Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a Gamecube component cable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone have a Gamecube component cable?

Was just searching to buy one since I'm about reorganize my game consoles layout. I remember seeing this on Ebay a few years back and now its even more expensive. Bids going over 100. Does anyone personally have one and is it light years beyond the composite cableS?

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the right television, it can make a big difference. If you have a CRT that does component & 480p, games will look much better. F-Zero GX looks fantastic using them.

Then again, you can also get the same results with a backwards-compatible Wii and component cables. It may be a little cheaper that way.
    Host of the Retro Game Squad Podcast - check it out at www.retrogamesquad.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, if you're going to use if for Gamecube games it's a total waste as you can buy a Wii with component cables for less than the cost of GameCube component cables.

The real place it shines is if you use it with the Game Boy Player.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It does make a huge difference on just 480i. Say you have a very late CRT with component that can't do progressive scan... the difference is still there. But yeah, I'll echo what everyone else said on a BC Wii and component cables for that system, unless you plan on using it for Game Boy Player.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

So, would using a gamecube brand component cable be better than using a scart cable going to a rgb box?

Also doing a quick google search shows you can get a madcatz universal component cable for about 20$, so why would the nintendo brand cable be so much?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Scart can't do 480p. And those generic universal component cables include composite connections which are the only part of it which will work on a GameCube. They lack the embedded encoder that's necessary and which is why the official cables were expensive and never cloned, so they don't work as component cables when plugged into a GCN.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-24-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Man I'd take the risk and bid on one of the 100 dollar sets on eBay but I know when I do I'm going to find a set at a thrift for a reasonable price

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

RGB from scart needs a PAL console. Specifically what caused that, I don't know.
    I've never seen technical documentation on Gamecube's internal video encoder. The component cable one appears better understood.
    Lum fan.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I wonder if theres a way ala A/V mod style mod to get component out on a gamecube.
    it almost seems as if all the info is there in some form or another

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

The essential part of the component cable is the chip in the part that plugs into the GameCube. That's why it costs so much now, because there's no dupe of it. NTSC Cubes supported component, and PAL Cubes supported RGB (in fact no PAL game has 480p present). A couple of enterprising folks in the UK did hack together a component and A/V cable to allow RGB out of an NTSC Cube, but that's the only way you're getting it. I have two of those leads here along with a proper component cable (bought cheap-ish from Play Asia when they were still in stock!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I wouldn't waste your money on it for a 480i display. It really shines with an HD-CRT. You could try out S-Video, that works just fine for 480i, and okay for a 480p CRT.

I actually prefer hooking my DC to my HD-CRT, over the VGA box connected to an LCD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I wouldn't waste your money on it for a 480i display. It really shines with an HD-CRT. You could try out S-Video, that works just fine for 480i, and okay for a 480p CRT.

I actually prefer hooking my DC to my HD-CRT, over the VGA box connected to an LCD.
    I was looking to get that as well. Would it be better to put it on my 27 inch Panasonic CRT? Its flat screen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    I was looking to get that as well. Would it be better to put it on my 27 inch Panasonic CRT? Its flat screen
    Yeah, CRT doesn't have all of the crappy filters and upscaling that you have to deal with using flat-panel displays. My DC games looked great on my old VGA CRT, but look like ass on the 24" LCD I replaced it with.

I run most of my classic consoles on a (4:3) 32" Sony Hi-Scan CRT that supports 480i/480p/720p/1080i. I just got an S-Video cable for my C-64 and plugged it into this display yesterday. Everything was crisp and easy to see on the screen; it was much better than dragging out my 1084s monitor every time I wanted to mess around with my C-64.

I have a 27" Sony Wega SD display sitting right next to it for light gun games and I had my original Xbox connected to it using component, before getting the Hi-Scan display.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 04-24-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The essential part of the component cable is the chip in the part that plugs into the GameCube. That's why it costs so much now, because there's no dupe of it. NTSC Cubes supported component, and PAL Cubes supported RGB (in fact no PAL game has 480p present). A couple of enterprising folks in the UK did hack together a component and A/V cable to allow RGB out of an NTSC Cube, but that's the only way you're getting it. I have two of those leads here along with a proper component cable (bought cheap-ish from Play Asia when they were still in stock!).
    NTSC cubes have s-video not component. While PAL cubes include the digital output, it's little point without at least a way to force 480p.

Another rarer need for that chip is getting color in 50hz from NTSC cubes. Standard A/V turns black and white.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    NTSC cubes have s-video not component.
    NTSC GameCube's outside of very late production support component which is why this thread exists in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    NTSC GameCube's outside of very late production support component which is why this thread exists in the first place.
    In practice sure. Technically has nothing to do with NTSC or PAL, its chip bypasses that.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What are you talking about? You said that NTSC GameCube's don't do component and I corrected that since it isn't correct. The official Nintendo component cable from Nintendo's online store is how my GameCube is hooked up at this very moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    What are you talking about? You said that NTSC GameCube's don't do component and I corrected that since it isn't correct. The official Nintendo component cable from Nintendo's online store is how my GameCube is hooked up at this very moment.
    That was about the analog port, the digital port was referred to in the very next sentence.
    Besides PAL GameCubes can do component.
    Lum fan.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Problem here is that the official SNES/N64/GameCube S-Video cable is going up in price as well. You're taking a gamble in the quality of 3rd-party and aftermarket ones. Indeed, my Madcatz S-video cable produces very oversaturated colors.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Problem here is that the official SNES/N64/GameCube S-Video cable is going up in price as well. You're taking a gamble in the quality of 3rd-party and aftermarket ones. Indeed, my Madcatz S-video cable produces very oversaturated colors.
    Wouldn't be surprised, if they're mail order. I thought Nintendo of America never sold s-video cables at retail stores?
    Lum fan.