side after a few levels but it's a fun fast fly around early space combat first person shooter that ends up taking down space colonies with a side scrolling confined shooter around a kind of maze like structure that's not hard to navigate.